Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-30-2005, 06:08 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Plant City , Florida
New & looking for a Rally?

First a little about me...

I've been a hiker and car camper for many years. Now with a family I've started thinking about a plusher environment while traveling. Really know very little about travel trailers. I like the concept and looks of Airstreams. This matches my love of classic aircraft. I would be interested in an older trailer, say early to mid 60's. The thought of a restore doesn't scare me, good with tools and have acres in the country (an Airstream in the yard would match the pickup on blocks ).

My question: are there Airstream rallies/events in my area that I could go to and get a good/close look at vintage trailers? I'm willing to drive 250 miles or so (one way). Live near Tampa, Fl.

Thanks,

Mike
subagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 07:28 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Rallies

Three vintage rallies are in Florida this winter:

1. Tin Can Tourists Winter Convention at Sunset RV Park, Cedar Key, Florida; January 26-29, 2006
Contact Denise Bierworth at Sunset@cedarkeyrv.com or at 352-543-5375 to reserve your site. We need fifty reservations to reserve the entire park.

Cedar Keys - Winter Meet

In Friday, June 24th, Life Magazine there was an article about 10 perfect escapes and Cedar Keys was one of them. I tried to find a link to the article, but Life doesn't have the stories on-line. This is some of what the article said about Cedar Key:

"BEST PLACE TO PASS ISLAND TIME". This weather-beaten hideout 3 miles off the northwestern coast of Florida looks like Key West in Hemingway's heyday: a hodgepodge of salt-encrusted homes and inns that borders 2 nature preserves. Visitors can eat, read, sit (or snooze) on the pier off Dock Street, venture out on a bird watching expedition, or knock back cocktails at the Frog's Landing Restaurant beside the fishermen, clammers, and artists who compose most of the population of 1,000.

2. TCT WINTER SHOW, Flywheeler's’ Park, Avon park Florida, February 22-26, 2006

Registration must be made 30 days prior to the show (Contact Forrest and Jeri at 941-748-1483 winter or Duke and Fay Waldrop at 863-297-9697

3. WBCCI Florida State Rally in Sarasota also on Feb 22-26. The vintage Airstream park in front of rally site and have an Open House on Saturday Feb 25th.

Tin Can Tourists are a vintage trailer club with a number of Airstreams but not limted exclusively to Airstreams.

see http://www.tincantourists.com/phpBB2/index.php
bjond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 09:13 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Plant City , Florida
Wow that was fast! Thanks for the info.

Mike
subagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 10:26 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Airstream people

About 30 miles north of Tampa is a mostly Airstream campground called Traveler Rest. It is by Dade City. On Johnson Road just off the expressway. They have about 300 acres and parking for about 600 Trailers. It was exclusively WBCCI at first but then became just Airstream and now they have a number of other brands in there. Stop by, everybody is very friendly. You can see lots of different models and years. There is always some units for sale posted on the board. People eventually get old or die and then the units come up. The park accepts short term parkers but it is mostly people coming down for the winter. They have a website so you could try Googling it.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 06:27 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Can't wait to go to the event in Cedar Key! Thanks for posting that info Jbond! I am only an hour from there!
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 01:33 PM   #6
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pick
Can't wait to go to the event in Cedar Key! Thanks for posting that info Jbond! I am only an hour from there!
We will be having a unit rally there in March, the weekend of the 11th, should be a good time. Come on down and join us! PM me for more info or if you wish to attend.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote