Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-03-2009, 09:52 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member
 
1960 24' Tradewind
Fairfield , Ohio
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 36
New and Need Help!

Hi everyone,

I just purchased an airstream for $600! It needs some work, but it is definitely solid. I think it is a 1960 Tradewind. It has a plaque on the side that says Land Yacht, but no other plaques that have a name on it. I have the serial numbers:
24DS-0406 and 12804 E. Firestone Blvd. Sante Fe Springs CA. 160. I am looking for any information about this model and any drawings or schematics. Any info or tip is VERY welcome.
__________________

__________________
WcfdPiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 09:59 AM   #2
Site Team
 
azflycaster's Avatar
 
1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 12,121
Images: 62
Blog Entries: 1
Welcome to the forums!

$600 is a great price for any Airstream in solid condition.

24DS-0406 is the VIN and it matches with a California built 1960 Trade Wind with the double bed layout. Pictures of that year and model can be found here:
60Tradewind
__________________

__________________

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 10:10 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
 
Inland RV Center, In's Avatar
 
Corona , California
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 16,499
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by WcfdPiper View Post
Hi everyone,

I just purchased an airstream for $600! It needs some work, but it is definitely solid. I think it is a 1960 Tradewind. It has a plaque on the side that says Land Yacht, but no other plaques that have a name on it. I have the serial numbers:
24DS-0406 and 12804 E. Firestone Blvd. Sante Fe Springs CA. 160. I am looking for any information about this model and any drawings or schematics. Any info or tip is VERY welcome.

Congrats.

The frst issue you should address, is to make the trailer exterior, water tight.

Check all the gaskets for having a good seal.

Gaskets for the windows, doors and vent covers, are readily available from a dealer that deals with "parts for the older Airstreams."

After that, you can putter with the trailer as your time and budget permits.

Andy
__________________
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 06:24 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member
 
1960 24' Tradewind
Fairfield , Ohio
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster View Post
Welcome to the forums!

$600 is a great price for any Airstream in solid condition.

24DS-0406 is the VIN and it matches with a California built 1960 Trade Wind with the double bed layout. Pictures of that year and model can be found here:
60Tradewind
Thanks for the info. Those photos are great and will definitely come in handy. Any idea where I can get more info or any info on the layout of the systems? I'm sure the LP needs updated and I don't know about the electric yet. The guy I bought it from says all the electric works. We'll see. Thanks.
__________________
WcfdPiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 06:28 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member
 
1960 24' Tradewind
Fairfield , Ohio
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 36
Thanks for the info. It does make sense to check the gaskets. Any ideas o where I can get some additional info on this beast. I cannot find a user manual anywhere and I was hoping to find out about the different systems. I am sure that the gas and plumbing will need work and I haven't checked the electrical yet. Do you have any tips on fixing the flooring? Thanks for your help!
__________________
WcfdPiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 07:11 PM   #6
Rivet Master
 
Foiled Again's Avatar
 
2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 5,882
WELCOME Aboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by WcfdPiper View Post
Thanks for the info. It does make sense to check the gaskets. Any ideas o where I can get some additional info on this beast. I cannot find a user manual anywhere and I was hoping to find out about the different systems. I am sure that the gas and plumbing will need work and I haven't checked the electrical yet. Do you have any tips on fixing the flooring? Thanks for your help!
OK, I am not a restorer, but I've read these forums a lot. Use your SEARCH function. Look for threads such as "Frame off restoration" or "the full monte" for major floor up rebuilds. California built Airstreams vary in some details from those that come from Jackson Center Ohio... but in the end they are hand built and older ones often have had prior modifications - some good, others not so much. You find what you find.

BTW "Inland Andy" is a vendor who has LOTS of parts for vintage Airstreams. They do a great job of really having the right thing - not something you have to modify six times and "fit" with a sledge hammer. He did give you VERY good advice about getting it water tight first. I'll add this advice - read and research a lot. Make lists of tasks to be done and figure out which come first, which are absolute necessities and which are nice to have.

Big issues - gaskets around windows, door, vents shot, leaky seams, frame rusted through, floor soft and punky, axle shot, electrical systems, fuses and your inverter, plumbing and water pump, and propane lines and appliances. Old refrigerators can live almost forever both on electricity and propane, old ovens and burners ditto IF they were kept CLEAN (boiled over then left alone for 10 years equals RUST!), old furnaces and water heaters scare the poo out of me... they aren't as heavy duty as home models, if they are used it's only a matter of time before they get metal fatigue, leaks or cracks. I fulltime and plan to replace my water heater at 5 years regardless of how it looks. Those are two appliances which will kill you and/or burn your trailer to the ground. Restoring them to maintain historical accuracy - uh... it's a trailer, not the White House! Air Conditioners seem to cough and die at about 10 years, though many last longer.

You're lucky to be in Ohio - Lots of members there. If you check the "rally" section of this site, you'll find lots of opportunities to meet other Airstreamers and those who have been through what you're doing will be delighted to sit around and tell you their experiences - especially the "if I knew then what I know now" stories that will really save you time and money. (Hell their stories convinced me to buy new!). There is also the WBCCI Wally Byam Caravan Club International - which depending on the unit - may introduce you to a lot of people who will help you learn about your stream.

Welcome to the shiny side!

Paula
__________________
Today is a gift, that's why they call it the present.
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 02:09 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member
 
1960 24' Tradewind
Fairfield , Ohio
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
OK, I am not a restorer, but I've read these forums a lot. Use your SEARCH function. Look for threads such as "Frame off restoration" or "the full monte" for major floor up rebuilds. California built Airstreams vary in some details from those that come from Jackson Center Ohio... but in the end they are hand built and older ones often have had prior modifications - some good, others not so much. You find what you find.

BTW "Inland Andy" is a vendor who has LOTS of parts for vintage Airstreams. They do a great job of really having the right thing - not something you have to modify six times and "fit" with a sledge hammer. He did give you VERY good advice about getting it water tight first. I'll add this advice - read and research a lot. Make lists of tasks to be done and figure out which come first, which are absolute necessities and which are nice to have.

Big issues - gaskets around windows, door, vents shot, leaky seams, frame rusted through, floor soft and punky, axle shot, electrical systems, fuses and your inverter, plumbing and water pump, and propane lines and appliances. Old refrigerators can live almost forever both on electricity and propane, old ovens and burners ditto IF they were kept CLEAN (boiled over then left alone for 10 years equals RUST!), old furnaces and water heaters scare the poo out of me... they aren't as heavy duty as home models, if they are used it's only a matter of time before they get metal fatigue, leaks or cracks. I fulltime and plan to replace my water heater at 5 years regardless of how it looks. Those are two appliances which will kill you and/or burn your trailer to the ground. Restoring them to maintain historical accuracy - uh... it's a trailer, not the White House! Air Conditioners seem to cough and die at about 10 years, though many last longer.

You're lucky to be in Ohio - Lots of members there. If you check the "rally" section of this site, you'll find lots of opportunities to meet other Airstreamers and those who have been through what you're doing will be delighted to sit around and tell you their experiences - especially the "if I knew then what I know now" stories that will really save you time and money. (Hell their stories convinced me to buy new!). There is also the WBCCI Wally Byam Caravan Club International - which depending on the unit - may introduce you to a lot of people who will help you learn about your stream.

Welcome to the shiny side!

Paula
Thanks Paula. I think I found my biggest problem with the floor. The elements seem to have come in via the refrigerator vent, along with a squirrel. It was not very happy to have me removing his refrig! Everything else seems tight. What are your thoughts of just going with an electric fridge only? Lots cheaper and the LP scares me.

Dave
__________________
WcfdPiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 02:48 PM   #8
Rivet Master
 
funkill's Avatar

 
1973 27' Overlander
reno , NV
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,447
Images: 27
as far as searching ....

You won't believe how much info you'll find on this site. However, some of it is rightly hard to find. I now use google search function exclusively to do my searching since I can't find a better way on the forum directly. The format I use is to type the topic followed by a space and then "site:www.airforums.com"

For example, want some info on the furnace, search as:
tradewind furnace site:www.airforums.com

It's saved me sooooooo much time. I've seen some folks offer copies of their owners manuals - or sometimes they'll post portions that are of particular interest.

Also, I use the airforums search for photos... go to gallery and then whatever --- I love searching on curtains or flooring in that part!

This is a cool community - welcome and post some pics of your new find!

laura
__________________
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 03:07 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member
 
1963 24' Tradewind
San Diego , California
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by WcfdPiper View Post
What are your thoughts of just going with an electric fridge only? Lots cheaper and the LP scares me.

Dave
If you camp where there are no hookups, an electric only fridge is useless. Propane when hooked up correct is just fine. Alert detectors are a must.
Also congrats on the 60 TW
__________________
Sixty3TW4US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 03:42 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member
 
1960 24' Tradewind
Fairfield , Ohio
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkill View Post
You won't believe how much info you'll find on this site. However, some of it is rightly hard to find. I now use google search function exclusively to do my searching since I can't find a better way on the forum directly. The format I use is to type the topic followed by a space and then "site:www.airforums.com"

For example, want some info on the furnace, search as:
tradewind furnace site:www.airforums.com

It's saved me sooooooo much time. I've seen some folks offer copies of their owners manuals - or sometimes they'll post portions that are of particular interest.

Also, I use the airforums search for photos... go to gallery and then whatever --- I love searching on curtains or flooring in that part!

This is a cool community - welcome and post some pics of your new find!

laura
Thanks. I'll try that. I appreciate the help.

Dave
__________________
WcfdPiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 03:55 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member
 
1960 24' Tradewind
Fairfield , Ohio
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixty3TW4US View Post
If you camp where there are no hookups, an electric only fridge is useless. Propane when hooked up correct is just fine. Alert detectors are a must.
Also congrats on the 60 TW
I was wondering how long the fridge lasts on a tank of LP? There is a huge price difference and I have the original LP system. I think I'm going to have to replace at least the regulators and some of the lines. I need to test the system to see about leaks. I'm still learning about these things.

Dave
__________________
WcfdPiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 03:56 PM   #12
Rivet Master
 
loudruff's Avatar
 
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 2,242
Images: 5
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
Welcome fellow Ohioan!

We are glad you found the spot. You will be too. This is a great spot to chat with others that know ASs so well.
We are still working on ours and this is a resource that is very valuable.
We have a thread on this forums about where some of us are gathering during the weekends for rallies and mini-rallies and just plain ol' camping. A few join in and we have lots of fun helping each other, showing off what we have done, and just sitting around the ol' campfire. Here is the thread that atobols started for us for this current '09 year. http://www.airforums.com/forums/f290...g-50587-3.html
A few of us are gathering at Findley SP this weekend. SW of the Cleveland area. And if you read backwards and forwards you will find some other dates around Ohio where other forums members will be camping. Look for one near you and come visit!
Where is Fairfield?
Lou and Larry
La Grange, OH
__________________
Larry and Lou
CP: Water/30 amp/waste dump/WIFI & Room for 2-3 units; PM us if you are headed our direction!
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member


loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 07:40 PM   #13
Rivet Master
 
Journalist's Avatar
 
1969 25' Tradewind
Irmo , South Carolina
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 744
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
I fulltime and plan to replace my water heater at 5 years regardless of how it looks.
Every five years when you pull your perfectly good water heater out, can I have it? Mine turned 40 this year, so it could probably use an update.
__________________
AIR #8891
Unrestored 1969 25' Tradewind
Overkill Tow Vehicle of the Year Award:
2001 GMC 3500 4x4 Dually 6.6L Duramax
Journalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 07:55 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member
 
1960 24' Tradewind
Fairfield , Ohio
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 36
Fairfield is about 15 to 20 minutes North of Cincinnati. It is just south of Hamilton. Nice neighborhoods. I can't make this weekends rally, but I'm working hard to get this monster of a project ready to do some trips this summer! The wife isn't big on camping. I'm hoping she'll give this a chance!

Any advise is always appreciated!
Thanks,
Dave
__________________

__________________
WcfdPiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.