Old 06-02-2015, 04:51 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
New From Pittsburgh

Hi,

I am a new member from Pittsburgh and put me in the "currently looking" category.

I currently own a Little Guy T@b teardrop trailer and tow it with my Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. I really love it. It is a great little camper and suits the type of travel I do.

I am considering going FT in another year or so and not sure how well the T@b will work out for that. I work from home, so the idea is that I would continue my current job from my trailer.

The T@b is great for boondocking and the furnace/hot water heater require very little from the battery. Since it is radiant heat, no energy is spent on a blower. It also has a 3 way fridge.

I need the ability to have an "off-road" type of vehicle, but know that I would need to change my TV if I move to a Bambi. My current tow capacity is 3500 pounds. The best I can find in an off-road type of vehicle is a Nissan Xterra, which comes in at a 5,000 pound capacity and would work with 16' Sport Bambi.

I am still doing a lot of research about whether I can manage FT or not. I have to figure out a few things before I can make a decision.

I have been lurking around this forum for a bit now and decided it was time to finally join.

Old 06-02-2015, 05:43 PM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us. You've found the right place for all things Airstream.

Brian

WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 07:01 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2016 16' Sport
Harrisburg , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKJenn View Post
Hi,

I am a new member from Pittsburgh and put me in the "currently looking" category.

I currently own a Little Guy T@b teardrop trailer and tow it with my Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. I really love it. It is a great little camper and suits the type of travel I do.

I am considering going FT in another year or so and not sure how well the T@b will work out for that. I work from home, so the idea is that I would continue my current job from my trailer.

The T@b is great for boondocking and the furnace/hot water heater require very little from the battery. Since it is radiant heat, no energy is spent on a blower. It also has a 3 way fridge.

I need the ability to have an "off-road" type of vehicle, but know that I would need to change my TV if I move to a Bambi. My current tow capacity is 3500 pounds. The best I can find in an off-road type of vehicle is a Nissan Xterra, which comes in at a 5,000 pound capacity and would work with 16' Sport Bambi.

I am still doing a lot of research about whether I can manage FT or not. I have to figure out a few things before I can make a decision.

I have been lurking around this forum for a bit now and decided it was time to finally join.
Hello, JkJenn,

I was on the T@B forum for a short time when I had the Sofitel, but as much as I loved many things about that little trailer, I realized it just wasn't the right one for us -- two adults (1 really tall one) and 2 little dogs. So we traded up to the Airstream. We just came back from picking up our Bambi and it is perfect. The permanent bed and real mattress in the Sport 16 are just two of the things that make the experience in the Airstream wonderful. Plus, it tows just as easily as the T@B.

One of the reasons that we bought the T@B was because I didn't really want to buy a new TV, but as fate would have it, my old car died and I had to get a new car. So, I got a Jeep Cherokee Limited -- which I absolutely LOVE. It has off road capabilities and with the factory installed tow package, can tow 4500 lbs. I know that we are not going to go bigger than the sport 16 (unless we win Powerball) so it is the perfect vechicle for us.

I always enjoyed your many helpful, interesting or fun posts on the T@B forum so I hope you will soon be posting photos of, and sharing new adventures in, your Airstream!
Old 06-07-2015, 10:39 AM   #4

Currently Looking...
Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bewell View Post
Hello, JkJenn,

I was on the T@B forum for a short time when I had the Sofitel, but as much as I loved many things about that little trailer, I realized it just wasn't the right one for us -- two adults (1 really tall one) and 2 little dogs. So we traded up to the Airstream. We just came back from picking up our Bambi and it is perfect. The permanent bed and real mattress in the Sport 16 are just two of the things that make the experience in the Airstream wonderful. Plus, it tows just as easily as the T@B.

One of the reasons that we bought the T@B was because I didn't really want to buy a new TV, but as fate would have it, my old car died and I had to get a new car. So, I got a Jeep Cherokee Limited -- which I absolutely LOVE. It has off road capabilities and with the factory installed tow package, can tow 4500 lbs. I know that we are not going to go bigger than the sport 16 (unless we win Powerball) so it is the perfect vechicle for us.

I always enjoyed your many helpful, interesting or fun posts on the T@B forum so I hope you will soon be posting photos of, and sharing new adventures in, your Airstream!
Hey, thanks for responding. I know a few have made the transition from the T@b to the Bambi. I have to say after watching a few thorough walkthrough videos, there would be some really nice upgrades moving to a Bambi. A dedicated bed will definitely be a plus, but mostly, I need to be able to transport and keep in decent shape, business attire, in the event I have to make a business trip or I decide to work in one of my company's local offices.

I am in the early stages of looking and would be making a purchase next spring/summer at the earliest. Do most airstream owners buy right off of the lot or do they put in orders? It does not seem as though there is much customization from the factory that can be done, so I am guessing people mostly look for the model they want and go to that dealer.

The one thing that has been amusing is that no matter the dealer, they all seem to be very impressed with the door and the fact that it takes the factory 8 hours to build it. Overall, it appears that Airstream does top notch dealer education. I think this is an area where the T@b could really improve.

I had been thinking also about a GC, so your feedback is helpful. I would rather not end up with a truck. The newer GCs seem to have up to 7,400 pound capacities. I have really enjoyed my Wrangler and there is a good chance the new Wranglers coming out in the next year or two will have diesel and other design changes, so it will be interesting to see if the new Unlimited models have an increased tow capacity.
Old 06-07-2015, 11:31 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Welcome to the forums and possibly the Airstream family. Also from Pittsburgh and been doing the AS and other Rvs for over 40 years.

Think long and hard about a larger unit and a truck. Both can be used. Take a look at Airstream of Western PA in Greensburg. George the sales person does a nice job and the two lead techs are Carl and Alex - outstanding. They are rebuilding a 30' for someone right now in the shop - down to new floor and studs.

Good luck
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 12:09 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Tomball , Texas
It is interesting to see people jumping from teardrop campers to Airstreams. We have a teardrop that was custom built for us and is now in our garage, which is nice for parking it. We have enjoyed it and really easy to pull but the two issues that I have and they will never go away is, no bathroom, stumbling around in the dark at night to use the little pop-up tent latrine. Not fun and will only become more of a hassle as time goes by. The second issue is no matter how nice our teardrop is, and it is nice, some RV parks will not accept it. It is too much like tent camping for some places. I don't care for being excluded. I hope that eventually my husband will see my wisdom and start the search for our next RV, an Airstream. I must admit, all the pictures make it hard to decide whether to go modern or vintage but I imagine price will drive a final decision. Long post, sorry.