Old 01-30-2008, 07:51 AM   #15
Rivet Master
1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
I guess I shouldn't be amazed at the amount of sailors on this site. After all, with 25,000 members, we are bound to have quite a few!

I'm currently living on the great advice given to me that "the best boat is somebodies elses!" I got rid of my Skiffcraft Sportfisherman shortly after aquiring my airstream. I really couldn't afford the dockage and additional expenses.

I still have my Hobie Cat! Hopefully it will see water this year.

My son Drew is actively crewing for a custom race boat on Lake Erie. They took club championship last year.

I still get amazed at the affordibility of the RV world. If some of the parts I've bought said "boat" on them, they would cost ten times as much.....

Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 08:36 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
Welcome, our last sailboat was a Cape Dory 28'. Our new land sailer has a bit more room.

Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 11:50 AM   #17
1 Rivet Member
austin , Texas
Smile Sailboats and Airstreams,What A Life!

Hello, and welcome! I have a Pearson Triton, Pearson Electra, Capri Cyclone.I am here in Austin, mabey we can get together sometime, i'm shure you have some great stories! I am currently looking for a 6M Minuet TT. Hope you have a great trip to Houston, it would be great to hear from you sometime! Robert. Red Rover
Red Rover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 02:20 PM   #18
1986 25' Sovereign
Atlanta , Georgia

I am also amazed at how many sailors there are on this forum. I think there is a natural attraction for sailors to buy an airstream. If you have ever been to sea you learn real quick the value of a sea worthy yacht and the same holds true for land transportation.

My time was spent mostly on J24s and J30s and several ultra lites 37+ feet. Whenever I am in my Airstream I always think about how much space there is...relatively. I guess the lack of motion also helps.

Anyways welcome to the forum and enjoy.
Chris Keysor
WBCCI 11067
1986 Sovereign 25' CB
2007 Chevy Silverado 1500
2007 Toyota Land Cruiser
ckeysor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 07:20 PM   #19
Rivet Master
2000 25' Safari
West of Fort Worth , Texas
I'm a landlubber - but I won't hold that against you.

Nice to have you here on the forums, Welcome!
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 09:27 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member
1971 25' Caravanner
scappoose , Oregon
Welcom to the forums;I'am sure you'll find "land yachting" just as much fun, only in a different way, not having to wear "foul weather" gear, at least not as much. I too am a sailer, 35ft. cutter, that I still live aboard on. Try to have it both ways, a sailboat, and an AS that I'am working on boat too, oh well.
rangebowdrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 06:05 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member
2008 25' International CCD
St. Pete Beach , Florida
Hi and welcome aboard. We were also sailors...and powerboaters. We just got our 25 FB Int'l in December and are, like you, new to the AS/ RVing world. We've had 13 different boats in the last 20 years. We've had flats boats and center consoles. Catamarans and speed boats. We had a 41' Morgan Out Island that was just the most fun. We still have a "party pontoon" and live on the Gulf in Florida. We are really excited about the adventures that await in the "stream". We find there are a lot of simularities between boats and our AS and having the previous experience of traveling on a boat really helps. Nice to hear from you.
salvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 06:22 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Ahoy Yawl

I've done a fair amount of sailing, but in small boats. Currently have a 17' cat and sail with a Hobie fleet in NM. Hitch the cat behind my streamer and I am my own parade.

NM has the highest per capita number of pleasure boats in the US.

Landlubber: Old redition of land lover. Derogatory slang for persons unfamiliar with boats and uncomfortable around them. Modern brain research has indicated that the speech defect which leads individuals to substitute b for v may be a symptom of a hitherto unrecognized form of brain damage associated with inner ear dislocations caused by long periods of pitching, rolling, rocking and swaying.
Sail on silver girl. Sail on by. Your time has come to shine.
Lumatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 07:15 PM   #23
Bambi Hunter
1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Los Angeles , California
Here is to welcoming a fellow seaman to the AS Forum. As you see from the variety of posts, there are all kinds of interesting people to meet and share good times. Current time restraints make it very difficult for me to sail these days. However, I drive along the coast each morning and evening, and the wonderlust is still there. I've thought about working w/ the Coast Guard Aux again to release the need to sail in my system. Again, I hope to find the time in the near future.

I agree that the selection of boat and RV tells a lot about the individual. I've always been infatutated with the Choey Lee. I view her as a finely crafted mistress who demands more attention than a deserving wife.

The AS rallies (and not really rally rallies) that we've attended in So. Cal. have been extraordinary. I hope that you and your family have the same (or better) good fortune with your AS adventures as we have had and continue to experience.

If our paths cross, the first drink is on me.

Tim Can is offline   Reply With Quote