Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-04-2016, 06:35 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
You are on your way EddieO ! It sounds exciting. Of course there are trials and tribulations along the way as you folks learn a whole new way of living. I think you will love it.

There are many blogs written by full timers. I particularly like this one:

http://maze.airstreamlife.com/

It is written by Rich Luhr of Airstream Life. The entries are well written as you might expect and have good information in them about the Airstream trailer. Recently I read about their adventures boondocking and managing their battery energy during cold nights.

David
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 08:37 PM   #22
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Hey... congrats!!!

Enjoy~~
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 04:41 PM   #23
Retired

2008 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Livingston , Texas
You will learn quickly to check weather often, and when lows below freezing for more than a few hours, to unhook the hose and make sure the fresh tank is full. Most likely, it was just at those bass fittings where your hose froze, and not the entire hose length. Sometimes, you can disconnect from the trailer and get enough flow to melt what ice is there.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Tom
TVKetchum
2008 Classic 30'
2019 F250 4x4
tvketchum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 02:20 PM   #24
1 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Can't believe it has been a full month since we got on the road. Here's where we went:

- Inks Lake State Park - Excellent park, really liked it here. It was our first stop - and we used it as a homebase to run back and forth to Austin (storage unit and get supplies) as we worked out the kinks.

- Overnight at a rest stop... more comfortable than I thought it would be.

- Tumble In Marfa RV Park - Marfa is definitely a strange place, we had a great time. Saw a Warhol at the Ayn Foundation gallery and went to the dog-friendliest bar I've ever seen (Lost Horse Saloon). Pizza Foundation was very solid. Prada art exhibit (40 miles west) was cool in person.

- Terlingua and Big Bend - I liked the State Park side a bit better - the two dog-friendly trails were short but worth it along with the drive itself. Had to hit the breaks hard (no Airstream attached, thankfully) in the state park as a herd of javelinas ambled across the road. Good food and live music just about everywhere in Terlingua. Hot springs were kind of gross and overcrowded in the National Park.

- Stopped back in Alpine, and had my best food of the month at the Saddle Club (Albondigas Soup). Service was up and down. Stayed at the Lost Alaskan RV Park - which was very nice and was an interesting contrast compared to the other parks we were at (cable and sewer!) - very friendly people.

- Garner State Park - this park looks like it must be really hopping in the summer, was very relaxing in the off-season -- great trails (relatively short, but interesting).

- Lockhart State Park - small place, unclean bathrooms but otherwise well-kept (would prefer the reverse?!). Has a 9-hole golf course on site, but otherwise is just a method to get to the giant beef rib at Black's BBQ.

- Overnight at Cracker Barrel. Waking to the smell of biscuits is ok.

- Padre National Seashore - we literally walked for 2 hours on the beach without seeing another human.

- Galveston Island State Park - great little town, really enjoyed it here. Saw Joe Ely playing live (legendary!), terrified my lovely wife at the boardwalk's roller coaster, and consumed both funnel cake and gumbo (2 of the 3 food groups).

- Sam Houston Jones State Park (Louisiana) - finally exited Texas and started the trek east to Florida, it is good to be amongst trees instead of sand or cactus.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-02-04 09:17 - Inks Lake State Park.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	257995   Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-02-06 17.19.03 - Abigail at Prada Exhibit.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	257996  

Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-02-09 16.55.31 - Big Bend Ranch State Park.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	257997   Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-02-06 17.16.35 - Prada Exhibit.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	257998  

EddieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 07:42 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
You folks are on the road, and on your way. It is so much fun to explore new places and return to the comforts of your Airstream in the evening.

Safe travels,

David
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote