Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2017, 02:43 PM   #1

Old Town , Florida
New, excited, and just a tad overwhelmed...

Hi there! I’ve recently inherited an old Airstream from my grandmother. I know that it’s a Sovereign of the Road, but am having trouble figuring out the year. I found an old paper inside titled, “Airstream Service Tips How to Clean your Airstream” dated 4-22-58. When trying to research online everything I found said to look at the plate located by the door that would have letters and numbers stamped into it. I’ve been stumped, because while there is a plate, there are only numbers on it. After doing some looking on this site, would I be correct to assume it’s a 1959…one of 14 made in that year?
I’ve included pictures. She’s in pretty bad shape. My great uncle lived in it for years. After he died 20 years ago, my grandmother used it as storage and the mice and squirrels took it over. I know it's going to be a lot of work (more than I'm probably willing to admit.)

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I’m excited and overwhelmed at the thought of getting her roadworthy again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	iphone dump 297.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	559.8 KB
ID:	289795   Click image for larger version

Name:	iphone dump 308.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	268.1 KB
ID:	289796  

kristind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 02:48 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Welcome to the Forums! Looks like you have quite a project on your hands--but worth the effort!

good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 02:49 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Welcome to the Forums! Looks like you have quite a project on your hands--but worth the effort!

good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 04:53 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
New, excited, and just a tad overwhelmed...

Greetings kristind!

Welcome to the Forums and the world of Vintage Airstream ownership!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristind View Post
Hi there! I’ve recently inherited an old Airstream from my grandmother. I know that it’s a Sovereign of the Road, but am having trouble figuring out the year. I found an old paper inside titled, “Airstream Service Tips How to Clean your Airstream” dated 4-22-58. When trying to research online everything I found said to look at the plate located by the door that would have letters and numbers stamped into it. I’ve been stumped, because while there is a plate, there are only numbers on it. After doing some looking on this site, would I be correct to assume it’s a 1959…one of 14 made in that year?
I’ve included pictures. She’s in pretty bad shape. My great uncle lived in it for years. After he died 20 years ago, my grandmother used it as storage and the mice and squirrels took it over. I know it's going to be a lot of work (more than I'm probably willing to admit.)

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I’m excited and overwhelmed at the thought of getting her roadworthy again.
While the project may seem a bit overwhelming, try breaking down the work into a number of smaller projects that you can complete in increments. One of the first will likely be cleaning and assessing both interior and exterior to determine precisely what is needed to meet your goals. Your approach may vary depending upon whether you want to retain originality (since the coach has a history in your family) or if you want to "customize" it to fit your specific plans for the use of the coach. If you are uncertain about assessing the coach, you may want to consider contacting one of the volunteer inspectors to assist you in the process -- these volunteer inspectors may be found by following a link on the homepage of this site.

There are a number forum members who have Airstreams that can be traced back in their families, and it can be quite rewarding to bring one of these coaches back to life. While my Overlander wasn't originally owned by a family member, it was owned by very good family friends so I have known the coach since it was new.

Good luck with your project! I am sure that you will find that it can be a rewarding process bringing back your Sovereign.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 06:09 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
1968 26' Overlander
Beaver County , Pennsylvania
kristind,

Welcome to the forums and welcome to Airstreaming. Sorry for the loss of your grandmother. Your VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) indicates that your trailer (project) is a 1959 30 ft Sovereign of the Road. (309008)

I took a look at vintageairstream.com where there is a listing of each year, usually with a few photos of each model. Usually the VIN methodology is described. For your model that is true. It also confirms there were 14 of the 30 footers made that year.

We wish you great success as you dive into your trailer and want to let you know the forums have been a huge help for us. We recently finish our second Airstream and noticed a significant improvement in the "final" outcome. (I use the word "final" but, in truth, I think we never really finish. We keep tweaking and adding things and changing things.) Our most recent trailer is documented here, if interested, https://www.airforums.com/forums/f39...er-155180.html

The folks here have a tremendous amount of experience and are always willing to share, so don't be hesitant about asking questions, sharing a photo, or looking for help. Someone here has solved whatever problem you come up against and will help.

We hope you enjoy the project phase of the Sovereign as much as we're sure you'll enjoy the traveling and adventure phase,

Roy and Marie
64airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 06:23 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1957 26' Overlander
Winston Salem , North Carolina
Welcome to the forums Congrats on your upcoming project. It can be done, and it will take time. I'm currently on year 4 of my 1957 Overlander renovation. Granted, my case isn't the case for everyone, but time and money play a huge factor. Just know that from the start, and you can break it up into smaller projects that are more manageable. These forums are a great resource! When you get started, you'll want to start with the frame and floor, and the axles. We did a shell on restoration. I look forward to seeing how this progresses!

Follow our blog! https://theoverlanderproject.blogspot.com/
lonewolf1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 08:29 AM   #7

Old Town , Florida
Thank you all for the encouragement! My enthusiasm sort of died down in the midst of the humid and buggy summer months. I'm excited about customizing our Sovereign to fit our family 7! If cooler weather will ever come to Florida, I plan to start this fall.
kristind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 07:54 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Hello from Colorado. It is always cool and dry here in the foothills of the Rockies. BUT, Colorado is known for snow, like from November through April. The skiing is great here. Some say San Diego has the best weather in the USA.

My first Airstream was almost a 59 Overlander 26'. I passed on it due to the single axle. It just didn't look well balanced to me, see photo below. Your family 59 Sovereign has had a rough life in the Florida "moisture" and salt air. It is likely an aluminum shell and not much else. I think a good shell is worth about $3000. People here on these Forums lift the shell off the frame, then build a new frame, and install a new subfloor. Then they rewire and replumb the trailer with modern systems. Finally they build the interior they want. This is usually a multi year project involving more than $20k in parts and materials. Even restoring one of those old leaky windows can be quite a job.

Not to be discouraged though. It is a fun challenge resulting in a quite valuable camper. I like the longer Airstreams for comfortable traveling, but the shorter ones are cute, and worth more.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1309 Door Side 2 (Small).JPG
Views:	131
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	297737  
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 04:52 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristind View Post
Thank you all for the encouragement! My enthusiasm sort of died down in the midst of the humid and buggy summer months. I'm excited about customizing our Sovereign to fit our family 7! If cooler weather will ever come to Florida, I plan to start this fall.
Welcome to the forum, and good luck with the project! Don’t forget that the mouse droppings might contain Hantavirus, and that you should undertake various protective measures.

https://www.cdc.gov/hantavirus/index.html
https://www.google.com/search?q=Hant...=airforums.com

Have fun!

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 06:13 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
I wonder how many times I've been around mouse droppings. Three belly pans, working in the park, and cleaning up at home. No wonder I'm half crazy!

David
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote