Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-25-2016, 12:57 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2016 20' Flying Cloud
Pullman , Washington
Smile New FC20!!

After years of dreaming, I have a new FC20! I've been practicing backing up and backing into a camp space. So far, so good (no dents!).

I have initially had two issues. First, being a guy and ignoring any written instructions, I failed to slide the coupler level forward before lifting. After getting help on the forum I was able to release the trailer from the TV. Second, there is something wrong with the brake controller in the TV and it needs to be exchanged. The trailer brakes come on without touching the brake pedal in the TV.

I really like the layout and size of the FC20. The counter space in the kitchen is generous as is the bathroom. The overall size of the TT is such that I can take in boondocking on the backroads of northern Idaho.

Hope to see you down the road . . .

Bob
SylverHilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 02:07 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by SylverHilton View Post
After years of dreaming, I have a new FC20! I've been practicing backing up and backing into a camp space. So far, so good (no dents!).

I have initially had two issues. First, being a guy and ignoring any written instructions, I failed to slide the coupler level forward before lifting. After getting help on the forum I was able to release the trailer from the TV. Second, there is something wrong with the brake controller in the TV and it needs to be exchanged. The trailer brakes come on without touching the brake pedal in the TV.

I really like the layout and size of the FC20. The counter space in the kitchen is generous as is the bathroom. The overall size of the TT is such that I can take in boondocking on the backroads of northern Idaho.

Hope to see you down the road . . .

Bob
Try lowering the "gain" on your brake controller first. (Sorry I'm foggy here - some integrated controllers don't mesh well with Airstream brakes... and there's some kind of simple fix... Do some searching using the google option for that.) If your controller is an add on... break down and READ those instructions, might just be a toggle switch on the controller. Of course the owner's manual for your tow vehicle might have the same info for an integrated brake controller.

Next the problem might actually be in the brakes. I had one badly adjusted set of magnets in my first trailer's brakes and one wheel dragged. Only about 100 miles from a dealer, turned the controller almost OFF and drove there slowly. 10 minute fix by a good mechanic.

There's an "emergency breakaway cable" on the tongue of your trailer that should be hooked up to the tow vehicle. It is supposed to apply the trailer brakes if your trailer becomes separated from the tow vehicle while it's underway. It locks the brakes when it's pulled out of it's receptacle. Something loose there might be the culprit. Try pushing it into the receptacle - or jiggling it around. If it's loose that could be a simple fix. BTW once or twice a season you need to pull it out, check for corrosion or dirt & proper activation, and reinsert it. DON'T pull it out and leave it out, you'll burn up your brake magnets. (Also handy if you unhitch on sloped land without properly chocking your tires... STOPs your trailer from running away better than grabbing it and hanging on screaming.)

If there's no problem with the breakaway system, then does the problem only occur when you've got the umbilical plugged into the tow vehicle? Look for dirt/corrosion on your plug, wear on the umbilical cable (especially where the idiots run it out from under the tank cover - see an earlier thread today - or some other short.

As a woman this might be a tad easier for me, but whenever you are in a campground you're surrounded by RV'ers, many of whom have owned and maintained trailers for decades. By and large, RV'ers are friendly and helpful - and if you walk up and ask "is there anyone here who can help me with a ____________ problem, you'll have 5 guys with toolboxes, multimeters and contact cleaners helping you track down and fix the problem. Offerings of soft drinks and/or beer are usually the only payment expected or accepted.

Paula
Old 05-25-2016, 08:41 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
Welcome Bob! I bought my FC20 in February and love it!! They have a wonderful floor plan and are just the right size.

There is a thread in the Flying Cloud forums that we 20 Footer folks hang out in....lot's of great information. Come on over and join us.
Old 05-25-2016, 09:47 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Mohnton , Pennsylvania
Welcome Bob!
You have already expressed your joy of being a FC 20!
We have thoroughly enjoyed our Flying Cloud 20' for the past two years.
Exceptional layout, easy to tow and never without a campsite we can comfortably fit into.
PNW camping adventure in definitely in our future adventures.
See you down the road,
FCloud9
FCloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 03:29 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2016 20' Flying Cloud
Pullman , Washington
Brakes now Working . . .

Thanks for all the helpful replies. I had the Chevy dealer check out my brake light system (at the suggestion of the AS dealer) and it was working perfectly. The AS dealer replaced the brake controller and . . . Everything Works !!!!

Thanks again . . .

Bob
SylverHilton is offline   Reply With Quote