Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2013, 10:46 AM   #1

1963 24' Tradewind
Franktown , Colorado
Smile New Guy

I am new to the forum. I bought my 63 Tradewind in 99 from the widow of a friend. Paid too much but it was for a good cause. It has been sitting needing restoration and now I have time to start and don't have a clue where to start.
I'm thinking of changing the single axel to two or four torsion systems to end up with a four wheel system for safety. I'd like any pertinent information anyone could offer on this subject.
Jim (Stub) Patton
63 Tradewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 11:18 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
The axle may need replacing and is simple to test. The work to change the configuration to two axles is not worth the effort. If you want 2 axles, buy a Overlander. I love the 63 Overlander I own. Depending on how talented you are, the time you have available, how you intend to use the trailer, you might want to consider buying a later model unit, with Gray water tanks already installed. Otherwise, you will need to tote along a Blueboy for your gray water.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 11:23 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
I agree with dwightdi, swapping from a single to a dual axle on a Tradewind would be a ton of work.

The single axle is already independent on each side if I understand your statement properly.
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:23 PM   #4

1963 24' Tradewind
Franktown , Colorado
Thanks for the replies! I haven't yet begun to get under the trailer. It blew a tire and tore up sheet metal on the left side, was repaired and I was just thinking of making it a safer vehicle. I'll be back after I start working on the thing.
63 Tradewind is offline   Reply With Quote