Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-19-2007, 01:45 PM   #1
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
New foot in the stream

Found a nice 2004 CCD Bambi in the classifieds on this site, took the plunge and joined the stream. The trailer was in excellent condition aside from a few dents on the roof from a fallen tree branch, but the owner discounted the price to account for the repair. So I'm happy. Can't even see it unless you're on a ladder.

I tow with a VW Touareg which has been amazing with the air suspension. Just drop the trailer on the ball and the car lifts the trailer back up to level. Very cool. Thanks to Devoman and Aircooled on this site for all the education for brake controllers, etc.

I added a hitch extension to hold our bike rack and use the Reese sway bar to keep the sway in line. Works like a charm. But womdered if one could weld a hitch receiver to the trailers frame under the trailers bumper. Looks like there are two skid plates extending down from the frame that would be able to handle the weight/stress of holding two bikes. Anyone tried this?
Click image for larger version

Name:	therig.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	37604
mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 01:51 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Welcome to the forums and the streamin community. Wishing you joy and fun in your new acquisition. Beautifull rig!

Marie
Old 05-19-2007, 03:13 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Hey Mojo,

Welcome! Nice rig (OK, I'm a little biased! ) Conventional thinking on the Forums is to NOT weld anything to the rear of your trailer. Even the hitch weight and the 50-60 lb. of the bikes will wreak havoc on your trailer frame as it bounces around going down the road!

I would go the roof rack route for your Toureg. See ya' on Alligator Alley sometime!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 06:24 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Sharp looking combo! Congratulations. My brother-in-law is in Fort Lauderdale, fun place to be.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 07:16 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Bertram , Texas
That is a sharp looking combo! I would stick with the roof rack, or the aft truck rack you show with the single if there is room. Probably not much weight, but every pound counts. Many folks will advise you avoid running with much in your holding tank due to weight concerns. You frame is probably much stronger than my old beast...but hey...better safe than sorry

Condrats on the new rig!
Rob an Terry