Old 09-27-2012, 08:29 AM   #29
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
Phoenix , Arizona
Just kidding about the instigator part. What a surprise that not a single person bit that bait. Must have been passive Wednesday.

Love your quote and so true. I'm thinking knowledge (or lack of in my case) could be the road to empty wallet. I'm so thankful I have all of you to bounce all the marbles rolling around in there off of for ideas.

Happy Thursday!
Cheryl

Old 09-27-2012, 08:59 AM   #30
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
Phoenix , Arizona
Ken I hope you know I was kidding

Speaking of proficiency or lack of, What is the recommendation for the cyclo polisher and accessories (or perhaps we call them extra items (pads etc?) I want to get what I need but I am only going to be able to spend that money I save on the hitch so many times

As always, looking forward to the advice and comments. (And I'm betting I have this under the wrong thread and the behind the scenes gurus will fix it!)
Cheryl

Old 09-27-2012, 09:35 AM   #31
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Weatherford , Texas
Cyclo

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0094.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	410.9 KB
ID:	169038Hi and welcome.

I polished our '66 Safari a little over a year ago using only a Cyclo with the yellow wool pads and polish from the local auto supply. I'd call it an "original finish" polish job, and I'm perfectly happy with that.

I used the Cyclo without any fabric over the pads, and it did not leave swirl marks that I can see.

The lady at the Cyclo company in Denver was most helpful with suggestions as to which pad to use. Call their customer service number (sorry, I don't have it handy) and pick their brains. They've been selling these machines for aircraft polishing for many years.

Some folks want to go all the way to mirror finish with their Airstreams. Great for them, but it was too much work for me.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Curbside post polishing.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	229.4 KB
ID:	169039  
Old 09-27-2012, 10:31 AM   #32
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Albuquerque , New Mexico
No Offense Taken, Madame

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlscan2 View Post
Ken I hope you know I was kidding
Yes, I knew you were kidding... as was I. I would never, intentionally question the wisdom of spending an enormous amount of $$ on a Hensley hitch

By the way, polishing your Sovereign should be last on you list after all of the following in this order:
1. Stop water leaks (Seams, rivet-pops, plumbing vents, air conditioner, ceiling vents, windows, etc., and DON"T USE SILICONE CAULK.)
2. Determine extent of water damage to floor. The floor is an integral part of your Airstream's construction. The rear of your trailer is suspended from the aluminum shell, so you must determine if there is any frame separation.)
3. Repair and replace flooring as necessary. Fix frame separation if any exists.
4. Inspect and maintain running gear. Repair and replace components as necessary.
5.Inspect and maintain wheel bearings and brakes. Repair and replace components as necessary.
6. Replace tires including spare unless they are less than 5 years old as confirmed by DOT stamp.
7. Check converter. If it is the original Univolt, replace with Iota DLS-55 with smart charger or some comparable converter.
8. Inspect propane system. Ensure tanks are OPD valve equipped.
9. Inspect fresh H2O plumbing. Repair leaks, replace H2O pump if necessary.
10. Confirm fridge cools to 0 to 10 degrees F and freezer to -32 to -20 F. Clean and maintain. Replace as necessary.
11. CHeck furnace. It's probably okay. They seem to last forever.
12. CHeck AC. Replace as necessary.
13. Polish exterior.
You get the point. Polished exterior skin is cosmetic. It is also very, very time consuming. I lost a whole rally season polishing my 31'
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1303.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	487.4 KB
ID:	169040  
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #8654
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 10:45 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxTow View Post
So called '1/2-ton' trucks can be very capable today. My Ford F-150 with Max Tow and HD Payload package and the EcoBoost engine easily bests 3/4-ton trucks from only a few years ago.

Hrmmmmmmm ... not all would necessarily agree ....

WELCOME girlscan2 !
Old 09-27-2012, 11:18 AM   #34
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Fresno/Clovis , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by mefly2 View Post
Hrmmmmmmm ... not all would necessarily agree ....

WELCOME girlscan2 !
It looks like the Hensley folks are still asleep, but the 1/2 ton vs 3/4 ton pickup folks are wide awake. LOL
Kens list is long, but a very good one. You can skip around some, but don't skip any steps. Good luck!
From the Republic of Kalifornia,
Old 09-27-2012, 05:27 PM   #35
3 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Bothell , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alumaholic View Post
Yes, I knew you were kidding... as was I. I would never, intentionally question the wisdom of spending an enormous amount of $$ on a Hensley hitch

By the way, polishing your Sovereign should be last on you list after all of the following in this order:
1. Stop water leaks (Seams, rivet-pops, plumbing vents, air conditioner, ceiling vents, windows, etc., and DON"T USE SILICONE CAULK.)
2. Determine extent of water damage to floor. The floor is an integral part of your Airstream's construction. The rear of your trailer is suspended from the aluminum shell, so you must determine if there is any frame separation.)
3. Repair and replace flooring as necessary. Fix frame separation if any exists.
4. Inspect and maintain running gear. Repair and replace components as necessary.
5.Inspect and maintain wheel bearings and brakes. Repair and replace components as necessary.
6. Replace tires including spare unless they are less than 5 years old as confirmed by DOT stamp.
7. Check converter. If it is the original Univolt, replace with Iota DLS-55 with smart charger or some comparable converter.
8. Inspect propane system. Ensure tanks are OPD valve equipped.
9. Inspect fresh H2O plumbing. Repair leaks, replace H2O pump if necessary.
10. Confirm fridge cools to 0 to 10 degrees F and freezer to -32 to -20 F. Clean and maintain. Replace as necessary.
11. CHeck furnace. It's probably okay. They seem to last forever.
12. CHeck AC. Replace as necessary.
13. Polish exterior.
You get the point. Polished exterior skin is cosmetic. It is also very, very time consuming. I lost a whole rally season polishing my 31'
Beautiful 31'! How did you go about polishing your rims? I have the same ones, and I am not tackling the whole exterior polish anytime soon, but would love to clean up the wheels.

Thanks,
Leo

http://ismelltexas.wordpress.com
texasbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 05:38 PM   #36
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Thanks Leo, but I didn't polish the rims. As you can see from these photos. I just cleaned them.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1301.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	437.6 KB
ID:	169075   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1283.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	457.0 KB
ID:	169076  

Four Corners Unit WBCCI #8654
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 10:43 PM   #37
3 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Bothell , Washington
They look great. Mine are very oxidized in parts... Not sure how to start the polishing/cleaning process.

Old 09-28-2012, 12:02 AM   #38
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Girlscan2,
Welcome to the forums. That's a nice looking trailer.

The rest of you,
I don't feel like arguing about hitches or trucks, but I do think polished trailers are for sissies.

Ken
Old 09-28-2012, 09:16 AM   #39
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
Phoenix , Arizona
Gotta say, all these rigs are beautiful; regardless of how they are polished! Thanks for the advice and direction, it is definitely appreciated. Mimi you are right and can't really tell the difference in the pics. Mefly, I'm a nurse too! Ken, I'm also a sissy

I had a really nice "list" going of how to and what to use for this and that. Unfortunately, someone kicked in my door yesterday and stole most of my electronics (3 computers and an Ipad) which contained a good part of my life, to say nothing of the shambles they left my house in. Fortunately, they locked my dogs in the bathroom and didn't hurt them (not quite sure how they accomplished that since most peeps are fearful of their mean barks.) What I mess I have to deal with today. Lesson to self ~ lock all security doors, turn on alarm!
Old 09-28-2012, 12:51 PM   #40
3 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Bothell , Washington
Very sorry to hear that girlscan! I hope the insurance process is speedy...

Old 09-28-2012, 07:02 PM   #41
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Cheryl: wow, what a drag that you got ripped off! Did you have the data on the computers backed up somewhere? Hope so!
Old 09-28-2012, 10:11 PM   #42
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
Bum deal on the break-in! That's tough to deal with.

If you're going to tow it, your first priority has to be safety. You need a good hitch - and I'll go with the suggestion above and recommend a Reese Dual Cam. Check RV salvage in SW Phoenix - I got a smoking deal on mine there used.

Second, you need a good brake controller. I've got an older Tekonsha that I love.

Third, you need chains and a break-away switch.

Fourth, you need good tires and brakes, and to have your wheel bearings packed.

After you've got all this lined up, the water leaks are next.

You got a great unit there with the center bath - enjoy!!!