Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-11-2011, 08:37 PM   #1

1971 27' Overlander
Tulsa , Oklahoma
New in Tulsa

This may be the hardest email I will ever write. Since my dad passed away in October, I moved back to Tulsa from Maine to help mom with things. Dad had asked me if I thought I could move back if anything were ever to happen to him. He knew that I would do the right thing. Well, for the past thirty years mom and dad have had a 1971 Airstream Overlander International. Growing up, an Airstream was always a part of our family. Dad has taken care of the mechanics,set up and tow while mom was in charge of immaculately caring for the interior. This was dad's baby. The 27' was his most loved when it came to the tow. They have had smaller and they have had longer, but this one was his favorite. To make this story short, mom wanted me to sell the whole "kit and kaboodle". Her motive was so that another family could enjoy it instead of seeing it everyday, just missing dad fiddling around her, waiting to go somewhere. How cruel. My siblings and I understand how painful it must be for mom. She has journals from their many travels all over the country and Canada and memories that will always be there. Mom knows this Airstream is so use to being on the road and must long to be there again.

Well, we have found a buyer. He is flying in to Tulsa tomorrow. But, he has never owned a travel trailer. He is very enthusiastic and optimistic. My question is, how can I provide him with a simple hitch up and go guide which go beyond the owner's manual and schematics. Dad added on an electric hitch and EZ sway bar assembly years ago and also a Valley brake system onto the '96 Chevy Tahoe. I haven't been here to help him hitch up and couldn't be able to tell the new buyer what to do. I know that dad winterized it before he got ill last year and the tires are newer. Our buyer will be picking it up on the 20th and I am hoping that between now and then I might be able to hear from someone on this site that could help me prepare our buyer the best I can so that he will have an excellent experience. Dad was all about preventative maintenance, which is why this Airstream got a premium price and the Tahoe get's to stay with her for a while longer. It is a great package.

I look forward to any advice from anyone who can appreciate my dilemma.

Sincerely,
A loving daughter
c.labella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 06:13 AM   #2
Addicted

1971 27' Overlander
Currently In: Skowhegan , ME
I have the exact same trailer here in OKC. If you pm me, I'll give you my email address and contact info, and can help you out. If you have access to the trailer, the easiest thing might be to get on the phone and walk you through how everything works and what should be done...mine's in the front yard and is 95% original, so everything should be the same.

Just let me know.

Visit our crazy full-timing blog (us,kids and dogs living the dream): https://www.airstreamingdreaming.com/

Join us at the TAC Walt Disney World Rally, November 4th - 10th, 2012: https://www.theairstreamersclub.org/rallies/tac-fw-wdw
exthemius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 06:21 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1970 25' Tradewind
Cleveland , Texas
What a great story. Thanks for sharing and blessings to your family.
Adam
Eliminator46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 08:11 AM   #4

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
I sent a pm but may someone from Tulsa could come over to help you out.
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 11:43 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Hey c.labella --- I understand your sentiments about selling your family trailer. I can imagine how it pulls at your heartstrings because I have a similar story. But my mother sold the trailer (her parents) without allowing me (their only grandchild) to even bid on it. I still hold strong resentment against my mother for that choice... Thankfully, I have found some of their journals and photos and keep them close to my heart.

So, onto the reason for my reply to you....

My grandfather had served as President for the Airstream Club - the Wally Byam Caravan Club International, WBCCI. When he passed away, the WBCCI reserved their number. When I, some 20 yrs later, got my own Airstream I contacted the WBCCI and regained *ownership* of their (retired) number. It gives me such happiness to hold their number and continue on in their memory.

If your family was a member of the WBCCI and the trailer sports the large red numbers on the front/aft maybe you can request the new owners to remove the number see if the WBCCI will *hold* the numbers for your family in case you too decide, one day, to own an Airstream.

Just a thought that might give you some comfort... Laura
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 10:51 AM   #6

1971 27' Overlander
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Thank you for your support

Hi to all,
Thank you all for the kind words of encouragement and recommendations. I sure do wish my Dad had been able to get on this site to connect with this community. He would have loved the access to fellow lovers of the open road in the comfort of an Airstream. A family excited to help troubleshoot and advise the newcomers and old timers, a source of wisdom unparallelled in the world of recreational vehicles.

Well, mom's buyer arrived on Thursday. I picked him up at the airport in the Tahoe. Pulling into the driveway he said, "there she is!" Nestled into her special spot under the live oak, shaded from the Oklahoma sun. He walked around her, kicked her tires and proceeded to open doors and hatches. Like a time capsule, we saw how dad had left the hoses and electrical cords wound so neatly. Dad had left even the Sam's sales receipt for the new battery in a zip-lock attached. The manual and schematics with his hand written notations from his younger day's when he was able to do the brake work and other preventive maintenance details he so loved to do himself. My heart was lifted by his appreciation and attention to my mom and dad's "favorite thing". There was no question, this buyer was and is still so excited to have her.

Before our buyers arrival, I made copies of several helpful articles from this site about subjects that would concern me were I in his shoes. For instance, an excerpt about "the first tow", a drawing of the electrical plug specific to this model and what prongs effect which light, "Dump Station 101" plus the helpful comments and the one about the Propane tanks, finally, "Winterization", by the same author. Reading material for his return flight. Then after talking with a Service Tech from Dave's RV's here in Tulsa I was given the name of a reliable Road Service Tech. Our buyer made contact with him on his layover in Dallas and he will be coming out on Wednesday to De-Winterize and hook her up to the Tahoe. Fortunately, our buyer will have a buddy with him on Saturday, the 20th, who has experience and will share the long drive back to up state NY. This is such a relief to my mom and I.

The transaction went smoothly for us all at the Bank and our buyer made it back to the airport with time to spare and titles in hand, happy as a clam, all in one day. Dad would be so proud of how it all took place, even though he really didn't want to sell her while he was living. That just wasn't the towel he wanted to throw in.

I will be giving our buyer the sage advice to join in this site. He will fit right in and I am sure you will all make he and his wife feel welcome. Thank you again. Happy trails to you all!

Sincerely,
Camille
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	a-outside4.JPG
Views:	129
Size:	1,011.0 KB
ID:	129803  
c.labella is offline   Reply With Quote