Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-22-2007, 08:44 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Chickasha , Oklahoma
New guy thinking of buying need help 1971 overlander

Hello,
I am very serious about buying this camper it is a 1971 Overlander I would be the 3rd owner.
There are some issues.
1. Original oven is missing.
2. has some minor dents towards the back.
3. some of the interior sliding doors are broke.
4. Everything else I was told works.
5. Has new canopy's big one on the side and little one for the rear window.
6. All the lights work.
7. the electric lift for hooking trailer up works.
8. Includes the total towing package I.E. anti-sway and brake assembly.
9. Center fold down bed has been replaced with a mattress Dont really care for it might try and fix it back to a fold down.
10. already has new propane tanks with cover.
11. Gauges work for tanks
12 A/C still works with the thermostat.
Other than that it is a very nice well taken care of trailer. The asking price is $6,500 belive it or not went and looked at an exact same 1971 about 30 miles from this one it has the oven but no canopy's and no upgraded propane tanks or towing apparatus. The body was in a little better shape not much tho. There price was $8,000.

So could really use the help as I will probably buy the $6,500 one if you think it is a good buy?
Thanks alot looking fwd to reply's
Matt & Pattie
nmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 08:59 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1968 20' Globetrotter
1959 26' Overlander
1955 26' Cruiser Overlander
Bastrop , Texas
Oven is not a major issue - easy to replace. IF you are not committed to restoring it to original, but to remodeling it so you like it, it should not be too bad. Lots of people don't even use their ovens.

Everyone will tell you to check and make sure the floor is sound. Consciously step around and feel for soft spots and look for any evidence (mold, dark spots) on all surfaces for leaks. Where there have been leaks, there will be soft spots on the floor.

There may be forum members in your area who could help you take a look at it.

Good lluck.
WBCCI #8689
68 Globetrotter
emo59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 09:08 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Here's another 71 - we purchased in July 06 for 5,700. So far I have about 1,800 in tires, wheels, shocks and miscellaneous parts. Not all of which have been installed yet. It still needs a new hot water tank and the air worked on. Don't do what we did and take anyones word for anything major - i.e. the hot water tank. Check that the fridge works on both gas and electric. Look under the kitchen sink as mentioned above for any leaks - also in the hot water tank cabinet. Don't forget to check the floor behind the toilet and look around in the the rear storage trunk well - see the black tank and pan under it - is the pan in decent shape - is the support bar under the front edge of the pan in decent shape. Have someone step up on the rear bumper to make sure the rear frame is solid - you'll get a little movement but it shouldn't be major. Are the window/door edge/trunk seals dried out - not a big deal but know they'll need replaced if they are. Other than that it should be a cake walk....

Good luck on your hunt.

http://www.airforums.com/photos/brow...0&userid=14492
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 09:19 PM   #4
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Most of that stuff is minor. Frame and floor are major concerns. Axles how is she sitting?
inspect carefully.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 09:20 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Chickasha , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by emo59
Oven is not a major issue - easy to replace. IF you are not committed to restoring it to original, but to remodeling it so you like it, it should not be too bad. Lots of people don't even use their ovens.

Everyone will tell you to check and make sure the floor is sound. Consciously step around and feel for soft spots and look for any evidence (mold, dark spots) on all surfaces for leaks. Where there have been leaks, there will be soft spots on the floor.

There may be forum members in your area who could help you take a look at it.

Good lluck.
I checked the floor and under the camper the floors were solid and no sign of corrosion. What is up with the axels is there something I should be aware of? And is there any signs I should look for on the body I.E. since it is a rear bath model?
Thanks Matt
Old 04-22-2007, 09:30 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Quote:
Most of that stuff is monor

I guess it's minor until your the one doing the work.... we now return you to the original question of the thread...
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 09:41 PM   #7
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
Airstream Funeral Coach
Citrus Heights , California
I just picked up a 73 last month, it needs a little work to have all systems working, been sitting for a while. You need to ask yourself how much time , effort and money you are willing to throw into this thing. Myself I'ld rather pay a little more upfront and only have to deal with cleanup, minor repairs and using the dog gone thing! Forget the compleat frame off thing I have other things to do, but thats me. Either way enjoy your journey, this forum is loades with good info. DG

www.popasmoke.com

Proud Appellation American

Vine View Heights is now closed.

YETI ( 65 Quart )

IGLOO (Ice Cube, 50 Quart )
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 05:35 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
Hey Matt, I'm here in Chandler, OK. Welcome to the Forum. The only problem with a 71 is that I don't believe they have the gray water holding tank. That came in 74. If you have the money and the time to renovate, and you really want this trailer....go for it. These trailers seem to be worth what the buyer is willing to pay. I probably paid too much for mine, but I loved it and have been having a great time with it for 2 years now. Pictures may help us to tell you about the axels. You need to see how high on the tires the trailer is riding. Welcome, it's fun here. By the way, those are called awnings not canopies, and I wish I had one.
juel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 08:49 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Chickasha , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by juel
Hey Matt, I'm here in Chandler, OK. Welcome to the Forum. The only problem with a 71 is that I don't believe they have the gray water holding tank. That came in 74. If you have the money and the time to renovate, and you really want this trailer....go for it. These trailers seem to be worth what the buyer is willing to pay. I probably paid too much for mine, but I loved it and have been having a great time with it for 2 years now. Pictures may help us to tell you about the axels. You need to see how high on the tires the trailer is riding. Welcome, it's fun here. By the way, those are called awnings not canopies, and I wish I had one.
Hello,
Juel now that I have a little more info I kinda know what to look at. Belive me before I exchange any money for the trailer I am going to go over it with a fine tooth comb. I will triple check all the flooring and the axels. The only problem I might have is the gentleman that own's it is about 75-77 years old and I dont really want to upset him too much as he just had some heart surgery recently. Wish me luck on my quest for airstream bliss.
Matt
Old 04-23-2007, 01:31 PM   #10

1971 27' Overlander
Marcus , Washington
Red face Have had '71 Overlander for six years

Hi Matt,
We bought a '71 for $3300 in Spokane,WA in 2001 and drug it home, cleaned it up and took off to Glacier Park with it. Since the dealer said everything worked, and we were sooooo green, we filled the water, packed it up and left about 8 pm ready for a great vacation. Biiiiig mistake!
When I turned the water on in the sink, it splashed out on the floor! Oh oh, no plumbing from sink to gray tank. Make do with a big kettle and next morning DH went to hardware store in town and bought plumbing fixtures. Got it all together and ...oh oh no gray tank. Huh? Oh well, hook it to black tank and make do. Oh oh, black tank very small and filled very fast! Go to town and find an emergency # for RV dealer who comes down on Sunday to sell us the portable blue tank: tank cost plus sunday surcharge. Time to get hamburgers out for dinner...Oh oh - meat is warm, and so is milk, and lettuce and.......frig isn't working. Monday we call around and find out it will cost about $800 to fix the ammonia leak and refurbish frig. Go to town and buy a big cooler. In the end we had a vacation with a big silver tent - but it was dry and had good beds!
It's six years later and we have refurbished the frig including the electronic control panel, replaced the hot water heater, replaced the propane tanks, replaced all the window supports & screens, replaced the water pump, replaced all the curtains and interior door dividers (with fabric curtains), removed the old clear coat (but not polished yet), replaced the brakes and tires, replaced the central vent with a "skylight" ,replaced the floor with laminate, covered some of the dark walls with car carpeting (cuz it molds to the curves),replaced several batteries until we understood that the univolt charging system has no voltage regulator when hooked to shore power (now we have a switch to isolate batteries when plugged in).etc. etc.
My advice is to be sure you really, really want a vintage Airstream (like my DH), pay what you can afford but be sure what you can afford includes money for immediate and necessary repairs - including those that happen on the road. We've had to do it all over time.
In 2006 we made a 11,500 mile trip in 8 weeks going from Washington to Minnesota, to the Ohio River and Louisville to WV to Pennsylvania, down the eastern seaboard to Key West to New Orleans, then Phoenix to Reno to Spokane and home near the Canadian border. Everything went very well and we met a lot of great Airstreamers on the way who had similar stories and unique fixes for them. "Lola" (you know... whatever Lola wants) pulled like a dream and even surprised us! The air conditioner had quit working 2 years ago and when we got to the Everglades in Florida and it was SO hot, I laughed and told DH to turn on the air. He obliged and guess what - it worked! We don't ask why, we just pat Lola on the side and say "Good girl"
Still having fun, and just got back yesterday from first camp trip of 2007. This year's to do list includes: finding out why there is no pressure at the shower head, repairing a small leak at the hot water tank, and replacing the front window that took a rock in Texas (instant campground fix with plexiglass screwed to outside of frame).
Good luck with your decision - and make sure you have sense of humor!
Bev - in Northwest WA
streamerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 08:27 AM   #11
sunny 75

1975 27' Overlander
selah , Washington
Lmao

Loved your story and Lola. Laughed until I cried. Read it to my DH. Can identify with our Sunny. Back to polishing. Thanks for the break!
sunny75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 09:44 AM   #12
JT

1973 27' Overlander
El Paso , Texas
Streamers, we did that also except started replacing before our maiden trip. My wife was not a camper and our 73 Overlander was our 30th wedding anniversary present to each other, so I knew the first trip would be the make or break trip. In short I replaced a lot more than I expected. Axels, refrigerator and AC were the big items, but we love our AS and our children think their mother will insist on being buried in it because she loves it so much. One must expect to replace things because old things break and wear out, and to do much of the work themselves, unless they have deep pockets. Would I do it again...in a "New York minute." Our first morning on our first trip drinking coffee ar Mesa Verde as deer walked past is a memory we will always cherish. Yep, so will my first "black eater showers!" You are wise to ask questions and follow the advise, and I am sure the seller has been ther himself.
jimbob79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 12:31 PM   #13
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by juel View Post
The only problem with a 71 is that I don't believe they have the gray water holding tank. That came in 74.
That's true, but it isn't really a problem, unless you plan to boondock (camp where there is no sewage drains). If you stay in RV parks, you just hook up. If it really bugs you, you can add a gray tank at some point.

On the other hand, I believe that 1971 was the last year for real wood interiors, which makes the broken pieces a lot easier to repair, and many people fell that the wood is more appealing...
Old 07-02-2012, 01:12 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
Brecksville , Ohio
The pessimist in my is going to tell you that if a deal sounds too good to be true, it more than likely is. Our '66 overlander was "the perfect" trailer, and we were very green....Many folks on here have been at it a lot longer than I...so take heed to what they say. After the flooring, and the occasional soft spot, I would say check the plumbing (i doubt they will let you run water through it, but peer into cabinets etc and check pipes for any damage that could have occurred during improper winterization)...just my 2 cents...
julirisa6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 01:26 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
The OP is from 2007.
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 01:30 PM   #16
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote: