Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-28-2017, 09:25 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2007 28' International CCD
San Marcos , California

Hello Fellow Airstreamer's. I am a new member here, but an Airstream owner for 10 years now. So far, we have been vacationing with our Airstream mostly in California. Next year will be our first long journey in our 28 foot International CCD. We will go from our home in San Diego to Bar Harbor Maine and back. I am in the detailed planning stages right now for this 10,400 mile trip in about 130 days. I am delighted to hear any of your questions or thoughts as I begin this new journey. Best regards, Mike
BlueStreakSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 07:34 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Hello from Colorado. I'm glad you decided to join Air Forums. You have a lot of Airstream experiences.

Well, well, you are going to see a lot of our beautiful country on your trip to Maine. There are lots of "harbors" in Maine, so be sure to allocate time to see several, not only just Bar Harbor.

You might as well visit a little of Colorado either coming or going. It is cooler here in the mountains. You might consider the northern route across Minnesota, Wisconsin, then Sault Ste Marie. You can re-enter the USA and cross New York and New England. This is the way we went and found it very good. Bug spray required. Avoid interstates if at all possible. You will enjoy your trip much more.

You will get good travel advice here on the Forums.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1409 Bar Harbor View (Small).jpg
Views:	251
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	299977  
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 08:36 PM   #3
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreakSD View Post
Hello Fellow Airstreamer's. I am a new member here, but an Airstream owner for 10 years now.

I am delighted to hear any of your questions or thoughts as I begin this new journey. Best regards, Mike
Welcome to the AirForums!

If you don't mind me saying, you'll generate a lot more discussion if you ask questions of us, rather than inviting us to ask questions of you.
Old 11-28-2017, 10:48 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
I would be interested in what detailed planning means to you. If you know where you plan to stay every night, it will get frustrating very quick if you're not flexible.
Chicken for dinner on Tuesdays, eat out on Saturday, etc. don't get that detailed.
We've done several long trips and the fun is getting away from this rat race and taking the trip from a perspective you might have imagined when you first saw an Airstream and letting it play out.
Just don't run out of fuel, propane, or battery power and you get to stay in charge of your trip. (Okay wine and beer too)
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 06:29 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
I agree. One of the best aspects of Airstream travel is NO PLAN. We often just load the trailer and take off with a general destination in mind. We usually hope to stay on the road for three weeks or more. If we are tired, we stay an extra night. If the camp ground is no good, we move on early the next morning. Pulling your "tiny house" with you gives a lot of options.

Airstream adventures keep you young.

David
Old 11-30-2017, 10:52 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

San Marcos , California
Busted!!! (In a good way!)

Thank you guys for responding to my first post. You read me very well. My obsesive-compulsivness must have really came through! I have fifteen pages of a VERY detailed itinerary, and the concept of spontaneousness is not evident anywhere. If I read your comments correctly, you are suggesting that I use my itinerary as a "guide", forgo the precise and exact reservations, and take it as it comes on the road. Boy, is that ever against my nature, however I sincerely see your point about relaxing and taking time to smell the proverbial roses. My first question is have you ever run into full campgrounds and not have a place to stay? Did you simply go to the nearest Walmart parking lot? We do intend to go into Canada, as our children and grandchildren live there. What information can you share with me about the border crossing? Thank you, again, for taking the time to respond! Mike
Old 11-30-2017, 10:55 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

San Marcos , California
We are absolutely going to come through Colorado on our way home. Any suggestions on sights to see or places to stay? Mike
Old 11-30-2017, 10:57 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

San Marcos , California
Randy, are you an expert in converters, inverters, surge protectors and the like? Mike
Old 11-30-2017, 05:58 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Tourism is a major Colorado industry. There is a ton of suggestions out there. We like Steamboat Springs, Rocky Mountain National Park (crowded), Breckenridge, Crested Butte, Durango, and on and on. You need to plan your towing route carefully as a lot of mountain roads are difficult with sharp switchbacks and significant dropoffs. I look for truck routes. If a semi can do it, so can I.

David
Old 11-30-2017, 06:06 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Glad to see so many comments about not planning too much. We travel 2-3 months at a time and might have one or two reservations for camp sites. We pretty much know where we’re going but will change course is it suits us. For two years in a row we traveled for two months and had to be in a specific place at a specific time for events we attended. We felt like we over scheduled ourselves.
Old 11-30-2017, 06:07 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
A few years ago we were planning on driving though Colorado - maybe taking a few days. We liked what we saw so we stayed two weeks.
Old 12-01-2017, 07:46 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

San Marcos , California
David, thank you very much. I will investigate those places. I appreciate your suggestion, too, regarding truck routes. That is great advice. All the best, Mike.
Old 12-01-2017, 07:48 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

San Marcos , California
Yes, the advice about over planning has really hit home with Patti and I. We are now going to use our Itinerary as a "guide" and not make firm reservations every date of our trip. There are a couple of hard dates that we must meet, like the ferry across Lake Michigan, but we can certainly "lighten up" and go with the flow a lot more than I originally intended. Mike
Old 12-01-2017, 07:57 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

San Marcos , California
TPMS and Wireless Back UP Cameras

Thanks to everyone who has responded to my plans for a long tour next year. As part of this tour, I am going to purchase and install a TPMS for the trailer and a Rear View Wireless Camera for the back of the Airstream. I have tried most unsuccessfully to purchase a TPMS system, and have failed miserably on two occasions. I think I was going too cheap, and could never get them to successfully operate. I am now looking at a Pressure Pro system, having been told that they are the best. Does anyone have an experience with Pressure Pro? I am just beginning to investigate the rear view camera. Any suggestions for this item? Thanks, Mike.