Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2015, 09:45 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2000 34' Excella
Raleigh , North Carolina
NEW AS Owners in Raleigh, NC

Good morning all... We're happy to have somehow stumbled into the AS world. I used to see Airstreams on the road & thought that they looked cool but were crazy expensive. I've been daydreaming for years as I'm out riding the Harley of owning property up in the mts of NC or VA. You know how it goes as you set wheels into motion.. Next thing I knew we had found an amazing property @ a great price up on the Smith River in the VA mts. We started looking at RVs and went to see them in person. I was shocked at the amount of plastic, depreciation of value, & just the overall cheap feel.

I started researching on the internet & started leaning toward the AS., I started searching on CL and boom... I found one less than 30 mins from the house. It was an amazing deal on a 2000 34' Excella that the previous owner did an INSANE amount of upgrades with the work performed by Outdoors Mart (which i've come to know and appreciate their quality).. Since he went the route of motor home, he made it a turnkey pckg with all the needed towing equipment to hook up to my F150. The AS is pristine and the price was great. It even has a sleep number bed 8-) Our AS now lives between Raleigh, the Floyd, VA area, and hopefully on some adventures this summer. We have a 2 yr old boy and a little girl on the way 8-) Our motto is save for tomorrow while living for today. We'll be making sure to pack in as many memories as possible as the kids get bigger and Mom/Dad get older

If anyone is near Raleigh or the Floyd, VA area and would like to catch up, I'd love to meet and chat. We've got soooo much to learn about our AS. I'll search thru the inspectors list to see if I can find someone local that I can temp with BBQ & beer to give it a once over and teach us the ins/outs of it. 8-) I stayed in it a few times during the winter and it wasn't the best 1st impression having to worry about freezing water lines. Now that I've stayed in it in warmer temps, I'm loving it... I'm proud of the American engineering and construction as well as the fact that every single nook and cranny seems to have had consideration given to it...

Thanks all for the tons of info on the forum..I've been lurking and reading since Oct 2014 as I encountered those head scratchers that owning something new brings you.

B
Uncblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 09:53 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Pfafftown , North Carolina
A few miles north of Floyd in Copper Hill, VA is Virginia Highland Haven, one of the Airstream only campgrounds. Its season runs from May 1 to October 15. The overnight rate is $25 plus tax (about $27.50 in total) with the 7th night free. The campground sits on top of a ridgeline with beautiful views of the mountains. It is a great place to meet Airstreamers and learn about your trailer.

If you have a chance visit Highland Haven for a few days this season and make some new Airstream friends. I can assure you they'll freely share their knowledge of the trailers and their camping experiences.
WBCCI 3823 - Unit 12 | AIR 48265
Florida 55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 10:07 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Beat me to it Florida 55! I highly endorse this campground. Check the website and call the camp host. Beautiful and quiet.

Also do consider brunch at Chateau Morrisette - SE of Floyd JUST off the Blue Ridge Parkway. Not inexpensive but wonderful - a birthday or anniversary place to dine. Wine tasting - well I sleep it off in the car afterwards.

Paula
Old 04-16-2015, 10:18 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Come to some Airstream Rallies(Rallys?). I belong to Unit 21, check the WBCCI website. You would be welcome without being a member. Our next rally is Williamsburg in May and we will be up at Virginia Highland Haven in June.

Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 11:09 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Y0u would do well to think about Alumapalooza at the Airstream factory the last week of may. Alumapalooza.com is the website. Great event to get information, attend seminars and meet others who love to talk about Airstream's and love to help newbes. Yes there will be other kids.

Marie
Old 04-16-2015, 11:35 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2000 34' Excella
Raleigh , North Carolina
Thanks all for the info. We might be able to do some of the local events but we're limited on any long trips so that we can save vacation time to be used once our little girl makes her arrival in Aug.

I think Highland sounds fun & is only about a 30 min trip for us... I like the idea of pulling the AS some more as I've only towed it once or twice since purchasing it.. We might do a trip down to the OBX in May...Maybe take it down there vs doing the B&B thing...
Old 04-16-2015, 11:40 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2012 25' Flying Cloud
2007 20' Safari SE
Fuquay Varina , North Carolina
New as owners in Raleigh, NC

Hi Uncblue,
We live in Fuquay Varina, NC and would love to chat about our Airstreams.
Don't know what part of Raleigh you live in, but we are about 15 miles from downtown. Send me a private email and we can talk.
Thanks,
Tom
Silverbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 07:00 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Mocksville , North Carolina
Congratulations on your purchase. My wife and I live in North Carolina and just purchased our first Airstream last week as well. Did you buy the one at Out-Of-Doors Mart that had the slide out and the Hensley hitch already installed? I saw that one on their lot. It did have some awesome upgrades, but looked too heavy for my 1/2 ton truck. Anyway, hope you enjoy it.
Echelon73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 07:14 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Pfafftown , North Carolina
Virginia Highland Haven Airstream Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncblue View Post
Thanks all for the info. We might be able to do some of the local events but we're limited on any long trips so that we can save vacation time to be used once our little girl makes her arrival in Aug.

I think Highland sounds fun & is only about a 30 min trip for us... I like the idea of pulling the AS some more as I've only towed it once or twice since purchasing it.. We might do a trip down to the OBX in May...Maybe take it down there vs doing the B&B thing...
Uncblue --

Virginia Highland Haven was our second stop pulling our newly purchased Airstream home from New Jersey. It is a good place for Airstream newbies to land. The spots are easy to back into. We found the other Airstreamers very friendly. Lots of advice and tips were shared. We had planned to stay only one night but due to the warm reception and beauty of the location we spend some extra days to relax, enjoy the scenery, and calm our nerves from the stressful first time towing trip south on the Jersey Turnpike and I-81. Since then we've made the two hour trip from our NC home a number of times. It is one of our favorite camping locations.

As Isbrodsky indicates, the Carolinas Unit of the WBCCI will be having a rally at Highland Haven June 11-14. The Southeastern Camping Unit is having a hiking rally at the campground May 22-25. The Southeastern Camping Unit rally has a hiking and wine tasting theme - the plan is to hike trails at some of the local nature preserves and visit local wineries. Both of these WBCCI units are very welcoming of new Airstreamers and will invite you to participate in the rally without any obligation to join the unit or engage in any particular rally activity. Tagging along at one of these rallies is a great way to find out what the WBCCI is all about and determine if it is an organization you wish to join. Having belonged to both units I can attest they are both full of friendly people but they each have a different personality based on their outlook toward camping and social activities. This year we hope to be at Highland Haven during the time both rallies are in residence and look forward to enjoying spending time with both groups.

Of course you can visit Highland Haven, or any Airstream only campground, when a rally is occurring and not be involved in the rally at all. With 44 sites, and only about 20 site owners in residence at any time, there are almost always sites available for Airstreamers to show up at the park and find an open site. However, it is always good to call ahead and make a reservation. No deposit is required and the camp host will advise you if the park is expected to be full so you don't arrive and find no sites available. Prior to the park opening May 1, you can send an email to the park to request a reservation, the phone will not be answered until May 1 when the first volunteer host arrives. Note, when you camp at Highland Haven, payment must be in cash by personal check. The park does not accept credit cards!

Here's a link to the Highland Haven website:

Virginia Highland Haven Website
WBCCI 3823 - Unit 12 | AIR 48265
Florida 55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 09:58 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2000 34' Excella
Raleigh , North Carolina
Thanks everyone for the kind words and info. We purchased from a private seller less than 30 mins from our house. It was really awesome how it all kind of came together... If this rain will ever let up, we might be able to get the road cut in and well/septic/elec installed on our land... We're already on our 3rd start date

i'll send out some PMs to catch up with some locals. We passed by ODM this past weekend but when coming back, it had closed about 30mins earlier...

I look fwd to crossing paths with you all...