Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-04-2009, 10:23 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
FL Panhandle , Florida
New and sick to my stomach.

We sold our SOB motor home and I gave my husband an ultimatum: Airstream or nothing. I was tired of watching RV's rapidly deteriorate in the driveway. Also, we wanted a recent model that didn't require a lot of work and we could use now. We found a 2005 Safari in pristine condition and we bought it way too fast and probably paid way too much... I say that because I had no idea about the filiform erosion problem, until after we brought it home, and I read the thread in this forum. Sure enough, our new shiny baby had several tiny white "worms" coming out of the rivets around the belt and a few others, too. I immediately became sick to my stomach and wondered if a divorce was pending. Hubby has been a prince about it though, saying, everything deteriorates in Florida, and he'd still rather have an A/S. But I am majorly upset and disappointed. This is just the kind of thing I was trying to avoid. I read most of the 72 pages of posts in this forum about remedies, or lack of, and we are confused about what to do. Advice and reassurance sorely needed!
Foil-warped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 10:29 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Just relax

Filiform on an airstream is just cosmetic. If one does not have it...wait...you will. There should be nothing there to keep you from enjoying your Airstream......except your own misplaced anxiety. Go have fun.
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 10:39 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foil-warped View Post
We sold our SOB motor home and I gave my husband an ultimatum: Airstream or nothing. I was tired of watching RV's rapidly deteriorate in the driveway. Also, we wanted a recent model that didn't require a lot of work and we could use now. We found a 2005 Safari in pristine condition and we bought it way too fast and probably paid way too much... I say that because I had no idea about the filiform erosion problem, until after we brought it home, and I read the thread in this forum. Sure enough, our new shiny baby had several tiny white "worms" coming out of the rivets around the belt and a few others, too. I immediately became sick to my stomach and wondered if a divorce was pending. Hubby has been a prince about it though, saying, everything deteriorates in Florida, and he'd still rather have an A/S. But I am majorly upset and disappointed. This is just the kind of thing I was trying to avoid. I read most of the 72 pages of posts in this forum about remedies, or lack of, and we are confused about what to do. Advice and reassurance sorely needed!
Keeping the trailer, waxed with a top quality wax, minimizes any and all corrosion on the shell.

In Florida, probably a good wash and wax job should be on the agenda every 3 months, or more, depending on how close the the trailer is to the salt water. The closer, the more frequent the exterior PM.

If not, in time, the penalties can become excessive.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 10:39 AM   #4
_

. , .
the cure is to get a case of MOTION sickness...

hi 'wraped

Quote:
... I was tired of watching RV's rapidly deteriorate in the driveway...
buyers remorse takes many forms.

and EVERY blemish seems like a catastrophe.

the problem i read here is that u r watching things deteriorate in the driveway...

GO CAMPING!

these ships are built for travel and travel adds nicks, wear, repairs and MEMORIES to offset the occasional oops.

it's a lot more fun to say...

"honey remember when you backed into that moose in yellowstone, i just love this dent right here..."

Quote:
... I read most of the 72 pages of posts in this forum about remedies, or lack of, and we are confused about what to do...
the stream will look best with EVERY CHANGING backdrops. trees, mountains, lakes and giant valleys make the crud insignificant.

THIS is the ultimate remedy.

so IF you've read the entire thread and NOT found a solution or 2,

repeating those solutions in this thread is unlikely 2b useful, but...

ADD belt line trim and acryl-r at the long horizontal panel edge.

this is very effective at COVERING the rivet heads and panel edge where many have issues.

apply a quality sealant twice a year to the skin.

ALL of these things have been covered in great (perhaps excessive) detail.

then go camping someplace and WEAR the thing out...

before YOU deteriorate.

there is a january rally just 1 hour east of you.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/cale...y=2010-1-8&c=1

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f288...ner-55516.html

it's a good chance to play and look at dozens of 'streams...

all of them have issues and so do the owners,

but they still manage to have a good time, try it!

just check out the photos in these threads, a LOT more fun than reading about crud...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f288...9-a-44317.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f288...lly-35478.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f288...lly-27292.html

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 11:40 AM   #5
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
Not much I can add to the excellent post above.

Look to the corrosion thread for tips to slow the advance of the corrosion. IMO the rate can be reduced using these techniques.

I have an '05 and it has deteriorated more slowly than typical RVs. I suspect yours has too, judging from the "pristine" condition.

But the biggest thought, and I'm echoing the post above is to expect some deterioration from use and the elements and not get too excited about it. View the trailer from 5-10 ft, not inches, and look at it in a camping environment. I think you'll find it still looks great! At least from my experience there will be little dings, corrosion areas, scratches, etc. from normal use.

I just got back from a long trip and some of my favorite Airstream sights are 20+ year old units wearing some age proudly, out camping in beautiful circumstances.
tpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 11:54 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Oh, I wouldn't get too upset about a little corrosion. It's a pretty natural occurence: Things deteriorate with age, some faster than others. Our rig has some corrosion, and it'll continue slowly. The rig is now 42 years old; the corrosion won't get out of hand until we're long-since planted.

At least it's not a fiberglass-sided rig. Holy Cow, you should see what happens to them. A little corrosion? No. Complete walls delaminating and having to be replaced wholesale. And this in a relatively short period of time. (We see them with frequency here at the park.)

Like 2airishuman and Andy wrote: Give it a waxing from time to time and GO CAMPING!

Lynn
Old 10-04-2009, 12:02 PM   #7

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from Walton County

First off, Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

We have a 2005 Safari 25FB, named Lucy, that we bought new in June of 2006. In the past three+ years we have spent over 500 nights in Lucy, and have pulled her over 50,000 miles.

Lucy has some belt line corrosion like you describe. We don't worry about it, and just go on adventures. Lucy has been great in heavy use, and has exceeded our expectations.

We live about 45 miles east of Pensacola in Santa Rosa Beach. We live three houses off the Gulf. We wash Lucy occasionally, and have waxed her once. I don't think that Lucy has any worse corrosion than other late model Airstream we have seen.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 01:46 PM   #8
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
'wraped, don't be foiled. We bought an Airstream two years ago and travel with it a lot. But, there have been many, many quality control items, all of which have been covered under warranty. This angers me. On the other hand, we have no corrosion. But our wheels have the coating coming off—a different problem than filiform corrosion, but similar and indicative of Airstream using cheap components.

Fate deals a different hand to everyone.

I use Griot's paint sealant once a year (yeh, it really lasts that long) and occasionally use the Spray on Wax they also sell. This stuff is easy to use. As a preventative measure, I had the trim put on at the beltline that 2air referred to. It looks just like the trim at the bottom of the aluminum panels, though it's not quite the same size vertically.

But, despite my anger with the Airstream factory, we enjoy eating our own food, sleeping in our own bed and having a unique trailer.

So, like 2air suggests, go camping. Enjoy what you've bought, vent here about corrosion, and take steps to deal with it.

Airstream's boss, Bob Wheeler, has promised to post about corrosion (though he's certainly taking his time), so watch this thread:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f318...eam-53083.html

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 01:54 PM   #9
_

. , .
folks, lets NOT start another pissnmoan C thread...

IF you need to vent about C go here...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f142...ams-31743.html

or one of the 31 OTHER threads on this issue (with 1 for each type and location of C)...

so far that hasn't happened in the first few posts, but could.

notice i addressed the o.p. as wraped...

when in fact the word is foil-warped

not that this applies in THIS thread or 2 this new member, but...

typically when someone newly registered 2a forum, posts their FIRST thread on a controversy...

in some circles that's trolling, so don't take the bait.

lets all help 'warped get UN-warped and off on some adventure...

or have some tasty bubba gump shrimp instead of being hooked like a dead mackerel.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 02:00 PM   #10
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman View Post

notice i addressed the o.p. as wraped...

when in fact the word is foil-warped
Me too. Sorry Foil-warped.

Gene
Old 10-04-2009, 02:08 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Corrosion pffft. Get that thing on the road. Go places, see things and eventually the dents, dings, adventures and memories will make you realize how unimportant those "worms" are.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 06:26 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1986 Argosy
Denver , Pennsylvania
Without reading a lot of the posts yet about corrosion, I know I've dealt with my share of it with my boat. Electrolisis and the salt water KILL the outdrives. Ever bought a pair of Bravo 3 outdrives?! After doing a lot of reading I learned thatA) You have to keep the metal coated with something. Obviously you aren't going to use marine paints, but a good quality sealant will help a lot. For you more technical peeps; On boats we use a minute electrical current to help protect out prescious metals. Is there something similar to use on these trailers?
Catman6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 06:44 PM   #13
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Hate to call a halt to all this sealant conversation, but filiform corrosion only occurs under a sealant, not where the worm head is exposed to oxygen. You might be better off taking off the sealant and letting it breathe.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 06:58 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
Sorry to hear that

I live on the West Coast and lucky for us we don't have that problem. NOT!
We have a 2006 Bambi and it has the same problem. It put a bur under my saddle when I first noticed it but it doesn't bother me anymore. I honestly think that it has either stopped corroding or it slowed down that it's advance has become unnoticeable. When I first noticed it I waxed it and have kept that up about twice a year. Maybe that is what has arrested it. So my advice is don't let it bother you.

Bottom line...enjoy your Airstream.

Randy and Patty Bowman
OB Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 07:27 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2019 28' International
Leonardtown , Maryland
I have corrosion on my 2002 classic. I carry a little brass brush, paint thinner, acyrilic spray and a bottle of JD. When camping and evening is coming on I make a JD and coke, walk around the trailer with the brass brush and clean a couple of the spots. Make another JD, put a little thinner on a rag and clean a couple of the spots. Make another JD, look at the can of spray and sit down and just enjoy the beautiful evening.

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do two days from now.

Rebee - WBCCI #1325
2002 Classic Ltd 30'
2007 Dodge 2500, 6.7 Cummins
Rebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 07:51 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' International FB
Shoreacres , Texas
Hey foil warped! Welcome to the forums. Our 2008 International has the dreaded corrosion at the beltline and the dealer replaced my tail light bezels for the same reason. I was upset at first, but decided I have enough grey hair already. I agree with the posts that say get out there camping and forgetaboutit!! I soon realized in our travels and trips that the only person who ever noticed it was me! Everyone else at the campground only noticed a beautiful trailer with a great reflection in the firelight.

So, good luck and good camping
Silvertherapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 08:33 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
Dpn't sweat it - after reading the threads, you come to the conclusion that they all have it-I know mine has some. Wash it and polish it once in a while. The minor nicks and stone marks will accumulate as a fine patina. Recently, mine acquired a golf ball size size dent above the door - from a golf ball. You can see the dimples, and I found the ball laying next to the trailer in the fenced yard that I keep it in. I started to get bent out of shape about it, but it's not worth the stress. It won't keep people from admiring my Bambi when we travel. No matter where we stop, someone has to come up to ask about it, and is amazed that it is almost 10 years old. No one will notice the little flaws but you.
robert claus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 09:44 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
holland , Pennsylvania
dont know if i have corrosion or not.i wash the trailer a couple times a year with an automotive wash and wax and it sits outside year round.picked up some rock dents on the front panels even with the rock tamers on the truck,and i believe that is what they are there for.just get out and enjoy like previous posters have said.ill be worn out before this trailer ever gets close.fortunately my wife cares less about little nicks and scuffs then i do.our motto is when were away nothing is ruining our vaca.remember if it aint breakin your not rving.
xonvldz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 04:26 AM   #19
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
I try to accept the QC problems with the trailer, but it's hard given this product is sold as a premium quality brand and charges accordingly, but mgt. has cheapened the brand.

Gene
Old 10-27-2009, 07:29 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
Like others - we have come to accept our growing colony of little white worms - and we pay attention to them in the same way - clean, apply Corrosion X, wait, clean and seal - but that doesn't mean we've become apathetic to the problem. We give many impromtu "tours" of our unit every year to wide-eyed admirers of the trailer - part of the tour now includes a visible inspection and frank discussion of Airstreams manufacturing problems. Our intention is not to discourage the purchase of an Airstream but rather to provide any potential buyer with a solid understanding of what it is they may be buying - the good and the bad - and what to look for when searching. We used to feel kinda proud that we might have been the tipping point for a new purchase - now we feel pride if we've given someone helpful information on making an informed choice.

In a world where quality is important and expectations are high it seems ironic that an American, indeed Global, icon is, at least for the time being, obviously running the other way.

Jay

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
RangerJay is offline   Reply With Quote