Old 07-04-2016, 08:38 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Escondido , California
New AS owner and have questions Tamboor and 7-way prong

Hello, we just purchased a 1975 31' LY Sovereign and have lots of questions. Posted 2 questions on the forum but so far no one has responded. Is there anything we need to do so we can receive some information opinion and advice?
Our first question was regarding the 7-way prong, we have no idea how to connect this
Second question- where can we find the tamboor rolling door? We need on to replace the broking vertical tamboor door below the kitchen sink. The ones I see online are very thick and it will not fit the track. Our is only 1/4 thick and 42 inch wide.
Any help will be much appreciated.

thank you

Old 07-04-2016, 09:02 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
1973 31' Sovereign
Mount Angel , Oregon
Hello and welcome to the Airforums!

As this is a Holiday weekend, responses may be delayed in coming. I can't speak to the 7 way plug---do you mean the umbilical cord to the tow vehicle? How did you get your Airstream home?

That tambour is hard to come by. Keep your eyes on the parts portion of Airstream Classified. Occasionally some comes up for sale. Our old 73 AS had lots of ripping, falling apart tambour that I was forever duct-taping together. You could try one of the Vintage Airstream stores. My daughter and son-in-law's sign off is "Can I have your tambour?"

Susan

Old 07-04-2016, 09:10 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1976 29' Ambassador
Atlanta , Georgia
I may have some for sale. I've gutted my '76 Ambassador and virtually all the tambour doors are in good shape. I have tambour doors for under the gaucho sofa, kitchen, and overhead storage. Some will be reused and some won't and I still haven't figured it out yet.
Old 07-05-2016, 12:43 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Escondido , California
Hi Chae:

We needed a 42" wide X 25" high, walnut brown in color and this is the one below the sink.
If you have another one for the wall across from the door beside the gaucho, we are interested in that as well because the one we have is hard to open and close.
How much do you want for those two?

Thanks,
sonia and hugh
Old 07-05-2016, 12:50 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Escondido , California
H Duncans,

You are correct, it is the umbilical cord from trailer to the tow vehicle.
If you are looking at a clock, starting at 1100 o'clock, then at 100 o'clock, 3 o'clock, 5 o'clock, 7 and 9 o'clock , we want to know the color and function of the wires at the trailer end and the car end.

thanks,
hugh and sonia
Old 07-05-2016, 07:32 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1976 29' Ambassador
Atlanta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by clceals View Post
Hi Chae:

We needed a 42" wide X 25" high, walnut brown in color and this is the one below the sink.
If you have another one for the wall across from the door beside the gaucho, we are interested in that as well because the one we have is hard to open and close.
How much do you want for those two?

Thanks,
sonia and hugh
Hi guys, I don't have the wall one but I think I have the kitchen one. I'd need to check the pile of parts and check with the missus about the kitchen plan. I'm taking a short hiatus from the rehab for a couple of weeks (it's parked in a friend's property) so I won't know for sure for about 2 weeks. If time is an issue, I think inlandrv.com has it.
Old 07-05-2016, 07:36 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1976 29' Ambassador
Atlanta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by clceals View Post
H Duncans,

You are correct, it is the umbilical cord from trailer to the tow vehicle.
If you are looking at a clock, starting at 1100 o'clock, then at 100 o'clock, 3 o'clock, 5 o'clock, 7 and 9 o'clock , we want to know the color and function of the wires at the trailer end and the car end.

thanks,
hugh and sonia
Are you looking for this?

http://vintageairstream.com/wp-conte...nConnector.gif
Old 07-05-2016, 07:53 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Weatherford , Texas
There is a good diagram of the 7-pin umbilical cord wiring posted at etrailer.com. Print both the trailer side and the TV side diagrams and have them available where you work. I'd also advise having a helper to confirm your work, because there's a lot of mirror-image thinking involved, and it's very easy to get confused. If one person is looking at the diagram while the other is doing the wiring, it helps a lot.

You may have to use a battery or battery charger (any 12-volt power source, actually) to identify each wire in your U-cord. The old color codes are not the same as the new ones.

First, with your trailer battery disconnected, use an ohm meter to identify the ground wire. Isolate and if possible label that, because you do not want to apply power there.

Then, set your meter to DC volts, connect your trailer battery, and identify your 12-volt charge line.

After those two are known, connect your 12-volt source between each of the remaining wires and the frame of the trailer (negative goes to frame). See what lights up or engages (brakes) for each wire. You should find brakes, tail lights, two turn signals, and backup lights (if your trailer has them).

Once you know what each wire does, connect them to a 7-pin plug in the correct locations. While you're out there with a meter, it's not a bad idea to confirm that the 7-pin socket on your TV is wired correctly. Power off the vehicle and ohm setting on the meter until you find the ground pin, then DC volts setting and have a helper in the driver's seat activate each function in turn.

Hope this helps. Best of luck.
Old 07-11-2016, 11:32 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Escondido , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chae View Post
Hi guys, I don't have the wall one but I think I have the kitchen one. I'd need to check the pile of parts and check with the missus about the kitchen plan. I'm taking a short hiatus from the rehab for a couple of weeks (it's parked in a friend's property) so I won't know for sure for about 2 weeks. If time is an issue, I think inlandrv.com has it.
Hi Chae:

Wondering if you are able to check with your missus about the tamboor doors. We'll be happy to get just the one for under the kitchen as it is missing and exposed right now.

Thank you,
sonia and hugh