Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-25-2017, 01:22 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
New Black and gray tank care & maintenance

My wife and I just brought home our first Airstream camper, Fort Worth TX to Durango CO. A 2017 25 and we are stoked. We upgraded from a TC and are looking forward to the Airstream lifestyle and community. having said that, I am reaching out to you advice on new holding treatments, primarily the gray tank, the black is obvious. I can't find anything about gray tank treatment only how to dump them. I really want to get this one right so all the tanks and monitors last a very long time. Any advice is appreciated
Coalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 01:27 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
You really don't need to treat your grey tank, altho if it sits unemptied a long time it could develop an odor.

I empty mine with the black each time, and pour a little PineSol cleaning water down the sink...never had a problem with odor.

Have fun.

Maggie
Old 06-25-2017, 02:34 PM   #3
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Welcome to the group !!!

Gray water is basically soap and water. You don't run food and garbage down your sink in an RV. There's not much to "ferment" or otherwise go wonky on the gray tank side. If it does go weird, bleach and water will likely take care of any issue. The usual black water tank advice of "load it up with ice and drive around" is not quite as easy with the gray tank. Fortunately it's also not generally needed.

Fill wise, the gray normally fills up much faster than the black. You likely are filling fresh water every few days. Generally, dumping both holding tanks at that time is a good idea. Having a full hookup site can make the process fairly painless. It also lets you mostly fill the black tank and then dump it. Doing that with 186 people behind you in line at the dump station ... not so much.

Lots of fun !!

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 11:18 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Black and grey tank care

Thanks for advice. It sounds like what I did with my previous camper, dumped black tank then dump gray tank and flush hose. Thanks again
Coalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 06:16 AM   #5
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coalman View Post
Thanks for advice. It sounds like what I did with my previous camper, dumped black tank then dump gray tank and flush hose. Thanks again
Hi

Yup, it's pretty much the same with all RV's. Go a little more crazy before it goes into storage for the winter ...

Bob
Old 06-27-2017, 06:38 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
We have been using RV Digest It in the black tank for the past year and are pleased with the results. We also will use it in the grey tank every once and awhile (we are basically full timers so our tank gets a lot of usage.) I'd say I put it in the grey tank about once a month.

https://amazon.com/Unique-Digest-Holding-Tank-Treatment/dp/B003X3PQN2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1498566889&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=RV+Digest+it&psc=1
Old 06-28-2017, 07:28 AM   #7
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

In either tank, you should avoid the various "drain cleaner" products sold for homes. A few of them are not very compatible with plastic plumbing. Why they still sell them in this day and age is a mystery to me. Fill each tank up with fresh water, soak for an hour or so, dump to the sewer should be about as "wild and crazy" as you need on any sort of regular basis. In the fresh water tank, maybe add a bit of bleach to the mix (flushed out of course). It's all a wonderful exercise on a slow day when you have a full hookup site. How often to do the drill? For many the answer is - never. I'd suggest at least once a year as a minimum. If you full time, probably more often than that. There are variations like 2/3 full and drive a bumpy road or an ice load in the black or gray tanks. To me that's *way* to much work unless you have observed some sort of problem.

Bob
Old 08-22-2017, 08:21 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Rockton , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
You really don't need to treat your grey tank, altho if it sits unemptied a long time it could develop an odor.

I empty mine with the black each time, and pour a little PineSol cleaning water down the sink...never had a problem with odor.

Have fun.

Maggie

Great idea[emoji13]
jbknowso is offline   Reply With Quote