Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-19-2011, 03:39 PM   #1
Jim

2016 30' International
Big Lake , Alaska
New in Alaska

Hi all,
My wife and I have been planning our retirement that will hopefully take place 6 to 10 years from now. We know that we want an rv to travel between our winter home in Texas and our summer home in Alaska but didn't know exactly what we wanted until we started looking at Airstreams. Now we are at the point of which AS and when do we want to get it. We are currently thinking sooner rather than later so that we can enjoy it during the summers in Alaska before we begin commuting.

We are focussing in on a ~27' model since it has the bed we want but I am stumped on whether to consider a standard or FB model. What factors go into the decision on where you want the bed (or the dinette)?

I am sure we will have a lot more questions before we make a buy decision but it looks like this forum has plenty of answers!
Jim
akjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 04:19 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1999 25' Safari
Denver , Colorado
Well Jim, I think it should only matter to you. We have a 1999 25' Safari RB and it's the perfect for us. I do know that you will be pleased with a AS., that's for sure. Happy Holidays
Old 12-19-2011, 04:32 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Welcome to the Forums! How exciting that you are looking to acquire a new AS... Good luck in your quest...and I agree...sooner is better than later! the 27' is very nice...in either floorplan.

We don't have a 27' but what we have noticed while camping in federal and state campgrounds is that often, the best views are from the back of the trailer when you are backed into a campsite. That makes the FB appealing... In our 19' the big windows are in the front with the bed in the back, so we often chose a site based on what we will be looking at from the front...and often wish the dinette faced a different direction than the truck. My 2¢. The most important thing for us would be having a walk-around bed, which you will have in either a FR or RB floorplan.

Happy hunting!
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 06:07 PM   #4
Usually lost

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Maricopa , Arizona
Welcome to the forums. We have a 27 fb that we love. The panoramic windows at both ends give a very light and airy feel with good views. Take your time and try both to see which fits you. That should be the deciding factor.
Old 12-19-2011, 08:07 PM   #5

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

First off, welcome to the Forums, We're glad to have you with us.

As to your questions, a 27 footer comes only in an front bedroom model. We have a 2005 25FB that we have spent 978 nights in and have towed over 85,000 miles.

The front bedroom floor plan works very well for us.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 08:30 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
Welcome indeed! Do be aware that in many U.S. State and Federal improved campgrounds (and many in Canada), you can only get about a 25 footer into the sites. I've got a 23, and have been in several sites where a 25 footer won't go ... at least with my diesel pickup truck as a tow vehicle.

Mostly I boondock, and if that's what you're planning, length only matters if you can't get it into the nook or cranny you want to squeeze into ... at least there's no campground manager or designer who's trying to spoil your fun!

And as to front vs. rear bedroom - probably depends mostly upon the view. For many sites that are on bodies of water or overlooks, for example, the view will be at the rear of the campsite, and you likely want to see that when you're up and about ... so when you back into the site, you would want the seating area "living room" at the rear of the trailer ... though I love the sounds of waves coming in the rear side windows when I'm trying to sleep. YMMV. Try to visualize being in one of these coaches in your favorite campsite ... and good luck.
AirsDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 08:35 PM   #7
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Welcome to the Airforums..

I love to hear folks talk about buying a new airstream as it keeps the machine going! When you finally pull the trigger we love pictures..

Thanks for joining this airstream community.

Cheers.. Vinnie

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 08:39 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Indian Harbor Beach , Florida
Welcome! We have a 27' FB with panoramic windows, front and back. When you open both windows you get a great view no matter where you are. But I do agree with the others, most views are out the rear window, so the front bedroom is great for us. We have twin beds (longer for taller people!) so our walking space is from front to back without a bed stopping us in the front.....Visit as many as you can, and try to visualize how you would use it....or maybe find a KOA that rents them and try them out.
Happy Holidays
Andi
kidsgone is offline   Reply With Quote