Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-09-2006, 10:57 AM   #1

Norfork , Arkansas
New Fly Fishing Couple from Arkansas

My wife and I are chomping at the bits to buy an AS for finding new fly fishing waters. She enjoys visiting with other campers and I enjoy fly tying. We have a 2004 Ford Expedition 4X4 4.6L V8 we plan to use as a tow vehicle. We like the 25 foot length, but don't have a clue as to which model would be best. We don't intend to have overnight guests as we've had our fill of that living on one of the US' most famous tailwaters. We look forward to meeting many of you in the fall, and can't wait to hear from you on the forum. Any suggestions for newbies like us would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Dry Fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 11:06 AM   #2
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Welcome to the forums and good luck finding an airstream for your travels

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 01:10 PM   #3
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Welcom DryFly ~
A 4.6L engine is on the low side of having enough power for something in the 25' length unless you go vintage. Even then may be questionable. The older units are considerably lighter and, IMHO, have tons more charm and character. Some do not want to deal with updating an older unit and enjoy all of the new ammenities that a newer trailer offers. To each his own. Best of luck finding your perfect Airstream and maybe we'll see you on the stream in the near future.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 01:55 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2003 22' International CCD
Tempe , Arizona
Send a message via AIM to PunkZTT
You know the 22' CCD has a desk in the back that would be great for tying flies
PunkZTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 05:31 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
Welcome!

I have to agree that your tow vehicle would seem to significantly limit you choices. We tow a 31' Classic with an F250 diesel, and even with it I'm a bit over my gross allowable combined weight limits. Of course your fly tying stuff won't add much to the weight.

Your choice of trailer is purely a matter of personal preference. The campground where my wife and I stayed on the Yellowstone River last summer for 2 months (and will be there again for 2 months this year) had another fly fishing couple that stayed there in a 19' Bambi; there's no way we could do that, but they obviously can, and do.

I fly fish in the northest through to early June, and then head to the northwest for the summer and early fall. If you and your wife are in either of those parts of the world, and would like a guide (I also have a cataraft for river floating) to some of the best rivers (or lakes), give us a holler!

John
Old 03-09-2006, 05:52 PM   #6
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Hey John ~

My wife and I will be in the Yellowstone area the week of Sept. 11th to the 15th. Will you be on the Yellowstone River during that time frame?
Booked a guide for a float down the Snake on the 13th.

Brad
FF

PS: Yeah - 1200th post.

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 06:18 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
Welcome to the Forum. I have a vintage 24ft, 1978 Argosy. Haven't actually had to go to all that much trouble fixing him up. The best part is that this Argosy weighs in at 3860 on the scales. Of course that's unloaded, but I think you will find the vintage trailers are within the weight range of your tow vehicle. We tow with an F150, 5.4L, V8, with ease.
juel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 07:28 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfshr
Hey John ~

My wife and I will be in the Yellowstone area the week of Sept. 11th to the 15th. Will you be on the Yellowstone River during that time frame?
Booked a guide for a float down the Snake on the 13th.

Brad
FF

PS: Yeah - 1200th post.
Brad -

We are spending the month of September at the Yellowstone's Edge RV Park which is about 30 miles north of Yellowstone Park and our campsite is about 10' from the river. If you get to come up that way, I'll take you for a free guided river trip. The fishing for big browns gets pretty good then, as does the cutthroat fishing on nearby small mountain streams.
Old 03-09-2006, 07:44 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Nipomo , California
Dry Fly,

You might want to check out the thread from a fellow flyfisherman inquiring about what trailer to purchase at:

http://www.airforums.com/forum...hlight=flgator

I'd sure like to join you all up at Yellowstone. Our last visit there was in our VW Camper and before I took up flyfishing. I know that the rivers are terrific there and want to spend some time trying them out. If not this year, perhaps next once my wife retires.

Tight lines....

Bowlus Road Chief "Endymion"
BMW X3 xDrive 28D
myoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 08:24 PM   #10
_

. , .
ya gotta kiss a load of toads.......

well come dry fly to airtream'n

plan a visit to the dealer is searcy.......not far from you.....it's a great place....very friendly, low key, and they carry a large assortment of models/styles and lengths.....

even if not planning to buy new......looking, and sitting and opening cabinets, and sitting on the toilet and trying the bed and dinette....are so useful.

having been inside as many as possible where ever possible.....will make looking at pix or floorplans or online for sale...so much more useful....

i still believe the wise approach is find the trailer and upgrade t.v. as needed....but the trailer is the first step in airstream happiness....

if you plan to use it much at all...size, floor plan and features are keys....so go get inside some!!!

cheers
2air'
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 06:36 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2001 30' Excella
Bedford , New Hampshire
fly fishing

Welcome to the forums.

Someday maybe I can see some of your flies. I'm just getting starting to tie some flies for myself.

Mark
Old 03-11-2006, 07:12 PM   #12

Norfork , Arkansas
John, sorry about the delay. My 83 year old father has been in the hospital and my older brother and sister are of the "out of sight, out of mind" culture. I have a 5.4 L F150 that I could use to tow. We try to schedule a trip to the Yellowstone area every year in September. If you don't mind, we'll keep your contact information, and let you know our plans for this year. If you're in the northcentral part of Arkansas, I'll "guide" you on either the Norfork (best unknown tailwater in the US) or the White Rivers. I can walk to the Norfork. Keep us in your prayers as we seek an AS just right for us. dry_fly
Old 03-11-2006, 07:14 PM   #13

Norfork , Arkansas
Thanks, Juel. Haven't even thought about an ARGOSY, but will begin to research them.
Old 03-11-2006, 07:16 PM   #14

Norfork , Arkansas
markjoandall

Am tying this weekend at Sowbug Roundup in Mountain Home, AR. There will be over 100 tyers there. I'll likely do deer hair bass bugs. Would love to have you watch me tie sometime.
Old 05-06-2016, 07:51 PM   #15
rvb
4 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 28
Euless , Texas
Tow vehicle with 4.6 L

I tow a '77 28' Argosy center bath with a Tundra 4.6L. It is 4,300# empty and we tow at 5,800#. My tongue weight is light at 540#. It tows great on the flat land in Texas and did ok in the mountains of Colorado last year around Durango. I just lower gears and more revs on the hills and drove 60 instead of 70. I am happy with this combination but wouldn't want to tow much heavier with this engine.

Both Argosy and similar vintage Airstreams weigh about the same for the same size so I would look at both. Look up your vehicles rated tow weight and reduce that by 1,500 -2,000 lbs and shop for that weight when looking at trailers.
rvb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 08:30 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
There are several tow vehicle threads going on right now....

Anyway, my 5.3 L Hensley equipped 1/2 ton Chevy makes a fine tow vehicle for my 7,800 pound 31' er.

You have choices, so long as it isn't important for you to race to the top of steep mountains.

Superat stultitia.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote