Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-28-2007, 10:33 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1991 34' Limited
Port Orchard , Washington
Question New member & Green horn around here

G'day,
New member & green horn around here.
This is not my first RV. Have owned trailers and motorhomes and enjoyed both. I live in the Great Northwest. Puget Sound area of Washington. Also traveled in New Zealand & Australia in rented motorhomes. Great 64 day trip in '06.
I have recently purchased a re-furbishing project.
1991 60th Aniversary 34' Classic Limited Edition
This will take a lot of work, but I bought it for only $2,000.00 so I can put a few dollars into it & still have a clear conscious & bank acount.
All exterior is in pretty good shape. One small dent in right rear corner that I can fix. All new tires in 2002.
Has 3 solar panels and battery charger. Do not know at this time if they work.
Interior is a different story.
Reefer was rebuilt in in 2003. New water heater in 2002. Nu-Tone kitchen center all works, but need a couple pieces. Still not sure of Air conditioner or the furnace, but they can be fixed or replaced.
The previous owner was a HEAVY SMOKER and had two small dogs she did not take care of. I have taken out all carpet & pads. Will replace after all other re-do stuff is done.
Have the ceiling, walls, cabinets, counters and bath room cleaned. but will clean them AGIAN.
I am throwing away the upholstry & foam for the dinnete & couch. Will buy all new foam and upholstry. Same goes for the matresses as this model has twin beds in the rear. I have freind in the Upholstry businessso not to expensive.

I will need to find and buy the following:
Front roof air vent w/fan, complete, to fit the curved roof.
Complete set of curtains, new or a good clean used set.. These are so stained from smoke I can NOT get them clean.

If someone knows where I can buy these items (and I am sure others) I will be thankful for the information.

This is a good forum.

Thanx,
Claude
catson4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 10:44 AM   #2
Married to Soldiermedic

San Antonio , Texas
Welcome! There will be alot of resources here at your disposal. Kinda funny Had a condo once that sounds alot like your AS when my husband bought it. Good luck on the search for needed items I do not know much about AS except for I really like them.
CombatMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 10:50 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1970 23' Safari
1956 26' Cruiser Overlander
Lambertville , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by catson4
G'day,
New member & green horn around here.
I have purchased a re-furbishing project.
1991 60th Aniversary 34' Classic Limited Edition
This will take a lot of work, but I bought it for only $2,000.00 so I can put a few dollars into it & still have a clear conscious & bank acount.
All exterior is in pretty good shape. One small dent in right rear corner that I can fix. All new tires in 2002.
Has 3 solar panels and battery charger. Do not know at this time if they work.
Interior is a different story.
Reefer was rebuilt in in 2003. New water heater in 2002. Nu-Tone kitchen center all works, but need a couple pieces. Still not sure of Air conditioner or the furnace, but they can be fixed or replaced.
The previous owner was a HEAVY SMOKER and had two small dogs she did not take care of. I have taken out all carpet & pads. Will replace after all other re-do stuff is done.
Have the ceiling, walls, cabinets, counters and bath room cleaned. but will clean them AGIAN.
I am throwing away the upholstry & foam for the dinnete & couch. Will buy all new foam and upholstry. Same goes for the matresses as this model has twin beds in the rear. I have freind in the Upholstry businessso not to expensive.

I will need to find and buy the following:
Front roof air vent w/fan, complete, to fit the curved roof.
Complete set of curtains, new or a good clean used set.. These are so stained from smoke I can NOT get them clean.

If someone knows where I can buy these items (and I am sure others) I will be thankful for the information.

This is a good forum.

Thanx,
Claude
Claude,

Sounds like a fantastic deal that you got on that trailor. As for roof vent with fan, I believe most people here will tell you as well as myself, you will want a fantastic vent. The Fantastic vent company sells through distribution out by you and they do make a curved riser for Airstreams. There is also a company in FL (St. Pete area) that makes awesome curtains for AS, but they are a bit pricey. You can do a quik search for curtains here and get the name of the company. Congrats and good luck ith your trailor.

Yes, I am still working on it.
drag'nwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 10:54 AM   #4
Mel
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Claude, welcome! I can sympathize with you - the previous owner of our Caravel was a heavy smoker who owned two long-haired dogs. I agree - it doesn't seem like you can clean the walls and ceilings enough! Still, you've come to the right place for support and information. Good luck and post some pictures of your project when you get a chance!

Oh yeah, and the Northwest has a very active group of Airstreamers. (Check out the thread on the Beverly Beach rally.) Hope to meet you on the road one day!
Old 08-28-2007, 11:38 AM   #5

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us. Congratulations on your new baby. You're going to love Airstreaming.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 11:47 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Similar messages..

Claude-

This thread looks like duplicate of the other one, but for history of touring down under... See some suggestions over there... JP AMbruso is the curtain maker in Florida, and "Fantastic Fan" is the name of the vent company... Dealers like Camping World won't have the curverd inner molding/bezel, but they'll supply it from factory at little or no charge if you call and ask...

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 01:25 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Claude...welcome to the forum and enjoy the adventure ahead with your Airstream! It'll be a great ride!

Happy Trails,
TB
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 01:40 PM   #8
_

. , .
hi claude

welcome to the forums and 'streamin...

love the port orchard area

removing as many porous surfaces as possible is good

so is the cleaning...

a friend used one of those 'steam/hot water' cleaners on his old unit and it really really did a great job

the insulation is glass fiber and may reek tobacco odor for years....

so consider renting one of these...

Ozone Generators, Ozone Generator Technology, Air Purifiers, Black Mold Killer, HEPA Filters by Air-Zone Ozone Generators and Air Purifiers

i'm not sure they really work as claimed BUT many folks have used them with satisfaction...

when can we have a rally at your place?

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 01:48 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
You might also look up one of our forum members who does upholstery and AS/Argosy curtains, SilverThreads. You'll find several members have ordered curtains and posted praise reviews.
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 02:41 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Welcome!

Play with "search" you'll find lots of resources. I agree with 2Air on the oxygen generator - I have one in my newer trailer and if I turn it on for just a few minutes any objectionable smell disappears. I don't like to smell yesterday's bacon today, etc. There is also the "Gawd, how long has it been since I dumped the black tank?" reminder... and if an ozone generator can get that whiff out of the bathroom, it can surely take care of the remainder of the smoke/dog smells.

Paula