Old 11-12-2006, 08:50 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Ottawa , Ontario
Congrats Ron & Cindi!

You must have found one of the last available Quicksilvers. I had only seen one listed when I was doing some inventory searches last week. Really wanted to see one up close in person.

Enjoy!

Cheers

campadk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 09:42 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
axles or wheels?

I'd get new axles/wheels before redoing the axles. What is the tire rating (should be on the sidewall). If some 15" tires would fit with a higher loadrange, I think you'd be good to go. Just check out where your axle arms are, and see if they go up when you load it up.
Marc

Old 11-15-2006, 11:24 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2006 16' International CCD
Sun Valley , Idaho
We have one also

Welcome, We Love, Love our Quicksilver. We put 10,000 miles on our little
baby this summer. Started the last of March as soon as we could get her
out of storage when the snow melted, we were off south to Texas and many
trips to Steamboat Springs, Co. One of the last trips was to Canada,Banff &
Lake Louise. WE had to turn around as it started to snow. Ended up at Lake
Owyhee in Oregon.
You might load more in your tow V. and save the weight in the Bambi. I get
yelled at all the time that it has to go in the Pickup. we tow with a Ford F 250 super duty with a v10 engine and John gets teased all the time by guys who say ..Ya think you
have enough power to pull that rig?? Ha! Happy Trails and have fun...Warm
Regard, John & Betty
Old 11-15-2006, 12:00 PM   #18
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by raptorron
We added a "Hensley Arrow" hitch. Prior to ordering it I searched this forum and could not find anyone who said anything bad about it. I have just got it installed (very easy in about 2-hours) but haven't towed with it yet.

I want to up-grade the axle, wheels and tires to a greater capacity. both enjoyable and informative..
hi raptorron and welcome to airstreamn and the forums...

if you've got any issues with your haha, ask'em over here...

http://www.airforums.com/forum...de-26279.html?

we have a resource going for the hitch...

if you plan to spend the money on axle changes, i'd suggest upgrading to disc brakes too....

better stopping power, more progressive, less fade and fewer parts to maintain...

david tidmore at the weatherford dealership owns a bambi and added the kodiak disc brakes. they do quality upgrades of this system...

the factory service center will also do the disc upgrade. i've seen 'em do the work...

price is the same both places. i'd trust either to get it right.

cheers and happy camping
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 07:42 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

New York , New York
After a bit of contemplation I've decided to go for it. I don't really need 4300lbs, but I'm tired of living on the edge at 3480 lbs without water. And wondering if my 1850lb/C rated tires will blow if I have to hit 75 to avoid being smushed between a pair of semis.

And so I'm scheduled to go to Jackson Center to get the axle/wheel/tire/disc brake upgrade on Feb 13th and 14th. I'll let you all know how it goes.

enjoy,
leo

(ps pardon for the multiple postings...the 16' Bambi GVWR issue had a few threads)
Old 01-04-2007, 04:36 PM   #20

Scottsdale , Arizona
Can some one please explain to me what we are talking about. Are you saying that a new Bambi has literally ZERO extra weight capacity besides it's own weight. That's what I'm reading. No water?....what in the world are these people thinking when they design these trailers. Carolyn and I are in the market to buy but the negative stuff I read on this site actually scares me away from plunking down my hard earned cash.
doors don't fit....brand new roofs leak..Fit and finish below par for the Mercedes reputation and price tags and now I'm being advised that I will need to take canteens of water slung on my truck bumper because the trailer can't support it own weight waddling down the road..Whoa is me...
Please straighten me out here guys...I'm totally confused....
Chris
Old 01-04-2007, 09:46 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

New York , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by clinck
Can some one please explain to me what we are talking about. Are you saying that a new Bambi has literally ZERO extra weight capacity besides it's own weight. That's what I'm reading. No water...?
The Quiksilvers came equipped with every conceiveable option. Mine ended up with 51lbs available (assuming full water tanks...though not waste). Everyone is different but we carry about 200-300lbs of stuff - but alot of that is just the wrenches and hoses and stuff that you need on the road. So we don't carry water.

Your prospective Bambi may well be different - if you have access to one near you look in the closet and you'll see the Net Cargo Capacity (NCC) for that Bambi as it came from the factory with all options added. So you may well be fine.

All that said, we dearly love our 16' Bambi and wouldn't trade it for anything else. My wife and I and our two young kids have already taken two fun trips in it and are looking forward to one in the spring. (As mentioned above) We're just going to get the axle upgraded before we go.

enjoy,
leo
Old 01-06-2007, 06:34 AM   #22
1983 Sovereign 31'

1984 31' Sovereign
Mount Olive , North Carolina
Congratulations Ron and Cindi and best wishes with your modifications. This is the place to be to get feedback on any considered changes. Good information from good people.

Mac and Linda
WBCCI # 3292 AIR#16287
Buckeye (Chesapeake Bay Retreiver)
1983 31' Sovereign (Carmen O)
2006 2500HD Duramax SLT CC 4x4 (Brutus B)
Mount Olive, NC 28365
"Pickle Capital of the World"
Mac1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 07:52 AM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Ottawa , Ontario
Hard to believe the 16ft is so close to capacity.

Here are the ratings on our 19ft...

GVWR: 5000 lbs
less UVW: 3690 lbs
less 31gal fresh water: 260lbs
less 16gal propane: 60 lbs
= CCC (cargo carrying capacity) of 990lbs

So even with full propane tanks and full water tank, we have nearly 1000lbs for gear.

I doubt we will have even 500lbs, as any loose gear will be in the TV, and not likely to travel with water. So I figure we'll be under the rating by about 750lbs, or 375lbs per tire.

Considering you are using such a massive/heavy hitch like the Hensley Arrow on this small trailer... does this actually add to the 'cargo' weight you are carrying, which must be considered in your calculation?
campadk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 08:14 AM   #24
4 Rivet Member

New York , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by campadk
Hard to believe the 16ft is so close to capacity....
The problem is that the Quiksilvers were shipped with every concievable option. I did save about 30 lbs by removing the LCD TV, the portable exterior speaker, and the CD changer (our CD collection has been converted to ipod). I seem to remember that at least one of the others here with a double digit NCC does have a 'normal' 16' CCD, but the problem is more pronounced with the Quiksilvers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by campadk
Considering you are using such a massive/heavy hitch like the Hensley Arrow on this small trailer... does this actually add to the 'cargo' weight you are carrying, which must be considered in your calculation?
I merely the admirer of the HAHA, not an owner. My TV/hitch could not deal with that much additional tongue weight. I have an equal-i-zer hitch.

enjoy,
leo