Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-26-2010, 07:23 AM   #1

Currently Looking...
Lewisburg , Tennessee
New from Tennessee

Good morning. I've been browsing for months now, and finally decided to join up. We are currently tent campers, but would like to move way up to an airstream.

I saw a local ad for 71 land yacht on craigslist this morning, and sent them these questions:

1. Has the trailer been used over the past couple of years, or has it just been sitting?
2. Are the axles on the trailer the original axles or have they ever been replaced? When was the last time the bearings were packed? When was the
last time the breaks were serviced?
3. How old are the tires
4. As far as the systems (air conditioner, heat, water heater, electrical) what definitely works and what (if anything) does not? Do all appliances
work?
5. How old are the awnings?
6. Has the trailer ever leaked? Are there any soft spots in the floor?

What else should I ask before I go and see the trailer?

Also, I know this is off topic, but also on craigslist this morning, I saw an add for a 1993 Award 723 trailer, looks pretty neat, wondering if anyone knows anything about these trailers?

Thanks
Greg-Teresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 07:48 AM   #2
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Waiting to Escape.... , Somewhere between sanity and insanity ... on the brink of both.
Welcome! Good luck!

TAC OK-42

Come See Minnie Mouse at the TAC Walt Disney World Fort Wilderness Rally
https://airstreamingdreaming.blogspot.com

"Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'." - The Shawshank Redemption
]
rebelstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 07:53 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
7. Has the trailer ever been recently stolen? ....
Old 10-26-2010, 08:47 AM   #4

Currently Looking...
Lewisburg , Tennessee
So stolen is a bad thing? I just assumed that meant you could get a good deal
Old 10-26-2010, 08:53 AM   #5
Pet Sitter Extraordinaire

1989 33' Land Yacht
Chattanooga , Tennessee
Welcome from another Tennesseean! Ask also about the holding tanks. A second tank was added to the 72 models, which would give you more waste water allowance. Before 1973, there was only one tank for the black and gray water to hold.

All questions can be answered right here on the forums, so don't be bashful about asking. There are also some folks that will do an inspect for you. You might want to check if there are any in the area where the trailer is.
kposey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 09:30 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Hi Greg-Teresa -- welcome to the Forums!

They all leak -- dried out roof vent & window gaskets ... junction of the shell & rear bumper and more. In depth floor inspection with a pocket knife or ice pick will tell you more.

I'd ask about what sort of regular use it has had. More use would suggest they'd do more upkeep. A lot of people would scratch their heads if I asked how old the tires are. More to the point -- do they hold air? Can I get it home? Axles are pretty old if they've never been replaced. Original furnaces probably should be replaced if they aren't already using a space heater.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 12:51 PM   #7
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Welcome to airforums.com, Greg-Teresa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg-Teresa View Post
Good morning. I've been browsing for months now, and finally decided to join up. We are currently tent campers, but would like to move way up to an airstream.

I saw a local ad for 71 land yacht on craigslist this morning, and sent them these questions: <snip>
I think you may find that a lot of people will NOT take the time to sit and fill in a mile-long email that it would take to answer your questions.

IMHO, I think you are better off to make a list of what you to know, but email and ask for their phone number so you can talk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kposey View Post
Welcome from another Tennesseean! Ask also about the holding tanks. A second tank was added to the 72 models, which would give you more waste water allowance. Before 1973, there was only one tank for the black and gray water to hold.
Now if you are talking about MoHos, you may be right, but if you meant Airstream travel trailers, the first models with grey tanks were the 1974s, and they were often small that year (mine is 10 gallon).

Before that, no grey tank.

Greg-Teresa,

There is a check list around here somewhere, can't put my hands on it, perhaps someone else will post it. Take that with you on your trip to go and see the trailers.

The key to start learning about them is to go and look at them and ask questions of the owners.

In the meanwhile, read read read, it's all here on the forums...

Good luck!
Old 10-26-2010, 01:33 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1998 19' Bambi
Parkville , Missouri
All the things that you are asking are important yet ..maybe.. you should be asking in person .. and then while you see the AS verify .. .. ..btw we found our 99 Bambi close to home (after a 2 year look) and in near new condtion on Craigs List ..but the seller was so tired of "wiedoo... &"stupid Questions" calls ..he was reluctant to get it out storge for us to look at it. My wife finally talked him in to us see it and the rest is .....
MoBambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 06:08 AM   #9

Currently Looking...
Lewisburg , Tennessee
Thanks for the replies

Thanks for all the replies, all very good information. I haven't heard back from the seller on craigslist and there was no phone number in the ad, so I will just keep looking.