Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-19-2011, 10:55 AM   #21
1 Rivet Member

1994 21' Sovereign
Vancouver , British Columbia
Thanks to LomedIvrit, I found the answer to my question. We are super excited to join the Airstream community , you guys have been very welcoming and very helpful! See you all on the road!
trailrunnerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 12:38 AM   #22
1 Rivet Member

North Vancouver , British Columbia
Zedex has it spot on. I talked to David at Co-Operators today (They have a branch in Lower Lonsdale on the North Shore). He has it all down. Get the VIN, get the 'Binder' with the coverage - options for amount of liablilty, collision waiver etc.
We are off to the US tomorrow to hopefully close the deal on one. We get a permit from the State it's registered in and the two bits of paperwork go hand in hand for the trip back. Once we hit the boarder we pay HST and get a Form. We then need to get a BC Inspection done (Canadian Tire do them) and then we or maybe they send the inspection form to ICBC.....
I'll report back with a summary of whether it really is that easy!!
Cheers, Paul.
BlueBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 03:15 PM   #23
1 Rivet Member

1994 21' Sovereign
Good to know! Last Autoplan office we went to didn't have a clue! Let me know how your deal and border crossing goes!
Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBaron View Post
Zedex has it spot on. I talked to David at Co-Operators today (They have a branch in Lower Lonsdale on the North Shore). He has it all down. Get the VIN, get the 'Binder' with the coverage - options for amount of liablilty, collision waiver etc.
We are off to the US tomorrow to hopefully close the deal on one. We get a permit from the State it's registered in and the two bits of paperwork go hand in hand for the trip back. Once we hit the boarder we pay HST and get a Form. We then need to get a BC Inspection done (Canadian Tire do them) and then we or maybe they send the inspection form to ICBC.....
I'll report back with a summary of whether it really is that easy!!
Cheers, Paul.
Old 04-02-2011, 09:51 PM   #24
steel/aluminum fabricator

2004 22' International CCD
Penticton , British Columbia
Have fun. It is that easy. Just make sure all your ducks are in a row and it will be a smooth trip. Importing a german sports car is more difficult and nerve wracking but if your into that kind of thing pm me and i will help ya out.

PS. Make sure you have a bill of sale at customs,because they will ask what you paid,and having documented discussion(printed emails,faxes,etc) of purchase price and payment negotiation will also help things run very smoothly at customs.
zedex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 10:01 PM   #25

Once the trailer is into Canada sitting in your driveway, you fill out a form at RIV.ca. online. RIV will look it over, they will fax or email documentation back hopefully within 24 hours to you, you print that off and then you get trailer inspected at crappy tire.They will require the form from RIV to inspect.
Crappy tire will have a quick look see and charge you i think $50. Then you can insure your trailer. Then.. In about a week you will recieve a decal from RIV with trailer info on it which you paste on the drivers front of AS just in case you take the trailer into the US to camp. You need this decal BTW.
Old 04-03-2011, 11:11 AM   #26
1 Rivet Member

1994 21' Sovereign
Do I need the RIV stuff if the trailer is more than 15 years old? Didn't think so...
Old 04-03-2011, 12:00 PM   #27

I dont think so. I dont know how you would get it inspected though without form 2 from RIV. I guess when you go insure it you will find out about inspection. I still think you may need to go through RIV for the decal that states the trailer is now Canadian and was registered. In Canada this does not matter but when travelling back into the States customs may question the trailer. That is why the decal goes on the drivers front ,that way customs can look at it when you go through.
RIV will enlighten you. They are actually great to talk to and are friendly and helpfull unlike anything government related in Canada.