Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-08-2007, 03:41 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Norwich , Norfolk
Smile New Member and needing help!

Hi to you all. I am Kirstin and I am looking to buy an Airstream 250' 1980's to 1990's motorhome. I live in England but intend to travel to USA to buy one of these beautiful vehicles. I would like to ship my Airstream back to the UK, so would really appreciate any advice on shipping and costs etc. My son and I (he's 4 years old, going on 80) intend to live and travel in our home so would also appreciate advice on fuel consumption and general things I need to consider regarding the Airstream once it is in Europe.
I have been told by friends that I am crazy for even considering this but from the first day I ever saw an Airstream it has been dream and I would love it to become a reality.
Thanks for reading and enjoy
Kirstin
Kirstin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 04:18 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Greenwood , South Carolina
Kirstin-
It's wonderful to hear from the growing UK contingent. You'll find a number of experienced streamers from Britain on this site. Just ask if you need any help gathering information -- we'll do our best. I recently bought my first Airstream from a gentleman in Bat Cave, North Carolina, and he pointed out a trailer to me that he was about to ship to England from Charleston, South Carolina. He said his customers tell him what they want, and if he finds it, he supplies them with a large number of pictures. If they decide to proceed, he drives the trailer to Charleston and puts in on a boat. Apparently the process adds about $3,000 to the price of the trailer, and the buyer is notified on arrival by the port on the other end. You'll find him as RichardT on this site. Use the advanced search if you'd like to contact him. I'm sure he would be glad to answer any questions you have about the process. Good luck with your search and keep us updated on your experiences!
plossl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 07:36 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2003 22' International CCD
Whittier , California
Kirstin---Welcome to the forums. A lot of tech smarts and experience resides here. The MoHo folks will chime in with info on fuel consumption and tips on full time living in a MoHo. Best of luck in your adventure and welcome to the forums.
bobkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 07:54 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Welcome to the forums. I am somewhat hesitant to give advice since I still have not decided how I feel about these rare and beautiful gems going overseas. However. I do have a soft spot for England and even fly the Union Jack!
Go diesel. You will be able to nurse 15 MPG (US gallon) out of the Isuzu engine. Once you get the unit over there you will have to convert the electrical system and repair the damage done in shipping. There is a nice one for sale in the classifieds right now and I have heard of another for sale in Texas. I highly recommend that you get in touch with RichardT. He has experience with shipping these overseas. You will find him to be an honest, straight forward, easy to deal with individual. Lastly, as you probably know you are not the first to consider this. There is even a one guy who drives a classic through the streets of London. I believe his forum name is "Chuckles."
Good luck in your pursuit. If I ever get back to the homeland I will certainly look you fellows up to make certain you are taking care of our national treasures.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Resized chumy with flags.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	167.2 KB
ID:	42808  
Old 08-08-2007, 09:59 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
Dallas , Texas
welcome fellow dreamer!

I too have caught the dream and wanted to both welcome you and also recommend RichardT in Bat Cave - I just bought my vintage Caravel from him and found him very honest and helpful to us newbies.

Good Luck in your search and keep us posted!

paula
pcasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 10:02 AM   #6

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

Best of luck in your search. I'm glad that you are following your dream. Most of us never do.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 10:22 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Norwich , Norfolk
Thank you all for you warm respones and prompt replies. I will contact richardt as he seems to figure high on honesty with you all. I have had a few replies regarding shipping, one from a UK company as well. I certainly hope to keep in contact with you all and hope to meet fellow Airstreamers in the UK and Europe.
I am not sure if I would have to change the electrics - could I not just get a transformer??
Old 08-08-2007, 11:33 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
1960 22' Safari
Stamford , Rutland UK
Send a message via Yahoo to Maybricks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirstin
Thank you all for you warm respones and prompt replies. I will contact richardt as he seems to figure high on honesty with you all. I have had a few replies regarding shipping, one from a UK company as well. I certainly hope to keep in contact with you all and hope to meet fellow Airstreamers in the UK and Europe.
I am not sure if I would have to change the electrics - could I not just get a transformer??
Yes you can put in a transformer and that will give you 110v services from a 240v hook-up but that is all you will get and a building site transformer which is what most people use is not a stable enough supply on it's own. Electronic equipment will not like it and you will soon find that things stop working.

That is not the biggest problem

The biggest problem is that in the event of something going wrong you will find that your insurance company will not pay out.

For example.
Supposing you have an accident one day and you get a small galley fire.
Mr insurance man comes along and does an inspection for your claim and finds that the fire was caused say by a fat pan........No problem untill he finds that the gas system wasn't up to code, the domestic electrics where not up to code and to cap it all you have AC (240v and 110v) runing through the unit with no earth bonding??????

Your claim will not get paid and further insurance would probably be refused

Even in the event of an RTA where someone else is to blame if the insurance inspector examines your vehicle and finds any fault then the claim will be invalid and you will pay out.

Lots of folk go down the route of "it's ok, I don't need to do that" and lots of folk get bitten------------------we have ended up picking up the pieces on more than one occasion.

Your choice but not worth the risk. All these regs have a reason and most have been bought into play for folks own safety and should only be ignored at your peril. You would not ignore the regs Stateside and you should not ignore the regs in the UK either

PS building site 110v tranies buz like hell and will keep you awake at night
Maybricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 11:41 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
1960 22' Safari
Stamford , Rutland UK
Send a message via Yahoo to Maybricks
BTW You do not need to "change " all the electrics just have the job done proper like along with gas and sanitation.
We always retain all 110v appliances where possible we just lay a 240v supply over with kitemarked consumer units and stabalised supply to satisfy insurance.
Maybricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 11:50 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Norwich , Norfolk
Thanks for that and very useful information. I am very impressed with the responses I have had so far. Once I find a suitable airstream I will be back in contact for help and more information.
Old 08-08-2007, 07:53 PM   #11
Rivet Master

I have PM'ed Kirstin, and would like to say thank you to all that recomended me, It has been an honor serving all of you.
RichardT
RichardT is offline   Reply With Quote