Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-29-2008, 05:29 PM   #1

2005 25' Safari
Georgetown , Texas
Cool New Airstreamers - old sailors.

My wife and I just sold our sail boat - a Cheoy Lee 48 - we sailed for the last six years in the British Virgin Islands and bought our first Airstream - a 2005 Safari SS 25. Our inaugural trip was this Xmas when we spent a week at La Jitas down at Big Bend National Park. Great fun...

We are looking forward to our first rally next week in Houston. Maybe we'll see you on the backroads of Texas.

Two Red Raiders in Georgetown.
robmarholt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 05:34 PM   #2
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by robmarholt
My wife and I just sold our sail boat - a Cheoy Lee 48 - we sailed for the last six years in the British Virgin Islands and bought our first Airstream - a 2005 Safari SS 25. Our inaugural trip was this Xmas when we spent a week at La Jitas down at Big Bend National Park. Great fun...

We are looking forward to our first rally next week in Houston. Maybe we'll see you on the backroads of Texas.

Hi and welcome to the forums. Those Cheoy Lee's are gorgeous boats...how are you enjoying the downsizing

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 05:35 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Welcome Red Raiders!

Lots of "old sailors" and pilots here.... you will find references now and then to sailing terms or flying terms. We are "old sailors" as well. Our sailboat wasn't nearly as spacious as yours... we had a 30 ft. Ericson. Kept it in Monterey Bay for many years, only sailed locally and up to San Francisco but loved every minute (well, almost... I could have done without a few of the really scary weather times...).

I must say Airstreaming has a lot of the same good things. Different scenery, but you also meet great folks and have exciting and memorable adventures! As we have aged, we find trailering a little less taxing on our senior bodies...

Enjoy your Airstream...post pictures of your 'stream and your adventures!

Mrs. NorCal Bambi traveling in S Tardis ~ from the Great State of Jefferson
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 06:30 PM   #4
Renee

1964 24' Tradewind
Portage , Michigan
Welcome!

Yes, Welcome!!!

We're glad to have you with us, you'll love your airstream and all the new friends you'll meet because of it. Ask lots of questions, you'll be amazed at the wealth of knowledge of our members.

Ditto what Caddygrn said as to our member base.....while I don't think of myself as "old" just yet; and I'm even embarrassed to say what type of sailboats I own next to what you and Caddygrn once owned, I am a crew member aboard a replica 1812 tall ship here in the great lakes. Oh, and I'm a marketing director at an aviation museum. I'm still not sure how I got to be so lucky!!!!

Cheers!
"20 years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."

Operation "Save Rudy" Strike Team (honorary member)
Felix'64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 06:33 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Bertram , Texas
Hey there neighbor! Alas I left a 24 Rainbow in Valejo CA. Small but fast. Mostly I've just kicked around in an old stinkpot...aluminum at that. Only difference between my old boat and my old AirStream was where the water comes in. I still have to bail...but making progress Must admit, my cruising was limited to no further than 24 gallons of gas could take me.

Welcome aboard!
rob n terry
Old 01-29-2008, 07:12 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Just not so many bollards to tie off to, and its hard to lash a windsurfer on the deck.
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 08:43 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

Central Florida , Florida
Welcome Robmarholt.

We are also old sailors. Catalina 30 on Casco Bay Maine; great sailing area.

Currently landlocked in Illinois. We love the Airstream (Classic 30) because it has more of a feeling of a sailboat in the interior compared to any other RV we looked at. Like a sailboat it has an efficient interior. Powerboats just didn't have the same feeling as a sailboat. We feel the same way about Airstreams versus other RV's. Airstreamers are great people and have a common bond.

Again welcome aboard.

2008 Classic 34
Dodge Ram 2500 Crew Cab CTD
Air Apparent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 08:57 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2006 16' International CCD
Nashville , Tennessee
I moved from a Grand Banks 42 Europa to an Airstream Bambi 16 CCD. Am loving the life.
DC
Don Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 09:00 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
holland , Michigan
Welcome aboard. On the second half of 10k tour and in malibu at time of writing. All of our towing is in the winter,as we live in Holland Michigan and still into boating. Our friends have a Cheoy Lee but motorized. New and over 50 ft. Just beautiful and takes lake michigan on in MOST weather.

I travel and work over 15k/year in the Airstream. Always a challenge and beats motels anytime. Good Luck.
safari 28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 09:01 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by robmarholt

Glad to have you aboard. I still own a sail boat, thanks to Katrina I am now rebuilding her. We own an 25 Safari SS and love it. Good thing about trailers they are not so weather dependent. If the weather is bad go inside and read a good book. The systems on the trailer are much simpler and a flat tire is not nearly as bad as a hole in the hull. No matter how expensive the repairs are they will never approach the price the pirates at the ship yards demand. One good thing you will not have to worry about leveling your trailer as you will never notice a little incline after 6 years on a sail boat. We have met so many nice people here on the forum and at rallies, very friendly group. You will also find out that some of the best cooks like to show off their best work at the pot luck gatherings. Hope to see you at a rally, check out the threads for the Can Opener Rally, only 11 months away.

Jm
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 11:20 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
robmarholt, I too wish to welcome you to our great forums! Loads of information and friendly folks here. Hope to see you down the road. Happy Trails, Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 05:38 AM   #12
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
I still sail, well, race more than cruise in a Ben 36.7

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 07:32 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
rio rico , Arizona
Welcome to the Forum!! We lived aboard a Passport 37 for 13 years, cruising 10 of those years... over 50,000 blue water miles under her keel. Living in Southern AZ. now in our 25 Safari FB while building the "last house"!
Enjoy your new "land yacht" and the forum.

Cheers, Jeff
Equal-i-zer hitch
"Home is where the ART is"
claybags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 07:39 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1985 25' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Valley Center , California
Welcome to the forum!!!

We sold our stinkpot and gave our slip back to the yacht club to join in on the fun.

Chris
Escondido, CA
BogieGolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 07:51 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
I guess I shouldn't be amazed at the amount of sailors on this site. After all, with 25,000 members, we are bound to have quite a few!

I'm currently living on the great advice given to me that "the best boat is somebodies elses!" I got rid of my Skiffcraft Sportfisherman shortly after aquiring my airstream. I really couldn't afford the dockage and additional expenses.

I still have my Hobie Cat! Hopefully it will see water this year.

My son Drew is actively crewing for a custom race boat on Lake Erie. They took club championship last year.

I still get amazed at the affordibility of the RV world. If some of the parts I've bought said "boat" on them, they would cost ten times as much.....
Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

www.campnova.com

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 08:36 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
Welcome, our last sailboat was a Cape Dory 28'. Our new land sailer has a bit more room.
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 11:50 AM   #17
1 Rivet Member

austin , Texas
Smile Sailboats and Airstreams,What A Life!

Hello, and welcome! I have a Pearson Triton, Pearson Electra, Capri Cyclone.I am here in Austin, mabey we can get together sometime, i'm shure you have some great stories! I am currently looking for a 6M Minuet TT. Hope you have a great trip to Houston, it would be great to hear from you sometime! Robert. Red Rover
Red Rover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 02:20 PM   #18
WBCCI 11067 WDCU

1986 25' Sovereign
Atlanta , Georgia
amazing

I am also amazed at how many sailors there are on this forum. I think there is a natural attraction for sailors to buy an airstream. If you have ever been to sea you learn real quick the value of a sea worthy yacht and the same holds true for land transportation.

My time was spent mostly on J24s and J30s and several ultra lites 37+ feet. Whenever I am in my Airstream I always think about how much space there is...relatively. I guess the lack of motion also helps.

Anyways welcome to the forum and enjoy.
2007 Chevy Silverado 1500
2007 Toyota Land Cruiser
ckeysor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 07:20 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
I'm a landlubber - but I won't hold that against you.

Nice to have you here on the forums, Welcome!
Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 09:27 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

1971 25' Caravanner
scappoose , Oregon
Welcom to the forums;I'am sure you'll find "land yachting" just as much fun, only in a different way, not having to wear "foul weather" gear, at least not as much. I too am a sailer, 35ft. cutter, that I still live aboard on. Try to have it both ways, a sailboat, and an AS that I'am working on......work on boat too, oh well.
rangebowdrie is offline   Reply With Quote