Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2017, 09:43 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
The Panhandle , Idaho
New Classic Owner in Orange County

Just returned home from completing the paperwork on one of the last remaining brand new 2017 Classics in Southern California. They wanted to clear it off their lot so good timing for us.

Should take possession on the 25th if everything is ready. One thing we did not pull the trigger on is the "Platinum Protection Systems" Interior and Exterior treatment. One time charge of $1995 and it has a 5 year warranty. They apply treatment to the exterior using a nano-technology that is supposed to seal the pores in the skin and provide a long lasting protection and high gloss. (I'm reading that from the brochure.) Other products used on the interior surfaces.

Anyone have any experience with this system? Wondering if it is worth the added expense for peace of mind.

Anyway, been lurking here for years while we got ourselves to the point of buying our Classic. Big step up from the 22 foot Hybrid we've been camping in for 11 years. Looking forward to many happy years of camping.

Regards,
Hoagie
Hoagie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 10:22 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Expensive 'mouse milk' in my mind. You can buy a lot of wash and wax for that price. It's a tool to raise the dealers profit IMHO. .
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 02:45 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1995 30' Excella
Harper Woods , Michigan
I've sometimes felt that the purpose of a 'dealer maintenance program' was for maintaining the dealer. I think it may come down to how much of the maintenance that you are willing and capable of doing. For some people, time spent keeping things tidy and greased are happy hours, whereas for others it's drudge work that must be done before the good times start. If the latter case applies to you, then if you have the jingles - go for it.
Bob Blarney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 03:20 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Congratulations on your purchase. We have had our 2017 Classic since last September and spent over 100 nights in her so far.

I would recommend not purchasing the protection package. The Airstream, all of them, are clear coated, just like your car or truck is today. There are rivets and seams not usually found on vehicles but these only need to be addressed if one pops or every two or three years some caulking - which I've never done. The top is another matter. I check ours every six months as it is outside 24/7. Then on past Airstreams I pull all the old caulk up every two years and re-caulk, maybe I stretch it to three years sometimes. No issues on any of our four Airstreams with leaking, so far.

I would also you check out the trailer specific forum thread Classics in these forums.

Best of luck

Bud
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 11:33 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
The Panhandle , Idaho
No Protection Package

Thank you for the replies and the greetings. Your opinions pretty much matched what I was thinking. Especially the comment about maintaining the dealers's bottom line.

I had the opportunity to check with a colleague that owns a vehicle detailing company. Not the trailer-mounted type; all details are done inside his climate-controlled facility. We've had our autos in to him and been very happy with the results. So I asked him about the specific package this dealer was offering and also what he might offer. His response was interesting.

He actually knows the owner of the company and the chemist that developed the Platinum Protection Package. They had him try it out for his use in detailing. He rejected it. He uses Nanoskin by Megatrend, which he can apply for about 1/2 the cost. Still, at that price I think I can apply a coat of Walbernize every 3 or 4 months.
Hoagie is offline   Reply With Quote