Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2007, 01:56 PM   #1

1976 31' Excella 500
Lafayette , Colorado
Talking New member

Big Howdy,

Am just starting out in the AS community. Am a semi-retired general contractor who has had it with the traditional world (if you read me, you'll understand). Found a 1976 31 ft AS Excella (Roy) at a price I couldn't refuse. Now I think I'll make a life for CoCo and myself on the road. A process that didn't happen in that order. I'll be towing my AS with a 1986 3/4 ton Suburban (Larry)((keeping it Classic)).
My initial stop will be in Gunnison, CO. where I'll be readying Larry for the adventure. I have completely rebuilt a double wide trailer and turned it into a house in my former life. Thought that this would be the place to spend my final days but things did not work out that way. Now it's CoCo, Larry, Roy, and me. Larry according to the seller is in working condition but he needs beautifying. That is my job. Will try to restore some of his original lustre and keep my personel tastes down to a minimum.
Want to get his weight down to as little as possible, gas being what it is. I Like the idea of getting rid of items in the living area and replacing them with collaspable, light weight, furniture, and a awesome surrond sound home theatre (I'll be the one watching Arnold blowing up stuff). Otherwise things will be pretty much original.
So, this is why you find me writing here. While I can build a house from the ground up I am somewhat perplexed by my AS. I want to test all the systems and make sure things really do work but have no idea as to how things are actually supposed to. So I have been trying to get a owners manual and have come up with blanks so far. Does anyone have any ideas? Would appreciate any tips on where I might find one.
Am totally interested in any tips you all might have on full time rving also. While things should work out financially in the future for not working at all. I still need to supplement my income for the next couple of years anyway. I read cards (Tarot) and thought Quartzite would be a good place to spend part of the winter. What do you think?
Bob
stuckin60's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 02:27 PM   #2
Desert Fox

1985 31' Sovereign
Tucson , Arizona
Smile Hi Bob,

Welcome to the forum. You picked a great trailer to play with. Airstream factory will have owners manuals for you. I do not remember how much they cost.
As for setlling down for the winter did you ever cosider Tucson Az.? Quarside is a small town that gets big during the winter when the snow birds show up. In tucson there is more permanent residances and plenty of work if you want to do it. You can probaly get a handy man job with no problem.
The weather is hot during the summer but mild in spring, autum and winter.
If you need some info on Tucson let me know.
Regards Russell in Sunny Tucson Az.
RUSSELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 03:10 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
San Antonio , Texas
Hi Bob, and welcome to the forum. The search function here can help you find as much advice as you can handle. There are a lot of members here who have ongoing projects with their Airstreams, and are very willing to help out when you need it. If you can build a house from the ground up, restoring your Airstream won't be a problem.

'05 Excursion 4x4, 6.0 PSD, magnaflow, helwig anti-sway, air lift springs.
Stream 1529 is offline   Reply With Quote