Old 02-05-2010, 04:20 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member
1965 26' Overlander
winfield , Kansas
hi all we had a A/S and whent to a avion. and yes i know the deference. when you all get your A/S maybe marsha and i and the grand kids to meet half way at the grand canyon. and all have a a/s rally. they still let us in even with our avion. oops gota go we have a b day party for our granson. see ya.

bill almond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 08:19 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member
1965 26' Overlander
winfield , Kansas
hi all! we bought our first a/s off of craigslist.and then sold it there and we now have a avion off of craigslist and we like better. and we all have so much fun at the rallys. im sure your a/s club in CA will be as much fun as ours. sorry i cant help you from this far away. but if we where there we would help.{expiate} wax on wax thats a tough i hope you find a shinny one. and if any of you A/S folks are on your way through this part of KS stop by we have full hook ups and there free! so well see you on the road some time.bill

bill almond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 05:43 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member
Fontana , Wisconsin

Hi,Can anyone tell me about How Airstreams are inside in the desert of Arizona, heat wize. I don't know anything about them,and need to put one on a off the grid property. Also how about a heat source and cooling. Would like to go solar. Thank You!! GK.
GKIRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 06:27 PM   #18
Rivet Master
2005 19' Safari
Phoenix , Arizona
Airstream in Arizona Heat

Airstreams are fairly well insulated. For example, in the summer, we camp in Flagstaff where it cools down around 55-65 at night. Then, when we drive down to Phoenix where it's often 110+, after a 2.5 hour drive, it is still cool inside when we unpack. Never measured, but it seems like it is still around 75-80 inside, which seems cool compared to 110.

However, with our Airstream parked in 110+ heat during the day and 95-100 at night, it is just darned hot. Our air conditioner has no problems cooling it down, though. However, our Airstream is small. Larger units may have a little more difficulty cooling, due to the relative size versus AC unit capacity.

If you will be off grid, it will take a lot of solar panels to run an AC unit. I suspect that this will be prohibitive, unless money is no object. You might want to consider a standalone evaporative cooler. They don't work as well, but draw considerably less current. When it's not humid outside, they can be relatively comfortable during the day and darned right chilly at night. Of course, you will have to decide whether 85 degrees and 85% humidity is bearable for you, but it's a lot cooler than 110. Also, realistically, the humidity is probably around 40%; 80% is only during monsoon season (late July/August). Also, you may be in a desert area that is not this hot (Arizona is a big state, and the summer temperatures vary a lot with elevation), and a cover will help reduce the heat load on the trailer skin. Most of the state parks have covers for the campground host's trailers, which helps with the AC.

A generator will probably make running your AC unit feasibile, but this may be costly from a fuel standpoint, especially if you will be living in your Airstream full time. Perhaps someone with more AC experience using a generator can give you an idea of fuel consumption.

By the way, desert areas away from the city heat can cool off a lot in the evenings (mid-80's versus 100 in the city). And, if you are full-timing, you may get get used to the heat. I know that up to 105 degrees doesn't seem bad to most of us in Phoenix, but anything above 115 is just dang hot!
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 09:05 PM   #19
1968 22' Safari
Woodland , California
I am new to Airsteaming too. I just found (and bought) a Safari 22 in California. Here is my advice.

Check Craiglsist every day. WATCH OUT FOR FLIPPERS. People who buy them, do some work on the interior, and sell them for a quick profit. And of course avoid Craiglist scams.

Visit this site. A great article on determining the value of used Airsteams.
Airstream Vintage Travel Trailer Link Library! - Restoration Channel. This is the link to the main webpage, you will need to search for the article on determining used Airstream values.

Insist on an inspection by a qualified Airsteam mechanic or service center as a condition of purchase. The seller shoudn't have a problem with it if they are honest.

Know you tow vehicle's capacities. When you see an ad you can go to the airsteam website and find trailer weight ratings for most used Airsteams.

Be pepared to move quickly. I put in over 2,000 miles of driving looking at various Airsteams in California. I looked at 6 of them before I found one worth buying. I corresponded with at least 20 more sellers before determining a trailer wasn't worth the effort to inspect.

Buy one that was used and loved by the owner. If it has been sitting in a backyard or field for 15 years it will need a lot of work to get it up and running.

I saw lots of ads for gutted trailers. Avoid a total restoration unless you are retied or a person of leisure. If you work full time it will be 2+ years before you have a restored trailer on the road. Hundreds of hours and thousands of dollars to restore a trailer.

There are lots of used Airsteams out there. Be patient, make sure you are getting good value, and buy one that fits your needs and has the layout you want. Personally, I wanted the front dinnette setup, looked for it and found it. It took me four months to find the one I wanted.

Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
djoiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 09:42 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
Currently Looking...
JOY IN , Arizona
Try the fifth wheel first,if you and family like camping then pay out the big bucks.

wbcci ,#3510 NEU & 4cu
firedog is offline   Reply With Quote