Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-01-2006, 07:44 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1992 34' Excella
Roanoke , Virginia
Thumbs up New Member-15 year full timing Airstreamer

My wife and I have been living and travelling full time in our 1992 Model 34 Excella. We have had an RV for 41 years, but this is our first Airstream. Our log shows that we have towed our Airstream over 160,000 miles. We've towed it to 49 states (We flew to Alaska), through every Canadian Province, and most of Mexico. We sold our house in 1991, put a few things in storage, and hit the road. Our current tow vehicle is a 2003 Ford F250 with a 6 speed manual transmission. It does a really superb job, getting over 12mpg with the gas engine. We find ourselves starting to slow down alittle since we have been almost everywere we want to go and are now going back to places we have been to and like to visit again occasionally. We recently purchased a Condo up north where we intend to spend our summers. During the winter we'll spend our time in the Airstream in Florida. We'll travel some in the winter from our base in Florida. We have always travelled alone, do not belong to WBCCI, and have caravaned only once, that being through the Copper Canyon with the rig on the train on a Airstream Company Caravan. When I first suggested it (Full Timing), my wife was against it but agreed to try it. Now she says that she wouldn't trade a day of the last 15 years for anything.
billco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 07:53 AM   #2
Mel
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Billco - welcome to the forums. After reading your post, all I can say is, "Wow!" What amazing experiences you must have had over the past 15 years of fulltiming! Glad you checked in with us here, and please do post more. I'm sure you've got lots of advice on destinations!
Old 11-01-2006, 08:00 AM   #3

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Welcome to the Forums. We stand in awe of your experience, and in envy of your travel memories. Please stay on the Forums and share your knowledge with us newbies.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 08:02 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Incredible! Congratulations. I should live so long--I got my first Airstream 9 years ago.

You could do us all a favor and start a thread on how to travel through Mexico. I'd like to try it and I'm no shrinking violet, but the rumors of narrow roads, crazy truck drivers, spotty fuel, scary cops, and robbers sort of put me off.

Anyone else have inputs on Mexico?

Zep
Old 11-01-2006, 08:22 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
billco---I can't tell you how much we appreciate your story. Wife and I stand on the brink of fulltiming with plans to begin next spring. We have, like you, camped an Rved most of our 45 years of married life. We have sold our home and have a small apt with only minimal furnishings. While we are both on the "same page" as to the decision, we're undecided as to weither we should give up the apt for the first few months. We realize we could always re-rent an apt and return. Still we're a little apprehensive about letting go of the apt. for a few months. Perhaps you could give a little insite into this last decision.
pieman
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 09:29 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1992 34' Excella
Roanoke , Virginia
We waited

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis
billco---I can't tell you how much we appreciate your story. Wife and I stand on the brink of fulltiming with plans to begin next spring. We have, like you, camped an Rved most of our 45 years of married life. We have sold our home and have a small apt with only minimal furnishings. While we are both on the "same page" as to the decision, we're undecided as to weither we should give up the apt for the first few months. We realize we could always re-rent an apt and return. Still we're a little apprehensive about letting go of the apt. for a few months. Perhaps you could give a little insite into this last decision.
pieman
We kept our house for one summer while we travelled. We wanted to be sure about full timing. We didn't want it (Full Timing) to be a non-reversable decision. I'd be in no big hurry to give up the apartment as 6 months more or less won't make much difference in the overall picture.
Old 11-01-2006, 01:25 PM   #7
Mom scared by aluminum

Currently Looking...
Phoenix , Arizona
Welcome Billco. It must be quite an adventure travelling like that, like to hear some good stories.

Someday, I hope, I'll be there with you.
dmaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 01:37 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Welcome

Billco, glad to have you aboard. You have pulled of what is a dream for many. Since you have had the 34 for many years and have had other units I would like to hear your opinion about Airstream and the quality. Pulling the same trailer for 160 K miles has to show some type of satisfaction with Airstream. I also think that not trading for a newer unit also shows a good basic design. Looking to hearing a lot from you.

Jim
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 01:50 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by billco
We kept our house for one summer while we travelled. We wanted to be sure about full timing. We didn't want it (Full Timing) to be a non-reversable decision. I'd be in no big hurry to give up the apartment as 6 months more or less won't make much difference in the overall picture.
billco---Thanks for your reply and willingness to be a sounding board for those of us at this point. We had pretty much decided as you advise. We have taken on a seasonal workcamper job. Our thought was we would do this and then make the final move is we still feel as we do now. Again thanks for your input---pieman
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 02:00 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1968 20' Globetrotter
Albuquerque , New Mexico
my wife and i are in invy of your great adventure,great story BILLCO---------hendrie42

hendrie42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 02:35 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

1992 34' Excella
Roanoke , Virginia
For Jim Clark:

We towed 6 different trailers over the 41 years but the only Airstream is our current 1992 Model 34 Excella. Other trailers were roomier but we had kids at home then. Airstream is best towing trailer we've had. I don't really know if that's due to it being an Airstream or that we tow with a "Pull Rite Hitch". This hitch is wonderfull. My wife said that if I'd ever go back to a Reese, she''d quit travelling. No sway, no truck feelings, only having to swing wider in filling stations, etc. However, we spend most of our time on the road-not gas stations. If we didn't travel so much we'd probably get a 5th wheel with a couple of slide-outs. Would like more room, BUT, towing so much it's nice to be low for trees in some parks and campgrounds. We've had no problems in our 160,000 plus miles other than tires, water heater and toliet replacments, not Airstream unique. I intend to keep my 1992 until, and if, it won't move anymore.
Old 11-01-2006, 04:36 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Thanks for the Reply

Billco, thanks for the reply. With a trailer receiving such mileage I have to believe that the quality is built in. I also like the low profile as it saves me the cost of storing the trailer in a commercial yard. The Airstream is the only trailer I can get by the overhang of my home. I have to use a power dolly to park the unit in the backyard, the clearance is that close.

If you fill the urge and have the time please relate your Copper Canyon adventure. In years past a large parking lot near my home was used to stage motor coaches which were then loaded on a barge and pushed up the Mississippi River.I have also seen barges loaded with motor coaches tied up on the river visiting for Mardi Gras. If you happen to have pictures I would like to see them.

Thanks for Joining the Forum

Jim
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Old 11-01-2006, 05:18 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

1992 34' Excella
Roanoke , Virginia
For Jim Clark

I believe the quality of the Airstream's in 1992 was really good. I understand that since then people feel that the quality has gone down. I really don't know, but we have had absolutely no coach problems and we are very satisfied. As far as the Copper Canyon trip, Airstream no longer runs the Company Caravans. Our company caravan was poorly laid out and poorly run. I think it's better that Airstream no longer runs caravans. Wally B. would be very unhappy with their performance. The Canyon and the trip was beautiful. We saw many people on "Tracks to Adventure" caravans making the same Copper Canyon trip, and it appeared that they run a very Professional caravan. From what I saw, I would not hesitate recommending them and would certainly book with them if I were a "Caravaneer".
Old 11-01-2006, 05:23 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Thank You

Quote:
Originally Posted by billco
For Jim Clark

I believe the quality of the Airstream's in 1992 was really good. I understand that since then people feel that the quality has gone down. I really don't know, but we have had absolutely no coach problems and we are very satisfied. As far as the Copper Canyon trip, Airstream no longer runs the Company Caravans. Our company caravan was poorly laid out and poorly run. I think it's better that Airstream no longer runs caravans. Wally B. would be very unhappy with their performance. The Canyon and the trip was beautiful. We saw many people on "Tracks to Adventure" caravans making the same Copper Canyon trip, and it appeared that they run a very Professional caravan. From what I saw, I would not hesitate recommending them and would certainly book with them if I were a "Caravaneer".
Thank you for the information, I will check out Tracks to Adventure. I am looking forward to reading your future posts.

Linkie

http://www.trackstoadventure.com/

Jim
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Old 11-01-2006, 10:46 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Welcome & Wow!

Wow!

Welcome to the forums. Glad to see you onboard. We'd love to hear of some of your favorite camping spots for your A/S! Also pictures, we love pictures!

Mrs. NorCal Bambi (traveling in S Tardis)
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 10:10 AM   #16
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaddyGrn
Wow!

Welcome to the forums. Glad to see you onboard. We'd love to hear of some of your favorite camping spots for your A/S! Also pictures, we love pictures!

Mrs. NorCal Bambi (traveling in S Tardis)
I'll second this. The campground review section of the forums is pretty limited in the # of reviews that have been posted. It would be great to see some of your favorites listed there, or put them all in a thread. Photos are always great for us visual types.
Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 07:59 PM   #17
Stray

1987 32' Excella
1978 28' Argosy 28
Springfield , Missouri
billco,
Welcome. Looking forward to learning more of your experiences as a full time Airstreamer. My wife and I are working towards that end. My wife retired this year, but can't see my way clear just yet to do that. I did meet a couple at Airstream facility in Jackson Center, Ohio a couple weeks ago that had been full-timing for the past 11 years. The lady said something when we were talking about the subject that has stuck in my mind ever since--"you will never be any younger or healthier than you are right now". Hmmmm Again, welcome to the forum.
Old 11-26-2006, 09:10 AM   #18
1 Rivet Member

2007 30' Classic S/O
Crestview , Florida
Send a message via Yahoo to flantiquer
30' Excella Airstream

We have enjoyed three years in our 30' Airstream Excella and have recently sold it and now in pursuit of a prior owned Airstream motorhome. We think Airstreaming is the way to go! We have met many wonderful friends through our camping with other Airstreamers and family.
flantiquer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 08:54 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Sounds like you're living alot of folks dream. What limitations did the 34 put on you. I'm conflicted about moving up in size. Places you couldn't go or camp. How many times did you hear, "they don't still make those do they?"
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote