Old 08-01-2018, 02:39 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2018 23' International
Minneapolis , Minnesota
New Airstreamer from Minnesota

Hi.
My wife and I are in the process of purchasing a new ('18) International 23CB. We are also in the process of buying a tow vehicle.
We will probably take possession of both the Airstream and the TV around August 10-14. We are hoping to still get some nights in it before the cold Minnesota winter.
I am really looking to embrace the whole Airstream lifestyle. I think we will park it an an RV camp (probably the AS-only park here in Minnesota) for the summers and treat it like a cabin most weekends and then try to get out on one 10-14 day trip and one 7-9 day trip every summer, plus as many weekend trips throughout the fall, spring and summer as we can. I'm a big college football fan, so the idea of driving out to midwest college towns to watch games is very enticing.
My kids are 15 and 17 years old. I wish I had thought to do this sooner :-(
-John

Gopher John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 02:50 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2017 23' International
hendersonville , North Carolina
Welcome to Airstreaming

You are going to love your new 23CB. We purchased new 2017 Int. Serenity 23D (now called 23CB) last year and have used it a bunch. Take a look at the 23D thread here on Airforums. Tons of good tips and tricks, especially for Refrigerater fan mods for better cooling. Safe travels!

uraljohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 02:55 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2019 19' Flying Cloud
Renville , Minnesota
We just got back from our first overnight with our 2019 Flying Cloud 19’. Found a couple of small issues for Shorewood to deal with under warranty. Don’t let Minnesota winters stop you from enjoying your new purchase. We intend to pull ours south for part of the winter.
Old 08-01-2018, 04:37 PM   #4
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
John - congrats on the new coach and TV. Welcome to the forum. Plan your AS inspection and walk through well. A checklist helps and ask all the questions you have about issues you identify in your research.

Watch all the videos. Colonial has a bunch. General RV videos help too.

Be ready for the seal and extended warranty question you will get when you sit down to sign the transfer papers at pickup.

Spend some time on the condition of the battery bank. Lots of folks get their coach delivered with wounded wet cells. A wet cell should not be allowed to go below 12.2 volts. Note, the parasitic load while stored can pull down the bank if not isolated with a disconnect switch or maintained with a periodic charge. Being in the AS RV park, you should be able to keep it charged.

The better you prep, the better your adventure will be.

Now to the important stuff ....... tell us all the great places to visit when we get to Minnesota. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 04:59 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
2007 25' Safari FB SE
Jonesboro , Arkansas
John, congratulations on the new Airstream! I bet you and your family love it. My oldest daughter is 29 and my youngest is 22 and they still love going with us on Airstream trips. I still take a father daughter trip with each of them almost every year. I took my oldest to Yosemite for week in May and I am taking my youngest to the Smokies for a week in October, so I bet you still have lots of enjoyment with them ahead of you.
ghaag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 08:40 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
Conifer , Colorado
Welcome from Colorado: I'm a former Minnesotan and lived in the Twin Cities area for 27 years. Both of our sons are "U" graduates. They ended up moving to Denver area and when we retired, we moved with them. We loved Minnesota, and we love the foothills here southwest of Denver. Saw a big bear in the back yard the other day.

We spent a weekend in the Minnesota Airstream Park. Some lot owners have their ground on the rental program. I loved the oaks and all the landscaping around. And is was great fun to see all the Airstreams and meet a lot of nice folks. Here is a photo of our rigs at the park.

Jump right into these forums, or should I say "dig in" since you are a Gopher. There is a wealth of information here and folks that are willing to answer any questions you may have. I've met many Minnesota Airstreamers here.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	122_2236 (Small).JPG
Views:	27
Size:	131.3 KB
ID:	318672  
WBCCI #8607
VAC Region 11

Link to my 1975 Overlander Improvement Journal:
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f17...ml#post2053792
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 08:44 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2018 28' International
Fayetteville , Georgia
What’s the TV choice?
brick
brick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 07:01 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2018 23' International
Minneapolis , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by brick1 View Post
What’s the TV choice?
brick
We just put $500 down on a Grand Cherokee with the 5.7L v-8 hemi.

A little concerned about Jeep's reliability, but we know that going in.

We would've preferred a pickup or a Toyota Sequoia, but they're just too big for our garage.
Gopher John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 11:47 AM   #9
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
John - There are several forum members towing with the JGC. Folks like that Hemi and the multi-speed transmission. It's a nice affordable solution. Maintain it at somewhat shorter intervals like you would with any severe use vehicle. Just as with a truck, it has a high center of gravity, so tow with a 100% attentive driving focus and conservative speeds. Keep your gear loading low and over or between the axles. Tune your hitch lashup for maximum stability, cause good enough ain't. We want to see your smiles down the road. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 08:54 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
Conifer , Colorado
We have a Jeep Grand Cherokee and like it very much. It is a popular vehicle here in Colorado where off roading is a popular activity. We have 9000 miles on it and no defects to report. It drives very nicely on all these curvey roads and deep snow. It also has the power to merge onto the highway with a short, uphill merge ramp. It is a very safe vehicle for us with all the modern driver aids. Helpful for me in the city of Denver.

My son pulls his 69 Globetrotter 21' at about 3600 pounds with his JGC. It does the job nicely. He has also pulled my old 24' Trade Wind at about 4200 pounds with his Jeep. The jeep will pull. It does not have a lot of cargo capacity after you drop 800 pound tongue weight on the back bumper. That is one area you will need to watch out for. Hit the weigh scales and find out where you are ready for travel when the time comes.

David

WBCCI #8607
VAC Region 11

Link to my 1975 Overlander Improvement Journal:
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f17...ml#post2053792
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote