Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-14-2014, 05:36 PM   #1

Oswego , Illinois
New guy in N. IL

I recently bought a book titled "How to Buy an Airstream" by C.S. Michael. He suggested to check out this site for all its good info and help. I am retiring in 17 months and have been looking for an airstream off and on for a while. But it can get a bit overwhelming with so many options out there. I hope this site can help me select the Airstream that is right for me.
tss1259 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 08:47 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Hello from Minnesota. My wife's folks bought an Airstream when they retired and traveled all over this great country for over 20 years. They loved all the people they met and the adventures they had. We just recently retired and plan to do the same traveling in the same Airstream. It's a lot of fun.

Airstream has a model for everyone. You have or will develop your plans for traveling. The trailer model for full timing is a lot different than one for weekend get-a-ways. Twin beds or queen? Front bedroom or rear? We use the recliner chair and couch, but others like the dinette. Maybe you want both. Most folks encourage the largest trailer you think you will want in the future instead of the trade up later plan. I believe the 25' and the 27' are the most popular Airstream lengths, but don't quote me on that. Once you know how you plan to use your Airstream and what you folks want for the most comfort and convenience, then the right trailer will be more apparent.

Eventually you should visit a large dealer and look at the different lengths, layouts, and trim levels. Used Airstreams are less cost but carry some wear and tear. You are probably handy and plan on making repairs and improvements yourself. If not, then researching a dealer's competence in the service department will be important.

Welcome to the Airstream community. I hope soon you'll be sharing all your Airstream travel experiences.

David
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 11:26 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
Hello tss; sorry we missed you, but there was a AS rally at Lowden SP this past week end. We had 14 trailers there and had trailer tours. We will have another rally in May, so you might like to put it on your schedule. You will see old, new, short, long, twin, queen etc and help make your decision. You will also get alot of opinions (advice).
mike
Airtandem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 11:38 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2023 16' Basecamp
Currently Looking...
Chgo. N.W. Burb's , Illinois
Read, visit Dealers,RV Shows and Visit the Rally's. Lot's of opinions and good info on the forum.
knunut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 11:48 AM   #5

Oswego , Illinois
Thanks for the info. When in May is the next rally.
tss1259 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 12:46 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
McHenry County , Illinois
Welcome to the Forum.

We will be meeting at Lowden State Park in Oregon Illinois for our Spring Gathering the weekend after Mothers Day, May 15th, 16th and 17th 2015.
I'll post more info in the coming months.
You can search "Fall Rally" to get an idea of what we are all about.

Tom

Tom Nugler is offline   Reply With Quote