Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-23-2019, 03:11 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
Riverview , Florida
New Buyer looking for advice

Hello. We are preparing to purchase an airstream and want to ensure we make the right choice. My wife is retiring soon and the plan is to take an extended trip out west and north. We live in Florida. Although we looked at the 28' and 30', we are concerned about towing and camping limitations with the larger models so we will probably get a 25'.

Any advice from those who have traveled to national and state parks out west would be great.
Troy Sass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 03:28 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
What are you going to tow with? That makes a big difference.

Tow Vehicle: 2020 F-350 6.7L Diesel
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 03:49 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
We have a 2016 25' Flying Cloud, and we visited 10 National Parks and many State Parks on a trip last year. The twin model makes it feel bigger inside, and it provides more space for changing clothes in the bedroom area. We could have probably had a larger trailer at most of the places we stayed, but not all. We just fit into some of the sites with the 25'.

Still, spend as much time as you can in each of the models, and move around like you're using it to see how they feel. Longer trailers obviously provide things like more counter space and storage.
Old 02-23-2019, 04:28 PM   #4

Currently Looking...
Riverview , Florida
We have a 2014 chevy silverado 2500 6.6 duramax 4x4 and a Trailer Sway Control Elimination ProPride 3P.
Troy Sass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 04:33 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
How fun.

I suggest you avail yourself of some of the Long Long Honeymoon videos on YouTube.
They also go by I think LoLoHo

These are a married couple who give very useful and entertaining videos on airstream travel and camping in general.

The best tip we got from them relating to national parks was on their video about Yellowstone. It discussed how some of the pull through sites are lined with tree branches and kind of tight. The tip is to not pull through them, but to drive past, and then back into them. Why? If you backed in, then you are pulling out when you depart, and you know you will clear everything just fine because you already cleared it backing in. Also often it can be better to do this, and situate your rig so you park your truck behind your trailer and not at the tongue.

We have used this tip a lot! It's very useful for both avoiding tree damage, and also to get the trailer door at the best spot in the campsite.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 06:36 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Here's my advice.
Go to a dealer that has a good inventory.
Spend some time in each.
Don't just admire the wine glasses on the table, kick off your shoes and stand in the shower, see if you can reach all the cabinets, sit in the dinette for more than five minutes. Can you comfortably watch TV? Lay in the bed, pretend you are changing sheets. And the biggie, pretend to sit on the toilet, can you close the door? Stand up?
I have a 26 and pretty much like everything, but if I did it over, I'd take a longer look at the twins over the queen, just for the extra storage and floor space.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 07:11 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
I doubt you will have any issues with a 28’ getting into parks. You can pull a 28’ with a 1/2 ton pickup. I have an F150 3.5 Ecoboost max tow. Plenty of power. Not sure if you already have a tow vehicle. If you get a regular size bed the 28’ is better for moving around. The problem with twin beds is you lose closet space. We also like the “living room” set up better for sitting.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 08:51 PM   #8
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
We full-time in a 34'. Only one place prohibited us from staying. Just wouldn't allow....
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 09:06 PM   #9
Trailer Sold, Waving

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Stettler , Alberta
Some good advice here. When I was deciding (a three-year journey) I definitely wanted a Globetrotter 27. Then I definitely wanted an International. Then I stopped at a dealership and spent a few hours in a few different Airstreams. The local sales person pointed out that basically, they are all Flying Clouds with different interiors, but all the "bones" are the same. I ended up with an FC26, and could not be happier. Take your time, find a 5-rivet dealer, make sure you know your trailer before signing the contract.
WBCCI #6679
Acheron2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 01:01 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2019 23' Flying Cloud
West Sacramento , California
If going for a queen be careful not to bang your head on the cabinets in the bedroom. It hurts.
Did I mention it smarts? Yep. Especially if done twice. Maybe even three times for slow learner's.....not saying that was me. Nope.
Good luck.
Brandon T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 03:58 AM   #11
rbs
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
Decatur , Illinois
our experience

we started with a 25' Classic with twin beds, and liked everything about it, except the sleeping apart. Now have a 30' Classic queen and love it, haven't found the difference in length to be any issue towing, parking anywhere we've been. We like the interior layout of the Classic, but did remove the recliner sofa and replaced with recliners for more comfort. If sleeping apart is not an issue, the twin layout is the most efficient use of space regardless of length
rbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 05:15 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Sass View Post
We have a 2014 chevy silverado 2500 6.6 duramax 4x4 and a Trailer Sway Control Elimination ProPride 3P.
No limits to what you can tow with that. I have a 27’, used to pull with a 1 ton Ford gas, now with a 2500 Dodge Diesel. I would go 25’ or 27’, hook up and go!
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 11:07 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 27' Classic FB
Ridgefield , Washington
We have a 27' Classic and have not had any problems in the National or State parks. As an example, we reserved a spot in Yosemite last year that was for "24 foot maximum". The was no issue getting in. I'm not sure what criteria they use but every time we've been in a similar site we have had zero issues.
A 25' is a really good size for two people. Our trailer has a couch that can turn into a bed just behind the fridge. We have never used it so its really just wasted space. Another thing to consider is if you will watch any TV. We rarely watched TV when we had a Class C so we never gave it a thought when we got the Airstream. Times change and we watch movies and TV regularly. We've found that there is no really comfortable way to watch from the dinette.
I walked though a 26U at the dealership last year and really liked the layout. It may be something to consider.
We really like the LoLoHo vids on YouTube. I keep thinking they will run out of material but they continue to produce interesting and informative videos.
Good luck with your search.