Old 08-18-2011, 10:07 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
Plymouth Meeting , Pennsylvania
Originally Posted by Et Cetera View Post
Greetings All,
I have been lurking about this site for a while trying to broaden my knowledge base before actually taking the plunge by purchasing my first AS...
...I must admit I’m puzzled and feeling apprehensive of making this sizable investment by the following...
I couldn't have written it any better myself. Water problems, leaking problems, rivet problems, window problems, wiring problems, "would never buy a new one", workmanship is poor, etc etc. Throw in Airstream's seeming reluctance to update parts of its product, floor, windows, etc. gives one pause. Other than floor plans, it's website fails to provide any real hard information. I read some reports of Airstreams indifference to its owners as well.

I love the design for a long time and all that goes with it, but I'd prefer it to be a labor of love rather than just labor. I'm still a couple years away, but I confess I'm beginning to wonder if an Airstream is a wise choice.

Intrepid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 10:15 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1991 35' Airstream 350
Siloam Springs , Arkansas
Buying something else may be for you. We have purchased 3 new fivers. We looked at AS, and are completely happy with ours.

Jeff & Cindy
Hunter RIP

'09 27FB Flying Cloud
'91 350 LE MH
jdalrymple is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 10:31 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member
1972 21' Globetrotter
nc , North Carolina
all i can say is , go with a avion, if you can find one. you don't see many for sale because they hold on to them. nice 83 here at robert handys rv sales wilkesboro nc.
rock60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 11:40 AM   #18
Rivet Master
2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
I joined a general RV forum before buying the AS soliciting advice (most owned SOBs) and 90% said to go with the Airstream.

I found the AS forum while in the midst of purchasing my trailer. I did not read it extensively because I was enjoying the experience and did not want to be diverted from that.

Being a neophyte, I decided to buy one new (with the extended warranty). The dealership I bought mine from carries all makes and models of RVs, but tend to pamper their Airstream customers. I found some comfort in that. They also carry the Earthbound trailers which is Airstream's closest competitor. Get onto the Earthbound site, and you'll find many bitterly disappointed owners there. The Earthbound trailers aren't that much cheaper and do not have the cachet of the Airstream.

Some Airstreamers with older trailers seem to be pretty smug about the quality of their trailer and expound "Do not buy new!" (I sometimes wonder if they secretly long for a new Air Stream but cannot afford one - don't kick me! lol!) Besides that, if no one bought new, the Airstream world would eventually become extinct. Besides that, I did not want to buy a trailer where everything has been touched, used, and abused by others. There is something magical about being the first one to sleep in the bed, use the shower, sit at the table and eat a meal etc. It was the ultimate reward.

My trailer is parked beside my house (live on property) and has become more of an escape pod vs. travel trailer. I sleep, read, do some of my work there.
But I am looking forward to the first shake-down cruise next month.

I've had some minor issues with my trailer, but the dealer has rectified them.

I mentiond "cachet" - that is something that the Airstream has cornered the market on. It seems Airstreams are their own travelling road show - garnering admiring glances, knocks on the door while camping from those wanting to look at the trailer etc. I can't attest to this personally until I hit the road next month, but am curious about this.

In closing, do I regret buying the AS? Absolutely not. I think of it as a good investment beyond the fiscal. An investment in new adventures which will pan out physically, emotionally, and spiritually. I do not want to be one of those old folks drinking coffee at the mall while wondering, "What was the point?"

How many Airstream owners ask themselves that question? It's my observation
that those numbers are few.
easily distracted by shiny objects
Fly at Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 11:56 AM   #19
Rivet Master
1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
Well put. Airstreaming and/or rv lifestyle, travel, camping are not for everyone. Some folks are content to be sitting at the mall drinking coffee and wondering where their lives went. But some of us aren't.
AirsDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 12:26 PM   #20
Rivet Master
1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Originally Posted by AirsDream View Post
Well put. Airstreaming and/or rv lifestyle, travel, camping are not for everyone. Some folks are content to be sitting at the mall drinking coffee and wondering where their lives went. But some of us aren't.
Well said, AirsDream. We have a '77' Minuet. I spend a few bucks and hours every winter on it but we sure enjoy the weekends we use it. By the time everything is perfect it may be time to start over again, oh well. Would I buy new, you bet, in a heartbeat. They have one with a corner galley in the back. Like that one a lot.
Royce (K0RKK) 146.460 simplex
Web page
AIR# 3913
'77' Minuet 6 Metre, behind a 2005 stock Jeep Rubicon with Equa-L-Zer hitch.
Royce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 12:44 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member
1988 35' Argosy 5th Wheel
Cumming , Georgia
Seems like the first question you need to answer is do you want to go Rv-ing? If the answer is "Yes", then the Airstream is probably your top-quality best choice.

Before purchasing our 1988 Argosy (by AirStream) 5th wheel, we owned (and still do) a 1990-something Sportsmen 30'. We loved going camping in it and were devastated to find leaks and rot under the skin. The rotting was so bad that it hasn't moved in over 5 years. Inside, the floor, rug and furnishings are barely used, but the shell and body is garbage. My husband swore he would never own another wooden framed trailer again. True to his word, our horse trailer is all aluminum (in that-even the floor) and now we have the Argosy. Even though there were multiple leaks in the Argosy's roof, it was very solid. We replaced the ceiling and it's looking great.

If you really want to travel in an RV, I think the AS is a no-brainer!
Djmclean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 04:58 PM   #22
Rivet Master
Currently Looking...
Corpus Christi , Texas
Originally Posted by Fly at Night View Post

Some Airstreamers with older trailers seem to be pretty smug about the quality of their trailer and expound "Do not buy new!" (I sometimes wonder if they secretly long for a new Air Stream but cannot afford one - don't kick me! lol!) .
Hey!!!! Yes.
Chuck & Skye
Rock and Roll Will Never Die!

WBCCI 3805
AIR 54011 Since July 2011
casa3805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 04:58 PM   #23
Chief Chili Cook
2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
This wood floor thing really takes a beating. Most RV's all the way up to the million dollar monsters, still have wood subfloors. They are reliable, inexpensive, and easy to work with. Is the new, no rot, no VOC, no glue, materials the way to go? PROBABLY. Airstream's way of adopting these things is slow and I think that is a good thing (most of the time). No changes, only improvements. Sometimes the New-New Thing seems obviously better. Sometimes it turns out to have unintended, disastrous consequences. If these new materials show they can hold up to real world usage, they'll make their way into the Airstream production line.

Earthbound can afford to experiment on its customers. They have no market share, no brand legacy, no loyal customer base, NOTHING TO LOSE. If those trailers start falling apart and the company is crushed by a class action lawsuit, they'll fold, leaving everyone with no warranty, no parts, no dealers. You can bet the principle investors will spring up with the next New-New Thing a year later.

The great thing about an Airstream is that if you want to get out of it and into something else, it'll have a much better resell value than anything else. I actually sold my 2007 25FB CCD for a few grand more than I paid for it just 18 months before (bought it used). We had over 60 nights of great fun and we learned what we wanted different in our next one.

Go to a vintage trailer rally. I've seen hundreds of vintage trailers, and it's not uncommon for one to have an original floor that is 50 years old. And the others are usually rescues and the current owner rebuilt with wood again.

newroswell is offline   Reply With Quote