Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-21-2008, 12:58 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1958 18' "Footer"
1966 17' Caravel
Pierrepont Manor , NY
New in NY

Hello everyone,

My husband and I recently acquired a 1958 International GlobeTrotter (OI 2201). It seems in fairly good shape...though I'm hardly qualified to make that assumption...never having had any experience with a travel trailer before!

I've been reading the forums for a couple months now educating myself. I have a ton of questions and alot are going to show how terribly clueless I am. Fortunately I've found this community to be very pleasant and accomodating to people like myself... thanks!

I'm pretty excited to get started so I'll be taking my questions over to the restoration subforums soon to get some advice with my project.

Hi and Hello again,
Robin
MTnestRobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 01:08 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
Welcome and congratulations. You've taken on a big project; however, it may be the beginning of some great memories for both of you. I hope the excitment stays with you through all the Airstreams to come....and there will be more! Don't ask me how I know.
Old 03-21-2008, 03:56 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Congrats on your new project. My wife goes up your way several time a years to fish in Pulaski.
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 08:18 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTnestRobin
Hello everyone,

My husband and I recently acquired a 1958 International GlobeTrotter (OI 2201). ... I have a ton of questions and alot are going to show how terribly clueless I am. Fortunately I've found this community to be very pleasant and accomodating to people like myself... thanks! Robin
Hi Robin:

Welcome aboard and congratulations on your neat 1958 Airstream. To learn alot and get many of your questions answered in a few days, bring your trailer as is to this nearby-to-you event:

Vintage Trailer Jam '08

Here is a Airforums thread about the event:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f290...8-a-40180.html

There is nothing better than in person explanations, with someone pointing at and describing things, to get you up to speed. You can also look at other people's trailers for solutions to the same issues you are facing. And seeing many older trailers being used by their owners will give you and your husband a big shot of inspiration. Hope to see you there!
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 08:58 AM   #5

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Welcome from the Florida Panhandle

Welcome to the Forums, Robin. We're glad to have you with us. Congratulations on your new baby.

Feel free to ask any questions here. I personally handle the really easy ones like, "generally speaking, what color are Airstream trailers?". The more dificult questions will be handled by someone more competent.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 01:12 PM   #6
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up Welcome From WNY

Sounds like a great trailer, but we demand pictures.

Keep us posted on your progress.

You didn't get any Spritzer fallout on ya up there did ya?
Old 03-21-2008, 01:44 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1958 18' "Footer"
1966 17' Caravel
Pierrepont Manor , NY
Thanks all for the warm welcome!

Quote:
To learn alot and get many of your questions answered in a few days, bring your trailer as is to this nearby-to-you event:

Vintage Trailer Jam '08
Wow! This is just what we need, thanks WeeWind for the links! I will have to work on the husband though, somehow he doesn't share my enthusiasm for the trotter. He sees it as a money pit and is reluctant to "get into it!"!"

Not me...I just jump in and yell for help!

Hmm...probably should try another tactic...I do want him to LIKE this!
Old 03-21-2008, 04:53 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1988 29' Excella
Hammond , New York
Hi,

Congrats on your find!! We found ours last year after looking for sometime. We had a family member pass away and bought his 1988 29' excella 1000 which is in very good shape. We live about 35 miles north of Watertown in the town of Hammond. Oh, by the way, our girls basketball team is the NYS State Champions for the second year in a row !!!!!!
woodenicol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 05:26 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
Welcome from Central NY

Welcome - you've got one neat Airstream there. CrankDog here on the forums is from central NY also and also has a 58 Globetrotter. You've got to attend our central NY Washington DC WBCCI Unit Boondocking Rally in June here in North Norwich, NY. It'll be a good time had by all! I've got a 58 Sovereign of the Road - 30 footer. Looking forward to meeting you. Post some pictures.

Rob
https://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - https://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 03:35 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1958 18' "Footer"
1966 17' Caravel
Pierrepont Manor , NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodenicol
Hi,

Congrats on your find!! We found ours last year after looking for sometime. We had a family member pass away and bought his 1988 29' excella 1000 which is in very good shape. We live about 35 miles north of Watertown in the town of Hammond. Oh, by the way, our girls basketball team is the NYS State Champions for the second year in a row !!!!!!
Sadly we aquired ours very much in the same way! An unfortunate consequence of that (beside the obvious), is we can't ask them "whats this, does that work, and where did you put x... etc." We are on our own with this baby and we know zip! Before the snow fell and buried it I manged to get in and clean it out (uh...yeah!...it came very close to going for aluminum scrap that day!) Now after spending the winter researching the trotter I'm looking out the window a little more fondly at it! My brother in law and sister in law would be happy to know someone in the family was keeping it.

Congratulations indeed, on the girls winning the championship!!!! A lot of hard work goes into a program to get that far!

If you are ever down our way stop in! We live one easy mile from Exit 40. I'd love to have someone tell us what's what on the trotter....or more likely, what's NOT on it!

Robin
Old 03-22-2008, 03:55 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1958 18' "Footer"
1966 17' Caravel
Pierrepont Manor , NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by robandzoe
Welcome - you've got one neat Airstream there. CrankDog here on the forums is from central NY also and also has a 58 Globetrotter. You've got to attend our central NY Washington DC WBCCI Unit Boondocking Rally in June here in North Norwich, NY. It'll be a good time had by all! I've got a 58 Sovereign of the Road - 30 footer. Looking forward to meeting you. Post some pictures.

Rob
Hi Robandzoe,

Its nice to know there are airstreams in NY! After reading through the forums most of the winter I developed the idea that the mecca for travel trailers was in the West! And while that may have some truth to it, I'm encouraged to know there are some nearby (relatively speaking)!

I'd love to make it to a rally, especially one so close! Since we don't know, and haven't been able to get a good look at what we've got (see previous post why), I wonder that we could get to a rally in so short a time! Of course, if its boondocking (our kind of camping), guess it doesn't matter if nothings working! Well maybe the brakes....and hmmm, what else...?

Robin

PS. I think this trotter use to live down your way, years ago!
Old 03-22-2008, 07:14 PM   #12
LJH
Rivet Master

1985 27' Sovereign
Defiance , Ohio
Welcome Robin. Sounds like a fun project. There's no lunium like ol'lunium.
LJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 06:22 AM   #13
Rivet Master

Plymouth , New York
8 in the area

We've got 8 Airstreamers here in the central NY area. And yes, come on down for a boon docking (aluminum tent) rally. We've got a 58 Sovereign, 54 Safari and a 65 Caravel with a 64 Trade Wind that my town is raffling. My uncle over the hill (5 miles from me) has a 68 Sovereign, a 60 Trade Wind and and a 93 34'er. I think his username on here is Stanton66. RoverOwner on here has a 61 Ambassador. CrankyDog has the 58 Globetotter, a 65 Overlander and a 72 Ambassador (I think). Virginia has a 75 Argosy. The Inmans (Aria something here on the forums) have a 67 Globetrotter. We go camping with the Vandamme's out of Rochester who have a 63 Trade Wind (Sig) and Alex who is working on a 57 Custom 22'. So, you're not even close to being alone here as a Airstreamer in the NY area. We're all going to Westcott Beach State Park over Labor Day too! Our boondocking Rally is a WDCU WBCCI event and it's around the Sherburne Pageant of Bands. It'll just be a good ole camping weekend with alot of fun people. Give me a call anytime if you have any questions - number is in my signature. Post some pictures - so we can all see your beauty. Why do you think your little trailer came from our neck of the woods.
Courtesy parking

Old 03-24-2008, 08:11 AM   #14
1 Rivet Member

1966 20' Globetrotter
1972 21' Globetrotter
rochester , New York
when where?

When is the norwich rally? Trying to stick close to ny this year with the price of gas.
1966 ventura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 12:11 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1958 18' "Footer"
1966 17' Caravel
Pierrepont Manor , NY
Norwich Rally

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1966 ventura
When is the norwich rally? Trying to stick close to ny this year with the price of gas.
1966 Ventura,

After robandzoe mentioned it in his reply I found additional info here.

WDCU Rally schedule

Robin
Old 03-24-2008, 10:10 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1958 18' "Footer"
1966 17' Caravel
Pierrepont Manor , NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by robandzoe
got 8 Airstreamers here in the central NY area.

Post some pictures - so we can all see your beauty. Why do you think your little trailer came from our neck of the woods.
We didn't get the trotter until just before the snow flew so we don't have any good photos, but these can give you an idea. I'll take some after the snow melts when we can pull it out and get a better look at it. Don't hold your breath, you can see how much snow is still here...this was taken today!

The bathroom and refrigerator in this trotter were removed when the front floor was replaced a year so ago. I can have the fridge back from "hunting camp" where it ended up. The bathroom I don't care so much about, I'd rather have the space. One of my first projects will be to build a dinette there. I don't know what else is missing...or there, because I haven't been able to look. Are some things stored under the floor, like the water supply tank (a copper line from the faucet goes through the floor)?

The PO were my brother and sister inlaw and they use to live in Delhi a while back. The trailer has been passed down through three generations of their family. I just realized it turns 50 years old this year! We'll have to celebrate with a party when she's all spiffed up!!

I look forward to meeting you and the other CNY Airstreamers sometime this summer!

Robin
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Copy of IMG_0924.JPG
Views:	108
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	56877   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0925.JPG
Views:	110
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	56883  

Old 03-25-2008, 06:58 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1963 24' Tradewind
Pittsford , New York
Family Camping Jamborees in NY

As Rob stated I am organizing 2 family camping Jamborees this year; one on Memorial Day Weekend (Wellsley Island) and the other over the labor day weekend (Wescott beach).

I would like to get as many AIrstreams there as possible but it is open to all and we will have a good mix.

You can send me an email to sigv@vandamme.com and I can give you the full details. Everyone is invited and it is a *great* time.

Also - there is s a TCT rally at Sampson State Park.
sigv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 08:32 PM   #18
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
TCT at Sampson

What are the dates for the TCT, everyone welcome? who do ya contact?
Old 03-26-2008, 08:39 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Plymouth , New York
Tct

<SPAN class=postbody>Register for the CAN/AM Northeast Regional Rally, Sampson State Park - Finger Lakes Region of New York, September 11-14, 2008
Bill Fletcher has answered the call and is establishing a regional rally for TCT in the Northeast.

Pictures of the campground can be viewed here
http://www.tincantourists.com/northeast/index1.html

Enjoy great times at a beautiful site. Plan now to join TCT members from Canada, U.S. Northeast and the Midwest at this great site for a Gathering to remember. Tentative plans are to have a Chili Cook-off on Thursday, Pizza Party and a live band on Friday, Pig Roast/pitch in dinner on Saturday. Bill Fletcher has reserved a number of sites, but don't hesitate and get shut out.

If you have questions contact - Bill Fletcher at
Courtesy parking