Old 12-31-2008, 10:31 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1986 31' Sovereign
Elkhorn , Nebraska
New Airstreamer ... where to start.

We have just purchased our first Airstream, a nice 1986 31ft Sovereign with twin beds/ center bath. The trailer is in good condition and everything is in good working order. We would like to replace carpet and curtains and possibly cabinets down the road. Any advice on flooring or Curtains? I was thinking of doing both myself.

Old 12-31-2008, 10:48 AM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Welcome from the Florida Panhandle

Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

Use the search function on the upper blue tool bar to find a lot of info on those topics. If you can't find exactly what you're looking for, just ask away.

WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 11:11 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1986 31' Sovereign
Elkhorn , Nebraska
Florida Panhandle

I'm originally from Pensacola.
Old 12-31-2008, 11:43 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1998 28' Excella
Dolores , Colorado
Hello Elkhorn, Ne.
Glad to have you with us. I hail from NE Colorado (Sterling) and have family in Western, Ne. We installed a floating floor in our unit last year. It kind of resembles slate. We picked it up at Home Depot. We were torn between having a carpet company replace it and after getting the run around from the carpet store we went with the laminant and I installed it. We kept the carpet in the living area and bedroom but the laminant went in the Kitchen and bath area.
If you have any problems with your A/S the forum is the place to get information.
Happy New Year
AIR # 28748

"Life is an adventure, live it to the fullest".
Old 12-31-2008, 12:06 PM   #5

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by b8sfamily View Post
I'm originally from Pensacola.

We're about 50 miles east of Pensacola in Walton County.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 04:35 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Welcome!

Quote:
We have just purchased our first Airstream, a nice 1986 31ft Sovereign with twin beds/ center bath. The trailer is in good condition and everything is in good working order. We would like to replace carpet and curtains and possibly cabinets down the road. Any advice on flooring or Curtains? I was thinking of doing both myself.
Say, look at the Can Opener Rally - it might be a great place to visit and meet other Airstreamers, many of whom have older units. All of whom will want to tour your unit and show you how to look for potential problems.

In any Airstream restoration/upgrade it's always best to learn from those who have gone before you! Your unit is PROBABLY too new to have some of the serious issues that older units have, but inspecting to determine that you don't have a rusted frame, or hidden damage due to leaks (floor rot) etc. is very important. There is nothing worse than doing a cosmetic upgrade, then having to tear it out six months later because there was an underlying problem that needed attention but you missed it.

Many an Airstreamer has had a leak around the toilet seal, or a pipe that has a pinhole leak, etc.

We all hope you'll be very happy 'streaming, and there are SO many great ideas for snazzing up your unit that a little reading and visiting should be done before you start. (Of course you could search for Pamela Anderson's airstream if you want some truly "unique" decor ideas.)

Paula
Old 12-31-2008, 05:03 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Hello to a fellow 1986 Sovereign owner! We purchased ours 2 summers ago. I replaced the carpet, but installed new carpet rather than laminate due to our use of the trailer in the winter. When the carpet was removed, I found four big rotten spots in the floor. Hopefully, you won't have that problem! I resealed everything on the trailer & I'm happy to say it's waterproof (for now!). I had the couch reupholstered & new curtains made (by Silverthreads of this forum). Have refloored the bathroom & installed a new toilet. Cabinets are in really good shape, so they'll stay! Hope you have a good time with your projects! Maybe you won't have too many! We really like the trailer & it's roominess. Hope you will too!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 08:24 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1993 34' Limited
Melbourne Florida , Springfield Ohio
Welcome to the forum. You will find all the answers to all your questions. Take Care.
Old 12-31-2008, 08:41 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1986 31' Sovereign
Elkhorn , Nebraska
Smile Fellow 86 Severeign owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckybillrae View Post
Hello to a fellow 1986 Sovereign owner! We purchased ours 2 summers ago. I replaced the carpet, but installed new carpet rather than laminate due to our use of the trailer in the winter. When the carpet was removed, I found four big rotten spots in the floor. Hopefully, you won't have that problem! I resealed everything on the trailer & I'm happy to say it's waterproof (for now!). I had the couch reupholstered & new curtains made (by Silverthreads of this forum). Have refloored the bathroom & installed a new toilet. Cabinets are in really good shape, so they'll stay! Hope you have a good time with your projects! Maybe you won't have too many! We really like the trailer & it's roominess. Hope you will too!
I looked at your pictures. What a transformation after the stripping. Why did you 'strip'? Are you actually stripping the clear coat? How would you describe the project? Is 'stripping' something that should be done regularly?
Old 12-31-2008, 09:57 PM   #10
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
The first thing you should do, is make sure the trailer is water proof.

Exterior gaskets should all be replaced, like the entrance door, access compartments, opening windows, and especially the sewer vent pipe cover gaskets.

A bead of Vulkem sealer should be installed on all the glass to metal joints on all fixed windows, like the wrap or wing windows, stack and vista view windows as well.

Give the tail lights and all the clearance lights, a first class inspection as well.

Everything else should be put aside, until that task is done.

Water leaks in an Airstream, damages many things, that can be costly to repair, especially the floor. Mold can also result from those same leaks.

If your going to tow the trailer, you should make sure that the axles are ok.

You can check them out yourself, in just a few seconds.

Andy
Old 01-01-2009, 12:06 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
Yreka , California
Welcome to the forum ~ and to the great world of Airstreams!

Best advice, go out camping as soon as possible! Find out what you like and what you want to "fix"... do the safety list first, then work on the cosmetic issues as well as the decorating! It is all fun! Be sure to take in some rallies and meet other Airstreamers, you won't regret it!

Welcome!

Mrs. NorCal Bambi traveling in S Tardis ~ from the Great State of Jefferson

My blog: Yreka History
Old 01-01-2009, 09:16 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Those pictures are of my 1976 Overlander. I've got to refigure out how to post pictures in there. I have stripped the 1986 Sovereign, but not polished to a mirror finish. It looks way better than it did before stripping. I stripped the clearcoat because it was all peeling. Once you strip it, you never have to do it again. The main thing is keeping the skin coated with wax or a new type of coating. I'm experimenting with something called "Sharkhide", but that's another story. This is what the Sovereign looks like before & after stripping & light polishing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02030.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	593.9 KB
ID:	73212   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02333.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	592.6 KB
ID:	73213  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02332.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	589.0 KB
ID:	73214   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02334.JPG
Views:	62
Size:	566.1 KB
ID:	73215  

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 10:29 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1986 31' Sovereign
Elkhorn , Nebraska
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
The first thing you should do, is make sure the trailer is water proof.

Exterior gaskets should all be replaced, like the entrance door, access compartments, opening windows, and especially the sewer vent pipe cover gaskets.

A bead of Vulkem sealer should be installed on all the glass to metal joints on all fixed windows, like the wrap or wing windows, stack and vista view windows as well.

Give the tail lights and all the clearance lights, a first class inspection as well.

Everything else should be put aside, until that task is done.

Water leaks in an Airstream, damages many things, that can be costly to repair, especially the floor. Mold can also result from those same leaks.

If your going to tow the trailer, you should make sure that the axles are ok.

You can check them out yourself, in just a few seconds.

Dura Torque Axle

Andy
Andy,

Thanks for the advice. I'm excited to get to work on replacing my gaskets and checking my axles. Also, I have one dent/ crease on the front corner of my 'new' 86 Sovereign. Can dents be 'pulled' or does the skin/ panel need to be replaced?
Old 01-04-2009, 10:49 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1990 34' Excella
1964 22' Safari
Savage , Minnesota
[quote=beckybillrae;652474] I'm experimenting with something called "Sharkhide", but that's another story. quote]

I am interested to see and hear how the Sharkshide works out for you. Also, I do not want a mirror shine on my '90, but I do want to get the Oxidation off. How did the "Satin" finish hold up during polishing? It's hard to tell from photos.

'64 Safari Resoration Blog ("May"):
http://ts8501.blogspot.com/

TAC MN-6
WBCCI/VAC 11736
AIR 25979
ts8501 is offline   Reply With Quote