Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-09-2019, 08:51 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Sumner , Washington
Smile New here

Hello! My name is Nicole and my husband is Bobby. We are hoping to buy an airstream as our first travel trailer. We have 2 small children and want to enjoy time with them outdoors, and away from the Hussle and bussel of life. We started doing research and found many trailers would fit us comfortably but I wondered if those comfortably sized trailers are too big to fit in camp spots. We usually camp off the grid and away from people, usually near a river. Would you recommend I stay 26feet and shorter, for trailer length?
Thank you,
Nicole
Camping_wego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 09:49 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camping_wego View Post
Hello! My name is Nicole and my husband is Bobby. We are hoping to buy an airstream as our first travel trailer. We have 2 small children and want to enjoy time with them outdoors, and away from the Hussle and bussel of life. We started doing research and found many trailers would fit us comfortably but I wondered if those comfortably sized trailers are too big to fit in camp spots. We usually camp off the grid and away from people, usually near a river. Would you recommend I stay 26feet and shorter, for trailer length?
Thank you,
Nicole
Welcome to the forum!

As a class b owner and not a trailer owner, I'll defer any advice except to say you are smart to research before making your purchase.

Safe travels.

rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 09:55 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
Hi there. You will receive many different answers to your excellent question. We too mostly tent camped for decades then purchased and enjoyed a pop-up tent trailer for a year and now our Airstream for five years (soon to be purchasing a small motor home). The short answer is the smaller the trailer the more sites you generally fit into when dry camping (if that’s what you mean by “off the grid”). Our 25’ Airstream is big in some of the small campgrounds. But as those two children grow a 25’ trailer might feel just right. Folks have trailers of all sizes when traveling with kids so it comes down to what works for you and your family. If there is a way for you to rent a trailer, even if they set it up for you at the site, that would be beneficial before purchasing one. I would definitely recommend buying used because if you like the lifestyle it most certainly will not be your last RV. I haven’t yet heard of anyone RVing for twenty years in their first RV!
Meeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 04:55 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 27' Classic FB
Ridgefield , Washington
We were at a place a few years ago in Coos Bay that has an older Airstream that they rent out as a room. It might be a good way to get a feel for size. The name is Oceanside RV resort. Those small kids will be teens soon and the idea of the 25 is a good one. If we were buying now we would probably consider the 26RB. We have a 27 and we have some limitations but not many.
Old 05-10-2019, 05:38 PM   #5

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us. We have been Airstreaming all over the country for many years. We have a 25FB, and have always been able to camp most anywhere we wanted.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 06:32 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
Welcome!

Welcome to the forums! You’re in the right place to get lots of advice. I agree with the other posters that a 25’ is a “sweet spot” for a family like yours while still fitting into most campgrounds with ease and National Parks.

If you can, find an Airstream dealer with several different 25’ floor plans. Also, search YouTube for Colonial Airstream videos. Patrick does a great job of demonstrating different models. Don’t worry if some are a few years old, the floor plans haven’t changed much.

The other often overlooked detail is a tow vehicle capable of the higher tongue weight you’ll find on an Airstream. There’s printed tongue weight in brochures - but actual can be 100-200 lbs. heavier.

Payload rating is the Achilles Heel for many tow vehicles. Look at the tire door sticker and look for “Payload should not exceed <insert number>. A 25’ Airstream has a higher tongue weight than a 27’. Go figure!

Get a capable tow vehicle with enough payload (contents inside vehicle + tongue weight) and tow capacity (weight of loaded trailer). A great resource for towing information is Can Am RV in Canada. Andy has set up lots of vehicles to tow Airstreams. He’s a frequent contributor on the forums.

Good luck on your quest and Happy Camping!
WBCCI# 10258
RETIRED!
jeffmc306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 06:54 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Welcome to the Forum and Airstream! So much advice here, and so little time! There are folks here with Basecamps, thru 33' Classic's who can share advice...first, recommend you spend time at a dealer getting educated on the difference in sizes...imagine how you would be using it...is a smaller fine; how much money do you want to spend? what size is comfortable for your life style; inside watching the TV with kids, or outside enjoying life....but think sleeping also and bad weather consideration.

Then the Tow Vehicle questions; many over 23' AS's require a larger Tow Vehicle...so that's a big consideration also for you; what is your tow vehicle...an SUV, a pickup, a Van or what?? What can it tow, how much "payload" with 4 passengers and gear can it safely carry....lots to consider.

I would suggest doing the research at your dealer to start on which one you like...get an idea of size so you can decide on your Tow Vehicle needs. Then I would also suggest starting with a "used" model first of that size; saves money, confirms the size, and typically, a used model will be pretty well have everything fixed and working from previous owner or owners...

We are on our 4th AS; and 8th overall trailer, Motorhome, pop-up combination over the years...not to mention buying/selling various tow vehicles! First two Airstreams were used 25' models, and we used all of our RV's a few years before moving on to newer/ different models. You may find you like/don't like size or like towing or even the hassles of owning a travel trailer in general...(likely that will not happen, but it does happen...and some folks take the plunge, buy a new one, only to find out it isn't really used as much as the anticipated...selling at a loss. Just saying, consider the reality.

There are many, many good threads here on the Forum to learn about AS's and the "life" we all enjoy...again, welcome and hope you will continue to share and learn.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 11:39 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Sumner , Washington
Smile New here. Cont..

Thank you for replying and taking that time to help us out!
We’re going to an airstream dealership Mon or Tues to get a feel for the size. We are pulling with a Ram truck, with a payload of 1640 and tow capacity 11,300. We are also bringing along our fur babies, 2 standard Poodles and a toy poodle. Everything adds up quickly. We’re looking at older model airstreams to be able to afford it. We don’t want to renovate but maybe a facelift or fresh paint later on. Get it out camping ASAP. If there’s a year of leak issues or major problems , please let me know.
My husband sent me something about an Avion. Are they simple to airstreams? I mean they look similar but do they lack the quality? Are they still part of club airstream?
Thank again,
Nicole
Old 05-11-2019, 08:29 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Thank you for replying and taking that time to help us out!
We’re going to an airstream dealership Mon or Tues to get a feel for the size. We are pulling with a Ram truck, with a payload of 1640 and tow capacity 11,300. We are also bringing along our fur babies, 2 standard Poodles and a toy poodle. Everything adds up quickly. We’re looking at older model airstreams to be able to afford it. We don’t want to renovate but maybe a facelift or fresh paint later on. Get it out camping ASAP. If there’s a year of leak issues or major problems , please let me know.
My husband sent me something about an Avion. Are they simple to airstreams? I mean they look similar but do they lack the quality? Are they still part of club airstream?
Thank again,
Nicole
Avion is not an Airstream, and I am not knowledgeable about that brand, however there are some folks on here who can give your more information...you threw me when you asked about "paint! https://camping.lovetoknow.com/Avion_Travel_Trailers

Spending time looking at size is a good idea for sure...we spent many hours/days looking even at RV shows...you think of how you would use it; storage, sleeping, etc..and outside storage. A Twin model for example, typically has 8 more " total sleeping area then a 60" queen model; it also offers more room to dress, make up the beds and has more storage compartments on the outside...

On AS question about leaks, I know there are some history on different models which had some issues in that area. I remember our first 2006 25' Safari; the service manager I talked with told me some of the years I believe, between 2004 and 2007 (?), had a lower band around the entire trailer, which did not seal properly, and in some climates could fill with water, as I recall, causing sub-floor rot issues. I am sure there are threads here outlining other issues if you spend some time looking and asking questions.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
Old 05-12-2019, 06:53 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Sumner , Washington
Cont..

Hello everyone! My husband and I will be going to look at airstreams for sale this week. What should we be looking for, as far as damage and potential problems in the airstream? I’ve read that some airstreams have axle issues with the rear bath. Is there anyway to know? And how would we check for leaks? Thanks in advance!
Old 05-12-2019, 07:44 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Hello everyone! My husband and I will be going to look at airstreams for sale this week. What should we be looking for, as far as damage and potential problems in the airstream? I’ve read that some airstreams have axle issues with the rear bath. Is there anyway to know? And how would we check for leaks? Thanks in advance!
Many threads on this topic...you have to do your research on what size you want; do you want an AS ready to go, or a fixer upper? What do you plan to tow it with and can your tow vehicle provide enough payload capacity with your AS attached?

Never heard any issues with axles except perhaps on very old models?