Old 09-11-2009, 06:56 AM   #29
2 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
Hanover , Pennsylvania
Carl,

Thanks for the comments, and your HWH bypass suggestion. To answer your question, no I didn't put a bypass in place. I actually never thought about it as neither of my previous campers had one, nor did this one, but it makes perfect sense. When it comes to winterizing I actually take a slightly different approach than typical...I don't put an anti-freeze in the lines, I instead completely empty the lines. I use a air pressure valve connected to the city water inlet, then using a compressor I blow the lines empty after letting the lines and HWH drain on their end first. This process has been very successful for myself the last ~7 years, and for my father-in-law who recommended the process to me for the last 20+ years. It takes slightly longer to winterize, but is very easy when taking it out of storage, no anti-freeze to flush out.

Hopefully I can still salvage some fall camping, as that is our favorite time of year to camp.

Also, I see you're from PA as well. I'm new to AS, but seems like we don't have many members (at least on the forums) from PA. Good to talk to you.

Thanks again,
Eric

Old 09-11-2009, 07:54 AM   #30

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
That's one fine looking Airstream! Glad to see you are making progress getting the girl ready to camp.

HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 09:11 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Mohrsville , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerson77 View Post
Carl,

Thanks for the comments, and your HWH bypass suggestion. To answer your question, no I didn't put a bypass in place. I actually never thought about it as neither of my previous campers had one, nor did this one, but it makes perfect sense. When it comes to winterizing I actually take a slightly different approach than typical...I don't put an anti-freeze in the lines, I instead completely empty the lines. I use a air pressure valve connected to the city water inlet, then using a compressor I blow the lines empty after letting the lines and HWH drain on their end first. This process has been very successful for myself the last ~7 years, and for my father-in-law who recommended the process to me for the last 20+ years. It takes slightly longer to winterize, but is very easy when taking it out of storage, no anti-freeze to flush out.

Hopefully I can still salvage some fall camping, as that is our favorite time of year to camp.

Also, I see you're from PA as well. I'm new to AS, but seems like we don't have many members (at least on the forums) from PA. Good to talk to you.

Thanks again,
Eric
Eric,
I too blow the lines out with compressed air and becuase I am a worry wart I still fill the lines with antifreeze...just in case.

There are a few active Airstreamers in PA, but not as many as in some of the western states. I always keep and eye out for PA Airstreams.
TAC PA-3
S/OS#042
AIR #14487
NQ3U (was KB3UOM)
DEITZ645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 09:36 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I too add antifreeze after blowing out the lines. I don't trust that all water gets out and have found out the hard way that water can remain in the toilet line and the kitchen sink sprayer. It takes two to blow everything out or to make sure antifreeze or compressed air gets through the lines. Also, there's a bypass kit for the water pump that allows you to send antifreeze through without getting it in the potable water tank.

The pressure relief valve on the water heater should be replaced. It's a good idea to test it every once in a while to make sure it works.

My water heater instructions say it is very difficult to fully drain it and it will retain 1 gal. or so and that's ok. It can be flushed out in the spring. It's also good to put some antifreeze in the sink traps, black and grey water tanks and toilet bowl to keep seals lubricated and traps from freezing.

I lived in Pa. from 1958-64 and 1967-69 in Bethlehem, near Easton, outside of Wilkes-Barre. Beautiful state and if you get rid of the humidity, we would consider moving.

Gene
Old 09-11-2009, 09:48 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Talking It's Not The Heat It's The Humidity

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
I lived in Pa. from 1958-64 and 1967-69 in Bethlehem, near Easton, outside of Wilkes-Barre. Beautiful state and if you get rid of the humidity, we would consider moving.

Gene
Gene,
Combine the heat and humidity in the summers with the freezing rain storms we've been getting the last few winters, and PA is a paradise.

Going way off topic here, but our general area also received over 10" of rain in the month of August and I'm still cutting grass twice a week.

All kidding aside, PA is a great state to live in.
TAC PA-3
S/OS#042
AIR #14487
NQ3U (was KB3UOM)
Old 09-11-2009, 01:33 PM   #34
2 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
Erie , Pennsylvania
This rig looks great!!!! No dents, clean, and still original. You may have less work than you think. It appears to have been under cover. I dont see the ussual signs of heavy oxidization. Hopefully due to the storage you wont have a host of water damage issues or rotten floors. I have a 76 and I love it!!! I used to have a new keystone and it was a great trailer but it just wasn't an airstream. I was always envious of the airstreams whenever I would see one out. Now I have one and I would never go back. Update us with some more pics when you get them.
Old 09-11-2009, 06:53 PM   #35
4 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Dayton , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Alwhisman
Beautiful AS Eric! Congratulations, and it being your Grandfather's is really cool! I got mine from my Grandmother, but she wasnt the original owner.....

Enjoy,

Al
Old 09-11-2009, 07:57 PM   #36
The Silver Schooner

2007 28' Safari SE
Dover , New Hampshire
Nice trailer

I've been following this thread and admire the work you are doing - which is way beyond my abilities. That's a very nice trailer and it's made even more so by the fact that it was your grandfather's. Enjoy it.

Here's a tip I learned from the tech at the dealer when I picked up my trailer regarding draining the water heater. Isolate the water heater with the bypass valve. After you take the plug out of the water heater and the water stops draining out take about a 2 to 3' length of hose (acrylic sold by the foot in the hardware store works) and insert it into the plug hole of the water heater as far as it will go - so you can feel it hit bottom. Use it as a syphon and you can get all the residual water out of the water heater, I got about a gallon.

I did put antifreeze in the sink and shower traps and the toilet - but not in the lines. I also disassembled the kitchen sink sprayer and the shower head and made certain they were drained and I removed the under the sink water filter and brought it inside so it wouldn't freeze. I did this last winter, blew out the lines with a compressor, making sure to open the pet cock on the bottom of the trailer and left it open until it stopped dripping, and she was fine through a nasty New Hampshire winter. In the spring I filled the tanks and was ready to roll with no problems.

I may have been helped by the fact that my father was a plumber and I helped him on occasion - repairing baseboard radiation that had multiple breaks in the copper tubing as it had been frozen among other projects - he taught me a lot - but this time I was on my own with my new baby and I was pleased that I worked it out by myself.
Old 09-11-2009, 08:42 PM   #37
3 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Hattiesburg , Ms
Send a message via AIM to gutsgolf Send a message via Skype™ to gutsgolf
Eric, That looks like a little gem. You really have a great unit , you and the family will have some great times ahead. If we can be of any help please let us know.
"Silver Belle"
AS 16741
gutsgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 10:52 PM   #38
2 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
Hanover , Pennsylvania
Latest progress...

Well first off, thanks for all the kind and helpful comments.

It's been about 2 weeks from my last update, so I thought I would share what I've been up to...

Now that the plumbing is mostly done (extremely small drip on my check valve, and the original kitchen faucet leaks and needs torn apart) I've focused on the running gear. I knew that new tires were required and after MUCH forum research and several headaches I've chosen new Maxxis 225/75R15 8-ply radials. A local tire shop was able to get them next day for a good price so that was a pleasant surprise. I've chosen to use the original steel wheels, but may replace with aluminum wheels later. I did read about a safety concern regarding not reusing the original steel wheels when moving to "D" rated tires from the original "C" rated tires. I've not found much info backing up this concern, nor did my tire guy feel that it was a concern at all, especially with how good the shape of my wheels were in (only minor surface rust and dirt) so I've opted to mount the new Maxxis tires on the original steel wheels. Even though the steel wheels will be hidden behind the factory hubcaps, I decided to help prevent additional rust and to also help make them look better on the off chance I loose a hubcap, to clean and repaint them. After a few hours over two evenings using a 1/2" drill with wire wheel, I was able to clean most of the surface rust and dirt off to prepare for paint. I picked up some automotive wheel spray paint that didnt require a primer, and also could be recoated within the first hour so two coats of paint on the wheels only took about an hour total.

After mounting the updated wheels with new tires, I took the opportunity to check the brakes while I still had the AS on jack stands. Turns out none of the 4 brakes really showed any stopping ability. I adjusted the brakes and still nothing. After pulling off one of the drums it was pretty evident that the magnets were shot, but the pads still looked good. Knowing that the axles were shot, I had two options; 1) fix the brakes now temporarily but throw those fixes away this winter or coming spring when I replace the axles, or 2) just bite the bullet and do the axles (w/brakes) now. I've opted to just do the axles now...so out came the old axles, out came the tape measure, and out came the phone to call Dexter. I have spec'd out everything I need for the new axles which will be from Dexter. I hope to finalize the order with a local trailer shop tomorrow morning and have them ready to pickup next Friday! I will share more details on my Dexter axle replacement in a later post, hopefully it is good feedback!

I also had my neighbor replace all my original window screens which will make a big improvement in appearance. Anyone know 1) a better replacement for the "fuzzy" seals than the original fuzzies?, and 2) What is a good glue to install the new ones? Currently InlandRV is the only place I can find replacement fuzzy seals, which is where I will order from, unless someone knows a a better replacement for these seals as compared to the original gray (nylon/polyester/?? material) seals AS used.

Cheers,
Eric
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8106.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	87627   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8120.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	87629  

Name:	IMG_8124.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	87630   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8130.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	87631  

Name:	IMG_8132.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	87632   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8140.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	87633  

Name:	IMG_8141.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	87634  
Old 09-24-2009, 05:42 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Not Foolin' Around

Eric,
Man you ain't foolin' around are you? The tires and "new" wheels look good. And from the looks of things I won't have to come down to Hanover to help you with the axles either. If you get the new axles on by next Friday you can still make it to the Fall Colors Forum Rally in Clarion. Just let me know if I should save you a site.

As for the window fuzzies...If you put new ones on they really do work, so I wouldn't really obsess over re-engineering them. You can also get them at Out of Doors Mart in North Carolina. Then it just comes down to a matter of cost, shipping, and who you would like to deal with. They are both great to deal with.

Fuzzy Seal for windows and doors 683946 [683946] - $1.59 : ODMRV , Out-of-Doors Mart

PS - I did get your PM about your S.O.B. trailer and will get back to you as soon as I get time to show the pictures to my daughter & son-in-law.
TAC PA-3
S/OS#042
AIR #14487
NQ3U (was KB3UOM)
Old 09-24-2009, 10:25 PM   #40
2 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
Hanover , Pennsylvania
Carl,

I wish I had realized that I would be replacing the axles so soon, I would have tried to push it up a week or two and then we would be at Penn Wood next weekend. Unfortunately the axles won't be available for pickup until after lunch on Friday. In theory if all went smooth (HA, like that ever happens!) I could mount the axles and still salvage Saturday at Penn Wood. Realistically however, like Stacey has pointed out to me, there is no way that is happening. I do appreciate your offer to give me a hand on the alxes, but again the timing just didn't work out.

Don't worry about our other trailer, no hurry. We aren't planning on selling until the spring anyway. If you talk to Stacey, she not convinced yet that the Airstream will ever be fully "ready", as I keep finding new things that need fixed. So she is a little reluctant to sell our "old" (2005) camper, as she wants to camp, whether it is in the AS or not.

I placed an order with Andy at InlandRV this evening to get new "fuzzy" seals, as well as a few other things I need. I think Stacey would have had those new seals on the top of the priority list before axles, tires, converter, HWH, plumbing, etc. She loves to camp and the outdoors, but when it comes to bugs they MUST stay outside!

If I don't talk to you before, have a great time at your rally! I hope you guys have a great week. All yeah, when your feet are propped up on Friday evening eating a smores, think of me, I'll probably be laying on my back trying to drill new holes in the frame and/or scratching my head!

-Eric
Old 09-24-2009, 10:37 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Eric,
I was just joshing with you about getting axles installed and up to Penn Wood in one day. I hope your new axles mount on the first attempt.

I'm not much on smores, but I will be having a few Ice cold Lord Cesterfield Ales around the campfire Friday evening.
TAC PA-3
S/OS#042
AIR #14487
NQ3U (was KB3UOM)
Old 09-24-2009, 10:46 PM   #42
2 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
Hanover , Pennsylvania
Aahh yes another Yuengling fan, I guess we're kind of partial though being from PA! I'm not a huge Chesterfield fan, just the regular Lager for me. Have you ever toured the brewery? That is a great tour to do if you haven't already.