Old 07-02-2013, 10:29 AM   #1
Currently Looking...
Marquette , Michigan
New member and Airstream Wannabe

Hello all!
I am so glad to found this Airstream Site!
I am a new member of the Air Forums and have lots to learn about the site. I have always been drawn to Airstream trailers and Motorhomes. In two years, I plan on retiring and my wife and I (mostly me) would like to purchase a used Airstream motorhome and do some traveling. We have lots of grandchildren to visit! I love the Classics, but don't really know much about their dependability and safety. I have been trying to learn the values and what the reasonable purchase costs would be, but they seem to all over the place. How does one know what is a fair price? Are there sites that help with this? Are there dealers or gatherings where a novice can go to meet and talk with people who are experienced with Airstream motorhomes and travel? We live in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan (Marquette). I have been following the ads on the classifieds page,
mostly looking at the 92 to 96 models. I am excited about the adventure in all this, but there is so much to learn!! Thank you for any advice.

Tim B.

Tim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 12:15 PM   #2
Rivet Master
1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
The Wisconsin unit of WBCCI has rallies in Northern Wisconsin and you are welcome to drive into a rally and look around and talk. You can go to their website and read their newsletter from there to see what their schedule is WBCCI Wisconsin Unit There is also a unit in lower Mich and Min. Set the price you can afford and find the latest model that is the best shape and big enough for your family.

dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 12:34 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
Nellysford , Virginia
Welcome, Tim. Linda and I were in the same place you are just two years ago. We had never owned or pulled an RV before, but we knew we wanted Airstream. We narrowed our search by deciding we needed a walk-around queen in the rear and only had about $20K to spend. We also settled on top-of-line since we were only buying her once (so far). So, that meant Excella or Classic. Because of the wood and the look we wanted our years fell between 1995-2005 roughly, and the length settled in at 30-34 feet. We watched the classifieds here and on Saw many good candidates, but most were very far from Virginia making it tough to go look at them. One day the perfect one came up in S. Carolina. We're not yet retired, but we've taken The Silver Otter to 38 states and 2 provinces so far. You WILL find your perfect AS.
Greg and Linda Heuer
'99 Excella 30 w/HAHA - The Silver Otter
'08 Chevy LTZ 2500HD 6.6 DuraMax
TAC VA-18 | WBCCI 1927 - Unit 149 | AIR 53869
Silver Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 03:41 PM   #4
Currently Looking...
Marquette , Michigan
Thank you for the info about the WBCCI Wisconsin Unit.
We will for sure plan on visiting a rally to meet people and begin to "learn the ropes".
We will check out Michigan and Minnesota too.

Thank you for your post and encouragement. Wow, 38 states in only two years.
I hope my wife and I experience the same kind of success. I think this is going to be
a quest we will enjoy.

Wishing you all good travels!

Tim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote