Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-22-2014, 07:05 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Maitland , Florida
New here!

Hi everyone!

I’ve been lurking here on and off for a few years, while my husband and I planned for retirement and full-timing. Now that we’re only a year away, I thought it was time to jump in and join the fun! I went ahead and appropriated this user name even though we don’t actually own an Airstream yet.

We’ve never owned an RV but we’re confident we’ll be among the many who have jumped into full-timing without previous experience and loved it.

We’ve gone to the Tampa RV show for the last three years and have considered the fifth wheel (nope, never), the Class A (maybe, comfy), and the Airstream (yes, beautiful). Actually, the idea started with an Airstream, but my sister and BIL who have a fifth wheel insisted we would want slides and more room, and so we dutifully considered alternatives. But we kept coming back to the AS because nothing else appealed to us. The Airstream is our style, and the people are our people.

We figure we’ll go with the 30-footer, 2012 or later, recliners, maybe twins. I love the International Serenity. But then the 2015 Classic came along and now I’m seriously thinking about spending a bunch more $$$ to get that couch, those window coverings and the ducted AC. I hope I talk myself out of it.

Anyway, we’ve already done some hard stuff — sold our big house, had a big estate sale and sold most of our stuff, and even sold our second car. We’re renting a little 2/1 until we hit the road.

I think the next year will go something like this: I’ll retire in September, in late summer/early fall we’ll buy our AS and TV (want to wait until after the worst of the summer is over here in Florida), husband retires in December, and we’ll hit the road in February or March 2016.

Anyway, I just read about the Canopener rally, so I’m off to see if we can sign up!

Joanne
FreshAirStmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 07:14 PM   #2
Sbb
begorragirl

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denville , New Jersey
Welcome, wow you r in a great position to move forward, wanna come do my house? Go with what you love best, the rest will follow.
2001 Teardrop, Mountain Hardware Tent
For some perfection takes a little longer...
Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 07:34 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
The 30 Serenity with recliners is very very nice, as is the new Classic.

Serious advice. Buy some little throwaway camper right now, and weekend in it 2 or 3 times a month, to find out if you're really fulltimers or if it's a dream that doesn't survive in the real world. If you really want a new camper, get a Casita, and sell it in a year when you're ready for the Airstream. They're fiberglass eggs and with decent care lose very little value every year... maybe only $500. And they are SMALL so you can tow it without a 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton truck. Most people want a 3/4 ton for a 30 foot Airstream.

There's nothing worse than finding out you really aren't suited for full timing after a few months, then find out you've lost $15K to $20K in depreciation on a new Airstream, too.

I usually advise new people to buy gently used, but you're going to have a long hunt for either of those on the used market especially since the Classic has had a complete redo. They've changed the Serenity's floor (I like the new one!) and done a few other tweaks this year, which are also attractive.

Use this last year to practice camping, gain experience and confidence as well as just trying it out, then if you still love the idea, you have a trade in RV, and a much better idea of what you really want to get in an Airstream.

Oh, and hang around the forum. The modifications people do even on newer Airstreams are very inspiring. Some are super simple, others are really complex.

Welcome aboard, Paula
Old 12-22-2014, 08:44 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Maitland , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
Serious advice. Buy some little throwaway camper right now, and weekend in it 2 or 3 times a month, to find out if you're really fulltimers or if it's a dream that doesn't survive in the real world. If you really want a new camper, get a Casita, and sell it in a year when you're ready for the Airstream.
Hi Paula!

This advice would have been best followed BEFORE we sold our house and almost everything we owned. It was at that point that we could never easily go back to the life we once had. We're also about to give up our well-paying jobs -- again, once that's done, there's no going back. We have too much pent-up desire for travel and we have no desire to be retired and live in one place yet.

I think the greater risk would be getting an Airstream and then deciding in a few years that we want the comforts that a Class A offers.

Quote:
There's nothing worse than finding out you really aren't suited for full timing after a few months, then find out you've lost $15K to $20K in depreciation on a new Airstream, too.
So above, substitute "aren't suited for full-timing" for "aren't suited for living in an Airstream", and yes what you say is very true. Which is why I'm hoping to talk myself out of a 2015. Next year, there might be some used 2015s for sale, but even then I could see the Classics carrying more of a premium than usual. It would definitely be better if we purchased a 2-3 year-old Serenity. Or, maybe we get a 4-5 year old FC and then wait to trade up to a ducted air Classic in two or three years.

However, part of our financial plan is to qualify for the ACA subsidy, which means keeping our income low until we qualify for Medicare. Keeping our income low means no big purchases if we can avoid it, and buying a new rig would blow that plan. So yeah, I'm torn.
Old 12-23-2014, 02:37 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshAirStmr View Post
Hi Paula!

This advice would have been best followed BEFORE we sold our house and almost everything we owned. It was at that point that we could never easily go back to the life we once had. We're also about to give up our well-paying jobs -- again, once that's done, there's no going back. We have too much pent-up desire for travel and we have no desire to be retired and live in one place yet.

I think the greater risk would be getting an Airstream and then deciding in a few years that we want the comforts that a Class A offers.

So above, substitute "aren't suited for full-timing" for "aren't suited for living in an Airstream", and yes what you say is very true. Which is why I'm hoping to talk myself out of a 2015. Next year, there might be some used 2015s for sale, but even then I could see the Classics carrying more of a premium than usual. It would definitely be better if we purchased a 2-3 year-old Serenity. Or, maybe we get a 4-5 year old FC and then wait to trade up to a ducted air Classic in two or three years.

However, part of our financial plan is to qualify for the ACA subsidy, which means keeping our income low until we qualify for Medicare. Keeping our income low means no big purchases if we can avoid it, and buying a new rig would blow that plan. So yeah, I'm torn.
Ouch. Sorry my timing was off. Well you've obviously done a lot of thinking it over. I jumped from "this old house" to a 22 foot CCD in 2004/2005. A year later I bought the first year of the 25 FB because the 22 CCD was a bit too small. I think you're on the right track getting a bigger trailer to start off with. I'm single, I wouldn't want to have a significant other sharing a 25 footer. 30 GOOD!

Either the Serenity or the Classic have their good points. If you can possibly compare them side to side, do so. The new Classic is the only Classic that has ever appealed to me, and I've got to admit that while the bare aluminum interior is stylish and easy to maintain (damp microfiber cloths about once ever month or two), the covered walls are warmer in cold weather. Man let your bare butt hit an aluminum wall at 35 degrees one time.... It's a moment you NOT cherish.

Really think about the options you might want too. I never thought solar was all that big a deal, but happened to get it with the new to me EB. Now I wonder how I did without it. The inverter has only been useful once when the cell phone was dying and we had no hookups... but I could have charged it in the truck off of the battery.

Those recliners are MUCH more comfortable than any standard seating - but the Classic cushions are thicker and cushier than the squared off ones in the Serenity - Of course I've found a nice down substitute topper/comforter works great anywhere any time, and it can go in a big machine at the laundromat too.
Old 12-23-2014, 04:52 PM   #6
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshAirStmr View Post
Anyway, we’ve already done some hard stuff — sold our big house, had a big estate sale and sold most of our stuff, and even sold our second car. We’re renting a little 2/1 until we hit the road.
Best move you could have made. Transitioning from a 2400 square foot house to a 240 square foot trailer is where a lot of would-be full-timers (or would-be RVers in general, for that matter) hit a wall. Downsizing now helps to ensure that things like lack of privacy and lack of storage space don't become deal-killers when you do put the wheels under your home.

If you can do without a home phone (cell phones only) and cable television now, that will help, too, because then you won't miss them later— besides saving you some monthly bills.
Old 12-23-2014, 05:56 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Maitland , Florida
Quote:
Ouch. Sorry my timing was off.
I hope you didn't think I was upset. Really, I was thrilled you responded to me. But it's true, now we have very little to lose except for some depreciation.

Quote:
I jumped from "this old house" to a 22 foot CCD in 2004/2005.
That to me is the big jump. I was emotionally ready to sell our house and all the things in it that I'd lovingly curated over the years, but I was afraid I'd be like "I want my house back!" in a few months. Happily, that hasn't happened.

Quote:
A year later I bought the first year of the 25 FB because the 22 CCD was a bit too small. I think you're on the right track getting a bigger trailer to start off with. I'm single, I wouldn't want to have a significant other sharing a 25 footer. 30 GOOD!
This is something I've learned from this forum -- go bigger if you can. We've been able to see only a few models in person, but enough to know we need the variety of space that both a dinette and a seating area offers.

We haven't seen anything but Flying Clouds, no Serenitys in person. No recliners in person. We're going to the 2015 Canopener Rally, so we should get to see a lot there. I've also been thinking we should make a trip to Colonial AS just so we could see a lot of variety there and try out those recliners! And like you, the 2015 Classic is the only Classic I've liked. It's still a tiny bit more traditional than I prefer, but it just looks so darn comfortable and elegant. I could see full-timing in that, although I'd prefer the wardrobes in the bedroom.

Thank you for your advice!

Joanne
Old 12-23-2014, 06:14 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Maitland , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Best move you could have made. Transitioning from a 2400 square foot house to a 240 square foot trailer is where a lot of would-be full-timers (or would-be RVers in general, for that matter) hit a wall. Downsizing now helps to ensure that things like lack of privacy and lack of storage space don't become deal-killers when you do put the wheels under your home.

If you can do without a home phone (cell phones only) and cable television now, that will help, too, because then you won't miss them later— besides saving you some monthly bills.
Exactly! We're in 900 square feet now, still much bigger than an RV, but we have a single tiny bathroom (and we're doing great!), we essentially live in the little living room together all the time (no problems there), the fridge doesn't have an ice machine (big adjustment for me), we have only cell phones (giving up the landline was easy), and no cable TV (we're using an OTA antenna).

Even our showers are different now. Between the two of us, in our house we had a big, beautiful 80-gallon hot water heater. Seriously, my husband routinely took 30-minute hot showers. I worried that the shower situation would be the real deal breaker for him. But our rental has a 40-gallon and for some reason the hot water goes within the few first minutes of a shower, so we now shower quickly and purposefully. No more dilly dallying.

Since we want to try boondocking and dry camping for the places you can go, I know we'll have to learn to love navy showers, but at least now I know it's do-able.
Old 12-23-2014, 06:14 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Huntsville , Alabama
I'm excited for you. Enjoy your retirement and the Airstream. Airstream is a great travel trailer and the people you meet are wonderful.

Ron

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 12-23-2014, 07:05 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Based on 6 - 7 months a year part-time in our FC 25' Rear Bed (which is near perfect) traveling extensively, boon docking, and enjoying RV resorts I would recommend a FC or Int'l 30' Rear Bed with recliners for best comfort and pano windows front and rear for greatest enjoyment of what you left home for. Get the optional awning package. Upgrade to inverter and some solar. The new Classic is a matter of taste, I like it not all do, a lot of modern motor home decor tastefully done by Airstream. The FC is the bargain, looks good, durable cabinetry, easy to decorate to suit your style.

There's never enough storage, the solution is take only what you really need, and manage that regularly. Everything possible should be at least dual purpose, especially kitchen and clothing, then you won't need an Airstream that is a storage unit on wheels.

Remember that your tow vehicle is also your daily driver, which means there may be compromises for both functions, but can still perform each very well. Hitch it to your trailer with a Hensley or ProPride hitch for comfort, safety, and ease of use and towing in all conditions.

Yep, your motor home and fifth wheel friends will tell you what you should have bought with all that money. Ever notice how often they keep trading because they are never satisfied with what they have, or it's constantly in the shop for something or another, or they never realized how much it actually costs to keep one on the road.

There's a sense of permanence and satisfaction with our Airstreams that few others enjoy. You're welcome to come suffer with us.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 07:38 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Maitland , Florida
All good advice, Doug, thank you. I'm so happy to be posting to the forum finally, after getting over my initial shyness, and hearing from some of you.

I try not to kid myself that storage will be severely limited. It's mostly clothes I think I'll have a problem with. Everything else I like to think I have under control.

This first downsizing exercise to a rental has been very eye-opening. We brought only a fraction of our stuff here after selling our house, but I'm hyperaware of how little of it we access. So we'll bring only a fraction of what we have left into the AS and try to avoid stuff creep as we go along.
Old 12-23-2014, 07:58 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Classic
2007 25' International CCD
1993 32' Excella
Largo , Florida
You might want to check out the Alumaflamingo rally at the Sarasota Fairgrounds in February.

>>ron<<
Old 12-23-2014, 08:22 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Maitland , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by carver 1 View Post
You might want to check out the Alumaflamingo rally at the Sarasota Fairgrounds in February.
Ron, is there a thread for that? I can't find anything on the forum about it.
Old 12-24-2014, 11:39 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Welcome FreshAir... It sounds like you two have a well thought out plan to try full timing and try different areas of this great country during different seasons.

I started a thread some time back on the monthly budget of full timing. There is a big range of course, but the point I was making it full timing is not necessarily the cheapest way to live. Traveling is great fun, but not free. I think the thread participants settled around $3000 a month living expenses while full timing without house expenses. And we add health insurance and vehicle insurances on top of that. Does that number make sense in your plans?

Airstream trailers tow very well compared to boxy trailers. Airstreams have small interior spaces due to their shape. And as you noted earlier, the Airstream community is a lot of fun.

I agree with Paula, you ought to rent an Airstream or some other brand and plan a week's travel in it for a learning experience. Then maybe try it again and again. There is a lot to learn about living in an RV. It may not be as romantic as some envision. For example, RV parks are densely populated, so neighbors are just a few feet away with outdoor TVs, parties, and barking beagles. The view is seldom good. They are designed so vacationers can "home base" while exploring the area. Making a wrong turn in an unfamiliar city can be real exciting with a trailer behind you. There are more chores in an RV compared to a home, for example frequent emptying of the waste water tanks, more frequent trips to the grocery store as storage space is tight, awnings out, awnings in, Laundromats and the waiting for the dryer to finish, etc, etc. Tow vehicle maintenance in unfamiliar shops and then there are our medical needs in unfamiliar clinics.

You will quickly find Air Forums is chock full of free advice! I find it's good to bounce ideas off of others who have gone before you. But as most Forum participants have advised me; it's your trailer and your rules!

Again, welcome to the Airstream community where everyone is a bit above average!

David
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 11:47 AM   #15
Firedog1

2018 30' Classic
Woodbridge Connecticut & , Venice Florida
Hi Joanne
See you are renting a cabin at Topsail for Canopener. Please come an see us and look over the new Classic, we are in site 141
Russ & Lisa
Sold but not forgotten: 2005 Classic 25 Limited
2015 Classic 30 RB
Firedog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 03:05 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Pfafftown , North Carolina
Welcome to the Airstream community. For full timing a 30' should be ideal. We spend about 100 nights per year in our Airstream and often wish we had the extra space as well as the recliners.

Canopener will be the perfect opportunity for you to meet some wonderful people and talk to experienced owners about the pluses and minuses of their rigs as well as some great places to visit.

Here is a link to the Alumaflamingo website:

Alumaflamingo Website

If you haven't seen the video of last year's Canopener, here is a link:

Canopener 2014 Video
WBCCI 3823 - Unit 12 | AIR 48265
Florida 55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 04:03 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

bonita springs , florida
Hey

Welcome to the forum
sophie18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 05:16 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Maitland , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbj216 View Post
I started a thread some time back on the monthly budget of full timing. There is a big range of course, but the point I was making it full timing is not necessarily the cheapest way to live. Traveling is great fun, but not free. I think the thread participants settled around $3000 a month living expenses while full timing without house expenses. And we add health insurance and vehicle insurances on top of that. Does that number make sense in your plans?
David, I found your great budget thread. Yes, I think $3k plus insurances is a good figure. We're planning on a bit more than that, but I'm hoping we find over time that we've overestimated. I think our first year or two will be more expensive because for awhile it might be hard to remember we're not on vacation. But once we settle down, stay longer in places and hopefully enjoy some boondocking, our expenses should settle down.
Old 01-02-2015, 05:18 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Maitland , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firedog1 View Post
Hi Joanne
See you are renting a cabin at Topsail for Canopener. Please come an see us and look over the new Classic, we are in site 141
Russ & Lisa
We will definitely do this! Thank you both!