Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2012, 06:43 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1964 30' Sovereign
Porum , Oklahoma
Smile New From Oklahoma!!

Hey guys. My name is Jesse and I recently inherited my grandparents 1964 Sovereign. They have had it for as long as I can remember (I am 30 years old) and I can remember going on trips with it when I was a young boy, 6 or7 years old. It has been sitting for several years so it is in desperate need of repairs. I have wanted to restore it for some time but after a closer inspection I was really concerned about the time and money that would be involved. But I hope with some help from this forum I can find the motivation needed to bring the memories if my childhood back to life and share them with my two sons and soon-to-arrive daughter.

I look forward to learning from this site and it's members and traveling with my "Big Silver Twinkie" as I have often referred to it.

I'll post pics when I get some tires for it and get it home.
colberjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 07:37 AM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

Welcome the Forums, Jesse. We're glad to have you with us. You have found the right place for the information that you will need to accomplish your goal.

The effort and expense will be well worth it for the family memories that you will be able to build on with your children. As with you, these Airstream memories are something that they will carry all of their lives.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 07:38 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1999 34' Excella
NE Central , Kansas
Welcome, and have fun with your restoration! You've come to the right place.
Old 07-04-2012, 04:38 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1964 30' Sovereign
Porum , Oklahoma
Thanks for the kind words, guys.

Any other Oklahoma members around?
Old 07-05-2012, 02:40 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by colberjs View Post
Thanks for the kind words, guys.

Any other Oklahoma members around?
Yep, Road Jager from Tulsa w/2011 I3500. Welcome
Old 07-05-2012, 06:03 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1964 30' Sovereign
Porum , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadJager View Post
Yep, Road Jager from Tulsa w/2011 I3500. Welcome
I'm in Tulsa quite a bit. I'll keep an eye out for you.
Old 07-05-2012, 06:48 PM   #7
Airstream Okies

1968 24' Tradewind
Vinita , Oklahoma
Fellow okie newbie here......We have a small ranch between Big Cabin and Vinita....just purchased a 1968 Tradewind from a gentleman who restores them in Shreve OH.......we will take 3 days pulling her back.....camping in KY, and MO.......i must have looked at a bazillion post doing research on everything from maintenance to gennys......(we purchased 2 yammies based on the recommendations in various post)......we also signed up for the Branson rally in October to meet new folks and check out other rigs.......Welcome
ranch dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 07:07 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1964 30' Sovereign
Porum , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranch dude View Post
Fellow okie newbie here......We have a small ranch between Big Cabin and Vinita....just purchased a 1968 Tradewind from a gentleman who restores them in Shreve OH.......we will take 3 days pulling her back.....camping in KY, and MO.......i must have looked at a bazillion post doing research on everything from maintenance to gennys......(we purchased 2 yammies based on the recommendations in various post)......we also signed up for the Branson rally in October to meet new folks and check out other rigs.......Welcome
You're over here on my side of the state also. I actually have a friend up around Vinita that has a dairy herd. Tom Carver. Anxious to see pics of your AS when you get it.
Old 07-07-2012, 12:25 PM   #9
Airstream Okies

1968 24' Tradewind
Vinita , Oklahoma
We have not met Tom yet.....as we are fairly new to the area. We will post pics when we get the AS home. Hope you make it to the Branson rally......stop by and have a homebrew barley pop....

--Give a man a match, and he'll be warm for a minute,
but set him on fire,
and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
ranch dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 01:54 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
New From Oklahoma!!

Greetings Jesse!

Welcome to the Forums and the world of 1964 Vintage Airstreams!

Quote:
Hey guys. My name is Jesse and I recently inherited my grandparents 1964 Sovereign. They have had it for as long as I can remember (I am 30 years old) and I can remember going on trips with it when I was a young boy, 6 or7 years old. It has been sitting for several years so it is in desperate need of repairs. I have wanted to restore it for some time but after a closer inspection I was really concerned about the time and money that would be involved. But I hope with some help from this forum I can find the motivation needed to bring the memories if my childhood back to life and share them with my two sons and soon-to-arrive daughter.

I look forward to learning from this site and it's members and traveling with my "Big Silver Twinkie" as I have often referred to it.

I'll post pics when I get some tires for it and get it home.

I also own a '64 Airstream, but mine is the two sizes smaller, a 1964 Airstream Overlander Land Yacht International. I would encourage to try to keep your coach with the family memories. It never would have dawned on me how much having the coach involved with your memories would mean until I found out that my Overlander is actually the coach that belonged to good friends of my family from the time that they special ordered the coach until 1980 . . . . my first camping trip was in that coach in 1964 when I was 5 years old. There is a relatively new thread here on the Forums that discusses how we found our Airtreams . . . or . . . . how our Airstreams found us . . . . you can find this thread at this link. I happen to be particularly fond of the '64 model year Airstreams for the obvious reason as well as the fact that it was the end of an era for a few features and the beginning for others.
  • The following features saw their last use on the 1964 Airstream coaches:
    • Door-within-a-Door -- this is one of my favorite features as it eliminates the need for a separte screen door that always seems to be in the way, and not terribly attractive.
    • Jalousied Windows beside entrance door -- this standard feature is another of my favorites as it permits ventilation except in very heavy driven rains . . . the downside being that you must be vigilant with keeping its gaskets and seals fresh.
  • The following features were new of significantly revised from prior years:
    • The Univolt was introduced as standard equipment. In its earliest year, it was little more than a battery charger. This unit was very noisy and noted for being less than kind to batteries as it was known for boiling the electrolyte.
    • This was the first year for demand-type water systems across the board with the Peters and Russell water pump.
    • This was the first year for 12-volt-DC electric lights that weren't paired with 120-volt-AC lamps in the fixtures.
    • There were still transformers provided for the water pump motor, the furnace blower motor, and the fans in the ceiling vents.
This was during the time when Airstream was extremely accommodating to specific special order requests from customers . . . so it is possible the one or more of the above may have been revised on your coach.

My suggestion would be to get a long legal pad or use the spreadsheet on your computer to coplete an assessment of the coach. On that assessment list the items that would need to be done to make the coach campable. Then list the long-term goals for restoration/refurbishment. You might find that a thorough cleaning, a few slip covers, and few minor repairs, and you will be able to enjoy your coach for several years before tacking the major items that may take the coach out of operation for a longer period of time.

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin

P.S.: You might want to be prepared for the possibility that the coach might have split-rim wheels. These wheels were often found on '64 models, but today's tire shops either won't service them or are reluctant to service them. New wheels can often be sourced from your tire dealer. The specifications for these wheels can be found at several places on the Forums.
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 08:54 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1964 30' Sovereign
Porum , Oklahoma
Thanks for the info Kevin. I haven't got it home to examine it thoroughly yet as I am trying to upgrade from the split rims as we speak. One thing I did notice in another thread that is apparently rare is street side jalousie windows which mine happens to have.

Here is a link to my rebuild thread I started. It will be a slow start until I get wheels and tires so I can get it home.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f154...ion-93365.html
Old 07-07-2012, 09:01 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1964 30' Sovereign
Porum , Oklahoma
Also,Kevin, I read your Post on the link you posted and thought you would get a kick out of this. This is on the back of my trailer:

Old 07-08-2012, 09:28 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
New From Oklahoma!!

Greetings colberjs!

Quote:
Also,Kevin, I read your Post on the link you posted and thought you would get a kick out of this. This is on the back of my trailer:

That is the same dealer who originally sold my Overlander. The only difference being that they placed their tag centered below the front window on my coach . . . it may have had one on the one-stop-service-compartment door as well, but it was missing by the time that I acquired the coach.

The streetside jalousies seem to have most often been special ordered on Sovereign coaches in 1964 . . . I believe that one person with an Ambassador has reported having the special order streetside jalousies.

Good luck with your coach!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 10:11 AM   #14

1979 31' Sovereign
Balko , Oklahoma
Hi Jesse! I've been lurking around here for a year or so. I too am a young (31) Okie 'Streamer! If you ever head west through the panhandle come see our 79 Sovereign! These guys around here are helpful and knowledgable. I hope to see you on the road some day!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4138639187.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	694.3 KB
ID:	162702
TylerPatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 08:03 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1964 30' Sovereign
Porum , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerPatz View Post
Hi Jesse! I've been lurking around here for a year or so. I too am a young (31) Okie 'Streamer! If you ever head west through the panhandle come see our 79 Sovereign! These guys around here are helpful and knowledgable. I hope to see you on the road some day!!

Attachment 162702
That's a good looking trailer. I don't remember the last time I was in the panhandle but if I ever get out there I will keep an eye out for it for sure.