Old 06-27-2016, 10:29 AM   #1
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arlington Heights , Illinois
New Kid on the Block

I am a few months from retiring (not really as I have a new part time venture lined up) and I have been dreaming for years about RVing. I have looked at diesel pushers, 5th wheels, etc. but always come back to the Airstream - maybe because it is so practical, nostalgic and classy! My "bucket list" includes wandering the US with no real timetable and visit as many of the National Parks as I can - visiting with friends along the way.

I am planning to buy a used Airstream - 25 foot seems like it will be the perfect size (I want a queen bed and enough room to be comfortable). I am thinking a refurbished 2000'+ vintage would be in my price range. My question is, what is the best way to start researching, talking with owners, maybe even renting one? I live in the Chicago area. Appreciate any guidance from the forum!

rgg123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 12:42 PM   #2
Rivet Master
1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Welcome to the Forums!

One of the best opportunities to talk to AS owners and look at trailers is to go to a rally in your area and attend the "open house." Otherwise, you can research to your heart's content here on the forums. Usually doing a google search from outside the forums, and including the search term "airforums" will get you the most accurate results. Most of the question you may have have already been asked several times, so the information is already there, just needs to be harvested.

You might also look into joining your local chapter of the WBCCI--this will put you in contact with lots of owners as well.

good luck!

Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 03:01 PM   #3
Rivet Master
2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
RG - Welcome to the forum. Lots of info in the threads here. There is also a lot of information in the Colonial and Long Long Honeymoon videos. Watch a few renovation videos on U-tube as well. One thread that may help is on the Low Cost Airstream introduction. It strays into a lot of quality and function issues associated with the AS product line.

Go see a wide variety of AS models. Sitting in a trailer is helpful unless you are exceptional at envisioning a three dimensional configuration from a two dimensional layout. The videos before and after help here too. Not as many on older models so shopping will be your tool.

You are not far from the Jackson Center Manufacturing Plant. Plan a visit. See why folks go there for service. See how the coaches are built. Understand what it takes to work on the trailer.

Caution - leaks.....the killer of ASs that are not properly maintained. So your plan to look for a renovated AS is a good idea. Take care to verify competent work and include appliance, brake, axle, and tire condition.

Caution - known problems......the design of some trailers had issues. The 22 in 2001-2005 had frame failures. Older trailers did not have the seam tape that installed in newer models. Not all problems are killers and a DIY person can profit from projects tat they have the ability to resolve.

Caution - a lot of trailers are projects that will never be completed. Understand what your capabilities are and are not.

Your Queen bed requirement would also be found in a 23FB (same as 25 with a bit less space at the foot). The 22 sport has a big bed, but no room around it. You have to go to a 27 to get the access on both sides.

Good luck on your investigation. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote