Old 09-11-2012, 10:47 PM   #1
1972 31' Sovereign
Seminole , Alabama
Red face New Member-AL

We, hubby & I, we're just given a '72 31ft Sovereign. Kind of them, but my oh my, what a mess! This maybe the least of my concerns at the present, but does anyone have any advice, or point me to something that has already been discussed, we have dual paned windows and it looks like they put a film between the layers. It is cracked and peeling. The vista windows have it all settled at the bottom. How can you fix this? Can you take the window out so that the weather striping can be replaced? Also, can the door come off the hinge so weather striping can be replaced as well. Thank you for your time!

Tiffanyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 11:02 PM   #2
Rivet Master
1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Congrats on your new Airstream. Your life will be forever changed. Whatever problems that you have to solve have probably been solved before and will be documented on this forum. Use the search engine above to find whatever area you need to research.

I would not think that you would need to remove the door/hinge to replace the weather stripping. I would warn against doing this- new solutions have new problems.

Enjoy your new Airstream.

TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 11:59 PM   #3
1972 31' Sovereign
Seminole , Alabama
Thank you for responding so quickly. I see your wisdom with the door hinge. I should have made myself more clear. There are two slits in the aluminum near the hinge on the outside, weather striping on the door and screen door need replacing and the screen as well. If I don't have to take the door off - Great! I am not sold on this unit as yet. One thing I do like about it is the pulling, nice. But so far, very filthy. I know, it isn't the trailer, but it's inhabitants. What I have seen of Airstream, it seems well built.
Tiffanyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 06:17 AM   #4

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

Hi from just the other side of Pensacola. Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have to with us.

Congrats on your new Airstream. Stay tuned here to find the information that you will need to get your baby back in shape.

When you search for information on these Forums if you don't get what you are looking for on the internal "search" function, try a Google search. For instance, try a Google search of airforums door hinge.
SuEllyn & Brian McCabe
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2011 Silverado 3500 (Fred) with Outfitter Truck Camper (Ethel)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 08:10 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
Greetings, and welcome to the wonderful world of Airstream. Our trailer also needed a lot of work when we first got her, but it is worth it.

All of your gaskets can be replaced without removing windows/doors. "Out of doors mart" may be your closest source by mail/internet for gaskets etc. I suggest using black automotive trim adhesive (3M) in addition to the sticky backing on the gaskets. I need to go down to our trailer and fix that today because I didn't use the 3M the first time.

I am not exactly sure what part of Alabama Seminole is in, but there is a very active unit of the WBCCI here in north Georgia. The group owns a campground in north GA and holds rally's there throughout the summer. We will also be holding campouts all over GA this winter. We would love to have you join us, and it would give you a chance to see a bunch of different Airstreams, what people have done to them, and provide a lot of helpful folks for your repairs. Feel free to send me a "PM" for more info.
Craig and Carol
1997 34' Excella 1000
1970 27' Overlander, International
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote