Old 03-13-2018, 05:09 AM   #1

2014 31' Classic
Augusta , Georgia
New Here - Keep or Replace?

Getting a 1985 Excella - final walkthrough today. Looking for opinions (Iím sure Iíll get quite a few) about removing or keep original rear beds.

My husband is 6í4Ē - letís just say a big guy. I want to take out the beds in the rear and put in a larger bed. Iíve taken the measurements, put to graph paper, twisted it it here and there, etc. It will be close, but it can be done. Added bonus, storage under the bed.

He doesnít want to take out the beds because they are ďoriginalĒ. Seriously, though, I donít thing heís going to be happy sleeping on a sleeper sofa or futon (the one in the unit is shot and will have to be replaced). It is not original either. He was thinking a day bed with trundle to make a king bed. Weíve got 11 year old twins that donít mind sleeping anywhere, no matter how uncomfortable it may be. I say let them sleep up front and make a cozy nest for us in the back.

Ideas? Suggestions?

Old 03-13-2018, 05:47 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Gainesville , Florida
Sometimes it is best to not make changes until you have tried it tbe way it is now. Try camping a few times first.

Old 03-13-2018, 06:12 AM   #3

2014 31' Classic
Augusta , Georgia
Good advice

Good advice - had planned on doing a couple of ďdry runsĒ around home before big trip in July.
Old 03-13-2018, 06:24 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Gainesville , Florida
Cool!
Old 03-13-2018, 06:26 AM   #5

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
New Here - Keep or Replace?

Do what is required to make the RV comfortable for you both. Beds are easily removed for more personalized accommodations. If DH isnít comfortable with the idea of non-original beds, you can always store them for reinstallation at a later date.

"You wouldn't worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do."

Eleanor Roosevelt

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 06:43 AM   #6

2014 31' Classic
Augusta , Georgia
Thank you! Thatís what I thought/said! Regardless, as much as I love the big lug, Iíll be doing any dismantling, If I see him with a power tool, I start running the opposite direction. He means well, if we were just ripping out Iíd let him loose.

Still going to try a couple of dry runs to make sure which way to go and work out any kinks (both ours and the AS).
Old 03-13-2018, 09:01 AM   #7
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
Good advice. Unless it's a special coach from a historic perspective, the value is in your satisfaction and joy from it's use. Nice new is better than old old and usually easier to do. What you like and what makes you feel good is easier to do. A win all around. Travel safe and make lots of smiles. Pat
Old 03-13-2018, 10:21 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
hartselle , Alabama
I'm also 6`4" and cannot fit on the twins. In our trailer the walls would keep us from adding a longer bed midship. Our solution was finding a set of original folding bunks for the twins. In the up position they are just bunks. In the down position they turn the twin beds into opposing couches. We then made the front gaucho area our permanent bed by pulling the cushions and putting in a memory foam mattress on the frame. The only negative is having our bed in the galley. When guests drop by for a visit the double couches are very nice as we never had room for more than 3 people to sit inside comfortably before the installation. And of course having extra sleeping for the grandchildren is a big plus.

I have to agree with your husband on the interior appointments. If I were in the market to buy a vintage trailer I would steer away from units that weren't original. Everyone has their own likes and dislikes but you never know on a modified trailer what you are really in for. If it still has all of its factory appointments I don't have to worry if the person that modified it did it correctly. Click image for larger version

Name:	20180313_105432.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	306281Click image for larger version

Name:	20180313_105420.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	306282