Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-08-2018, 02:30 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
Marine on St Croix , Minnesota
New from Minnesota

Hello all. I've been a member of other forums in the skiing world and know how valuable they can be for friendships and help. I hope to contribute much!

Starting in 2019, my wife and our three young kids will be spending roughly 90 nights per year on the road. We plan to do that for the next 3-5 years, until they oldest gets too involved in school activities/sports. We do something similar now in our 41 ft Carver boat, but will be selling that and taking our act on the road in an Airstream.

On the hunt for our trailer now. Would love to get a 27, but currently leaning toward a 30 purely to get the bunk layout, giving us a fixed bed for every family member. Our TV is a 2018 F250 Diesel.

You've got a great community here. Looking forward to being part of it.
MNWhiskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 07:26 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Hello from Colorado, formally from Minnesota. I have been to your lovely community a few times.

Sounds like your family loves travel adventures. I think you are wise to consider the 30 foot bunk layout. You will enjoy the extra room for that many nights on the road. An Airstream is very comfortable and has all the comforts of home. Your tow vehicle will handle it nicely as I have a similar weight trailer and a similar tow vehicle.

Factor in your planning that many, many people are picking up the RV lifestyle. There are more and more people on the road. Maybe you have read about the lack of space in RV parks and campsites. We travel in the spring and fall which helps some. I don't like the crowds at national parks. I think state parks and government land is a better bet. Anyway, be prepared for the hassle of finding a place to camp.

David
WBCCI #8607 VAC Region 11
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
dbj216 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 08:12 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
North Bay , Ontario
Hello and Welcome from the north.

Sounds like a great plan.

As mentioned your F250 is a great tow vehicle. We have a 250 and love it. It pulls our GT 27 very well. We don't have kids so the 27 footer is perfect for us. It may as you say work better with a 30 footer for your situation. I am sure your 250 will do half the work while in tow.

Being a new member as well we have found this community very helpful with all our planning and questions. We hope to be a part of it for the long haul.

We love the U.S. and enjoy travelling across your beautiful country. Welcome again from your friends Up North!
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
Albireo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 10:11 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 30' Flying Cloud
2008 23' International
Keremeos , British Columbia
Welcome to the Forums! We have been Airstreamers for over 10 years and we also have a 24-ft Chinook motorhome. In the motorhome, we have to make up the beds every night. Let me tell you that it gets old really fast. Also, that bedding has to be stored during the day. Definitely consider the 30ft bunk model for your situation. Also, the corner shower in the bunk model is really nice, too.
Lisa

2017 30' FC | 2002 Chinook Destiny | 2008 23' Int. CCD (written off: hail!)
bolerama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 04:01 AM   #5
kpm
3 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Mound , Minnesota
Welcome from the Lake Minnetonka area. Sounds like a great plan.

I second the Ford Super Duty TV. We pull our 25FB with an 2018 F350, which we chose over the F150 primarily because of payload concerns, and also because we saw a sweet silver one on the dealer lot . I think you will find it is worth getting a decent weight distribution hitch even with such a heavy duty truck, both for sway control and to ensure sufficient weight remains on the front axles for good steering control - the acronym for this latter is FALR. If you want to know more search the forums or shoot me a PM.

Keith
kpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 09:35 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Gee, we may have to rename this thread the Minnesota Connection. We lived there 27 years and loved it. We were in Battle Lake MN just last weekend attending services for my wife's 97 year old mom. She had a wonderful life and we are taking good care of her Airstream.

We lived in Shorewood, the boys are graduates of Minnetonka High and UofM. Then we moved to Delano to our retirement home. My knuckle head boys moved to Denver separately and for different reasons, but they said they aren't moving back. So we followed them out here. It is nice to be close to our sons and families, but it would have been equally nice in Minnesota. We have more "powder snow" here and I do like seeing a bear walk through the back yard. Drives the beagle nuts.

Here we are in the Minnesota Airstream Park in Clear Lake, MN. It is a nice summer place to be. I love being under the big burr oaks. It was fun to meet many Airstreamers and see all the vintage rigs parked there. You might want to check it out some time.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	122_2236 (Small).JPG
Views:	48
Size:	131.3 KB
ID:	324839  
WBCCI #8607 VAC Region 11
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
dbj216 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 12:01 PM   #7

Currently Looking...
Marine on St Croix , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbj216 View Post
Hello from Colorado, formally from Minnesota. I have been to your lovely community a few times.

Sounds like your family loves travel adventures. I think you are wise to consider the 30 foot bunk layout. You will enjoy the extra room for that many nights on the road. An Airstream is very comfortable and has all the comforts of home. Your tow vehicle will handle it nicely as I have a similar weight trailer and a similar tow vehicle.

Factor in your planning that many, many people are picking up the RV lifestyle. There are more and more people on the road. Maybe you have read about the lack of space in RV parks and campsites. We travel in the spring and fall which helps some. I don't like the crowds at national parks. I think state parks and government land is a better bet. Anyway, be prepared for the hassle of finding a place to camp.

David

Thanks David. Great reminder. We should be able to map our route a few months in advance each year. Hopefully that gives enough time to find openings in most places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albireo View Post
Hello and Welcome from the north.

Sounds like a great plan.

As mentioned your F250 is a great tow vehicle. We have a 250 and love it. It pulls our GT 27 very well. We don't have kids so the 27 footer is perfect for us. It may as you say work better with a 30 footer for your situation. I am sure your 250 will do half the work while in tow.

Being a new member as well we have found this community very helpful with all our planning and questions. We hope to be a part of it for the long haul.

We love the U.S. and enjoy travelling across your beautiful country. Welcome again from your friends Up North!

Thanks. Have a great friend from North Bay. Love that area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolerama View Post
Welcome to the Forums! We have been Airstreamers for over 10 years and we also have a 24-ft Chinook motorhome. In the motorhome, we have to make up the beds every night. Let me tell you that it gets old really fast. Also, that bedding has to be stored during the day. Definitely consider the 30ft bunk model for your situation. Also, the corner shower in the bunk model is really nice, too.
Lisa

Yea, we have to do the same thing in our boat and it gets old fast. A little worried how limited our campground options will be with a trailer as big as 30ft, but for that many nights a year, I keep leaning that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpm View Post
Welcome from the Lake Minnetonka area. Sounds like a great plan.

I second the Ford Super Duty TV. We pull our 25FB with an 2018 F350, which we chose over the F150 primarily because of payload concerns, and also because we saw a sweet silver one on the dealer lot . I think you will find it is worth getting a decent weight distribution hitch even with such a heavy duty truck, both for sway control and to ensure sufficient weight remains on the front axles for good steering control - the acronym for this latter is FALR. If you want to know more search the forums or shoot me a PM.

Keith

Thanks, may reach back out. I have a heavy duty BW hitch I pull my other trailers with, but sounds like it may be worth going with the weight distribution options for the Airstream. I wish I could retrofit my BW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbj216 View Post
Gee, we may have to rename this thread the Minnesota Connection. We lived there 27 years and loved it. We were in Battle Lake MN just last weekend attending services for my wife's 97 year old mom. She had a wonderful life and we are taking good care of her Airstream.

We lived in Shorewood, the boys are graduates of Minnetonka High and UofM. Then we moved to Delano to our retirement home. My knuckle head boys moved to Denver separately and for different reasons, but they said they aren't moving back. So we followed them out here. It is nice to be close to our sons and families, but it would have been equally nice in Minnesota. We have more "powder snow" here and I do like seeing a bear walk through the back yard. Drives the beagle nuts.

Here we are in the Minnesota Airstream Park in Clear Lake, MN. It is a nice summer place to be. I love being under the big burr oaks. It was fun to meet many Airstreamers and see all the vintage rigs parked there. You might want to check it out some time.

David

That's great. Denver is not a bad place to be! We spent a lot of time driving and flying to the snow, so you might be the smart one. Will have to check out the park in Clear Lake!
MNWhiskey is offline   Reply With Quote