Old 01-06-2016, 09:03 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Originally Posted by Seinbelld View Post
Congratulations!! We actually just ordered a new 30' Serenity and are set to take delivery in April. I work from home and have two little ones, one who's in kindergarten. We are semi considering homeschooling and taking our circus on the road once we get comfortable

Actually.. the real reason I responded is that I also grew up near the PA/OH border in a small town, Grove City (PA). You made it a lot further away than I did... we live in a suburb of Pittsburgh. Where did you grow up? Probably not far from GC if you spent time at Pymatuning!

Congratulations to you too!

Grew up in New Castle, specifically Union Township.

Since this is Western PA, where the main entertainment of my youth was to drive anywhere else (anything to change scenery), I remember Grove City well.

EddieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 09:38 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Mohnton , Pennsylvania
New Member - and Thanks!

Welcome EddieO!!!
You are in for an adventure of a lifetime. We enjoyed Big Bend NP last year even with ice glazed cactus!
Noticed your plan to be in Maine this September....highly recommend the new Schoodic Woods National Park CG
which opened last September. Amazing scenery just north of Acadia and thus far is our favorite campground "ever".
Check my review for more info......
Enjoy your journey,

FCloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 03:48 PM   #17
2016 30' Classic
Mt. Pleasant , United States
Hello EddieO,
We are Newbees as well; signed our Paper Paperwork in Dec15 on a 30' Classic.

I was hoping you wouldn't mind sharing what you found out on boosting your WiFi signal?
Ag47Classic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 03:36 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Originally Posted by Ag47Classic View Post
Hello EddieO,
We are Newbees as well; signed our Paper Paperwork in Dec15 on a 30' Classic.

I was hoping you wouldn't mind sharing what you found out on boosting your WiFi signal?

We're still preparing to get on the road (leave in a little over a week) - so my wifi setup is really just a cobbled together experiment spread across my office and balcony using old parts. Just having fun before I determine the real-world starter configuration - though all the misc. stuff seems to be doing ok.

I already owned the following: an Asus RF-AC66U router (with DD-WRT installed), a 2.4GBz parabolic antenna, and an inline signal booster. Right now my focus is on the router configuration, just want to make sure it repeats another network and the tether to my Verizon mifi is stable. I also want to see how the router responds/performs with disparate types of antennas connected to the 3 ports.

I'm planning on adding one of the WeBoost boosters for the LTE side of the equation. I'm going to try out the Mobile Mark antenna for cell and wifi as the default antenna (low profile and clean in terms of permanent install) - but run an extra cable in case I want to connect to a yagi or an omni high up (which I'm thinking of mounting to a 20' telescoping flagpole off of the tongue).

Here's a random question for anyone lurking: is it ok/respectful to have a yagi on the top of a flagpole with the US flag hanging (just below)? I see nothing in the flag code indicating it isn't, and ship equipment masts often have RF/misc. above the flags - but wondered what folks thought?
Old 02-04-2016, 08:06 AM   #19
1 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
We took possession of the Airstream on the 30th - and were on the road the next day. It took longer to get all our stuff out from the rental house and into the trailer, we had more junk than we realized (don't we all?) - and at some point, we stopped carefully organizing everything and just started piling it in with the plan to sort through later. A couple weeks ago our landlord offered to buy all our furniture and electronics (to be able to rent out the place as a furnished house) - and if that deal had not fallen from the sky - the move would have been a LOT more painful (realistically, Goodwill would have had a great day).

We headed over to Inks Lake State Park - which took around two hours from our old place in East Austin. The rangers' station had closed already - but the system for after-hours self-service was new to me (the idea of a self-service honor system is entirely new to me), but easy enough. Backing into our spot in the dark took 20-30 minutes - first time backing up the trailer and first time realizing it is darker here than I'm used to (city boy, I guess).

We made a day-trip back to the storage unit (discarding a full pickup truck load of junk) - and another to the Container Store for junk to organize our remaining junk. I'm happy we bought the 30' unit, not for the storage (like I thought) - but for the counter space to make a good meal and for the separate dinette and couch to have some personal space.

The fresh water hose was frozen this morning and we had no water from our hookup - created a small panic in my brain before I realized it had sunk to the high 20's last night - down from the low 70's yesterday. The pump and water tank worked fine, and so tea was made and the dog's bowl was filled. My lovely wife is setup at her "desk" (the dinette) and working remotely - I feel no urge to ever work again as of yet. Late today we'll pack up continue west for a bit, towards Marfa Texas - with our first attempt to dry-camp along the way.
Old 02-04-2016, 08:24 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1965 24' Tradewind
1962 28' Ambassador
Mesa , Arizona

Welcome, Congratulations, sounds like its turning out well.

Likely any hiccups you have can be answered here by someone who already went thru the same thing so don't hesitate to ask.

Dry camping, boondocking is fun and very independent feeling. It's just camping with a very nice shell.

I think sometimes people equate dry camping / boondocking to dirty, hungry, transient etc. Not at all. Its all in the perception and creativity of the camper.

Have lots of fun!

Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 06:35 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1966 24' Tradewind
Conifer , Colorado
You are on your way EddieO ! It sounds exciting. Of course there are trials and tribulations along the way as you folks learn a whole new way of living. I think you will love it.

There are many blogs written by full timers. I particularly like this one:

It is written by Rich Luhr of Airstream Life. The entries are well written as you might expect and have good information in them about the Airstream trailer. Recently I read about their adventures boondocking and managing their battery energy during cold nights.

dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 08:37 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Round Rock , Texas
Hey... congrats!!!

Peace and Blessings..
WBCCI# 30676
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 04:41 PM   #23
2008 30' Classic
Livingston , Texas
You will learn quickly to check weather often, and when lows below freezing for more than a few hours, to unhook the hose and make sure the fresh tank is full. Most likely, it was just at those bass fittings where your hose froze, and not the entire hose length. Sometimes, you can disconnect from the trailer and get enough flow to melt what ice is there.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

AIR 71620
WBCCI 5809 Reg 5 Unit 041
2008 Classic 30'
2013 F150 Ecoboost
tvketchum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 02:20 PM   #24
1 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Can't believe it has been a full month since we got on the road. Here's where we went:

- Inks Lake State Park - Excellent park, really liked it here. It was our first stop - and we used it as a homebase to run back and forth to Austin (storage unit and get supplies) as we worked out the kinks.

- Overnight at a rest stop... more comfortable than I thought it would be.

- Tumble In Marfa RV Park - Marfa is definitely a strange place, we had a great time. Saw a Warhol at the Ayn Foundation gallery and went to the dog-friendliest bar I've ever seen (Lost Horse Saloon). Pizza Foundation was very solid. Prada art exhibit (40 miles west) was cool in person.

- Terlingua and Big Bend - I liked the State Park side a bit better - the two dog-friendly trails were short but worth it along with the drive itself. Had to hit the breaks hard (no Airstream attached, thankfully) in the state park as a herd of javelinas ambled across the road. Good food and live music just about everywhere in Terlingua. Hot springs were kind of gross and overcrowded in the National Park.

- Stopped back in Alpine, and had my best food of the month at the Saddle Club (Albondigas Soup). Service was up and down. Stayed at the Lost Alaskan RV Park - which was very nice and was an interesting contrast compared to the other parks we were at (cable and sewer!) - very friendly people.

- Garner State Park - this park looks like it must be really hopping in the summer, was very relaxing in the off-season -- great trails (relatively short, but interesting).

- Lockhart State Park - small place, unclean bathrooms but otherwise well-kept (would prefer the reverse?!). Has a 9-hole golf course on site, but otherwise is just a method to get to the giant beef rib at Black's BBQ.

- Overnight at Cracker Barrel. Waking to the smell of biscuits is ok.

- Padre National Seashore - we literally walked for 2 hours on the beach without seeing another human.

- Galveston Island State Park - great little town, really enjoyed it here. Saw Joe Ely playing live (legendary!), terrified my lovely wife at the boardwalk's roller coaster, and consumed both funnel cake and gumbo (2 of the 3 food groups).

- Sam Houston Jones State Park (Louisiana) - finally exited Texas and started the trek east to Florida, it is good to be amongst trees instead of sand or cactus.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-02-04 09:17 - Inks Lake State Park.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	257995   Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-02-06 17.19.03 - Abigail at Prada Exhibit.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	257996  

Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-02-09 16.55.31 - Big Bend Ranch State Park.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	257997   Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-02-06 17.16.35 - Prada Exhibit.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	257998  

Old 02-29-2016, 07:42 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1966 24' Tradewind
Conifer , Colorado
You folks are on the road, and on your way. It is so much fun to explore new places and return to the comforts of your Airstream in the evening.

Safe travels,

dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote