Old 09-11-2010, 09:04 PM   #1
Iron Station , North Carolina
New Guy, love some direction

I have been in love with Airstream since I was a kid, I have 3 kids, and looking for one I can build or get Bunks in. There are plenty 31+ footers around me for my range of 4500-6000 dollars, however I am really after something that will pull easy with my suburban, and we could not feel like it was to much for a weekend trip. I have now found the Argosy, but am having trouble finding info on airstreams with bunks, or one smaller that people have built bunks in.

I am really excited that my kids are all at camping age, and we are fired up , but now I just can't pull the trigger on a trailer. I really want a trailer that can house all of us and is a good weekend or longer trailer. I could got with a traditional trailer, but I just have to have an airstream. AND my wife would love to have one so I have the boss on my side, so I have to act fast before she changes her mind.

Thanks ahead of time.

Preston, in Iron Station NC.

SpringerNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 11:08 PM   #2
Rivet Master
2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 25' Tradewind
Houston , Texas
Hi Preston, take a look at They have an archive of Airstream trailers and photos so you can see what's out there. I've seen some Overlanders. 27 ft. that have had bunks made in the cabin. Good lunkheads in your hunt.

RichHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 05:52 AM   #3
Rivet Master
1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
Check out the classifieds in here. I myself have never seen one rigged up with bunks, But here's a link that shows cut away pictures of some airstreams. Good luck, get one while they are still floating around. Try to get one that has been restored and fixed up so you will not have to wrestle with fixing things, and will have time to enjoy the family. Bill
AIR-Quarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 08:18 AM   #4

Vintage Kin Owner
1973 Avion Travelcader 25' , ...
Welcome Preston,

Yes the 31's are plentiful these days as the market is trending towards the smaller rigs.

I don't have any experience with Airstream bunks but we do have one in the Avion.

Here's a thread with pictures of ours.

Good Luck,

"You wouldn't worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do."

Eleanor Roosevelt

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 09:00 AM   #5
thanks folks, I appreciate the help, I was gung ho on getting a 31, but they are just sooo long for a weekend getaway, and after reading around on forums, sounds like my suburban may struggle in the mtns of NC with it. I will check the links. I am but a poor school teacher so I AM looking to have to do a bit of work, as I think I am a solid carpenter/mechanic, and I want the experience, not to mention I will save some money not getting a restored model.
Old 09-12-2010, 07:26 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus
1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Greetings Preston!

Welcome to the Forums!!

When it comes to the 1960s through 1970s Airstream and Argosy coaches, adding bunks would probably be most easily accomplished with a coach having the center twin floorplan. The center twin floorplan was typically available in 24' (Trade Wind) and longer coaches. The most common version of optional bunkbed during that time period would have been the "hamock" bunk that was basically an aluminum frame suspended from aircraft cables hooked to roof fitting that rested on wall brackets - - the big issue was maximum weight rating for the sleeper. I have seen coaches up to 1964 that had factory custom fixed bunks on the center twins, but these evidently were far from common.

Good luck with your search!

Kevin D. Allen
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 06:52 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member
1973 31' Excella 500
Spring Green , Wisconsin
We have an Excella 500, 31' with only the twin beds and goucho. My wife is wondering what we are going to do with the grandkids when they go whith us. Well, I found these folding camp cot bunk beds at Cabella's. Cabela's -- Disc-O-Bed Cam-O-Cot Bunk Beds
Utilizing something like that in the living area, you wouldn't add much weight to the camper and you would open your search up to a lot of Airstreams that you may not consider large enough otherwise. Good luck with your hunt. Camping with the kids is a great time!!
Lew TAC #WI-6
Nobody can help everybody, but everybody can help somebody.
driftless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 09:38 AM   #8
found a 1973 land yacht for 6000, double twin just what I am looking for....had my dad check it out yesterday, and he said it was a mess. I was ready to go pick it up, back to the waiting. I may offer 2500 and see what happens, I am game for a restore, but just hope to stay small so weekend trips stay a possibility. 31 footers are everywhere though....but I am not sure I want that for a weekend trip, not does my 5.3 suburban want that in the mountains.
Old 09-17-2010, 01:09 PM   #9
Hey Springer I just bought a 75 31' Soverign in N.C. for $4000. I will pick it up on the 28th. PM me if you want to look at it and maybe we can make a deal.

wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote