Old 04-27-2007, 05:17 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
Middleboro , Massachusetts

Hello everyone. I am looking at a very old 1946 airstream in need of alot of work. All the parts are there but this trailer has long ago seen better days. I can't find any information or pictures to verify if this is indeed an airstream. It is boxy, has a radio panel, looks like airstream hardware inside and is flat alluminium on the outside. The interior once was masonite panels. It has a small bunk and then a larger bunk on the door side and the kitchen was on the opposite side. The dinette area is in the front to the right of the door. Does this sound like an airstream? The owner is going sell it for scrape metal if it doesn't sell soon. It is located in Whitman, MA. What is the value of this trailer and should it be saved? I currently own a 1969 shasta. Any thoughts?

Old 04-27-2007, 05:42 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
Quote:
Originally Posted by danastas
Hello everyone. I am looking at a very old 1946 airstream in need of alot of work. All the parts are there but this trailer has long ago seen better days. I can't find any information or pictures to verify if this is indeed an airstream. It is boxy, has a radio panel, looks like airstream hardware inside and is flat alluminium on the outside. The interior once was masonite panels. It has a small bunk and then a larger bunk on the door side and the kitchen was on the opposite side. The dinette area is in the front to the right of the door. Does this sound like an airstream? The owner is going sell it for scrape metal if it doesn't sell soon. It is located in Whitman, MA. What is the value of this trailer and should it be saved? I currently own a 1969 shasta. Any thoughts?
Hmmm Boxy, not good

Check this out
47Liner

Where are no record on this site of a 46, buyer beware

Got pics??

'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 06:05 PM   #3

Currently Looking...
Middleboro , Massachusetts
I am being very cautious. I will have to scan the pictures but will try to have them posted by tomorrow. Someone was speaking about following your gut on this type of purchase. In my heart of hearts I don't think it is an airstream but thought I would see if those who know can prove me wrong. There are no decals or any emblems that say it is an airstream. However, I looked at the flyer for the 1939 and it does look like a silver cloud in shape but the door opens the opposite direction, towards the back ratherthan the front. I enjoy puzzling these things out, doing a bit of detective work. I have learned alot from the vintage trailer forums and enjoyed restoring the little shasta 1500. I look forward to more comments once the photos are posted.
Old 04-27-2007, 06:22 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Bertram , Texas
Oh sure, tease us a bit, make us wait How is the hull and frame? Hey, I owned an old aluminum trailer of unknown make years back. Heavy as could be with a solid wood planking. Not something one wanted to pull often, but comfortable as could be. HAd the old rounded back end, shower and household commode...no holding tank...piped right to the sewer...

In any case, welcome aboard. If you have a question, someone will have an answer
Old 04-27-2007, 09:15 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64

Greetings danastas!

Welcome to the Forums!

I wonder if it might possibly be one of the early (1930s production) trailers that made use of masonite. There are at least two pictured on the Vintage Airstream Club website:

Idenitified as approximately 1934: http://www.airstream.net/images/model.jpg

Identified as a 1932: http://www.airstream.net/images/picnic.jpg

Or possibly a Byam Holiday from the early 1950s: Vintage Airstream - '52/'53 Holiday

Good luck with your quest for further information/documentation!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 05:13 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
Quote:
Originally Posted by danastas
I am being very cautious. I will have to scan the pictures but will try to have them posted by tomorrow. Someone was speaking about following your gut on this type of purchase. In my heart of hearts I don't think it is an airstream but thought I would see if those who know can prove me wrong. There are no decals or any emblems that say it is an airstream. However, I looked at the flyer for the 1939 and it does look like a silver cloud in shape but the door opens the opposite direction, towards the back ratherthan the front. I enjoy puzzling these things out, doing a bit of detective work. I have learned alot from the vintage trailer forums and enjoyed restoring the little shasta 1500. I look forward to more comments once the photos are posted.
Can't wait to see the pics, post some of the Shasta too!

'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote