Old 03-12-2011, 07:12 AM   #1
Zog

1968 22' Safari
Nlogan , Utah
New Airstreamer Big Project

This looks like a great forum. I just purchased a big project. It is a 1968 Safari. Or at least it was until the previous owner decided he didn't want his ex-wife to end up with it so he gutted it and turned it in to a tool shed. So far I've removed the wood shelves he had installed and now I'm trying to guess where's the best place to start. There are leaks and soft floor. 3 non-original windows (1 old plexi, 2 Aluminum). He 'converted' the wiring to a 4 pin (no more brakes). Part of me wants to start at the top and seal it, but I also wonder if I should start with the running gear, or maybe the frame and floor? Any suggestions would be appreciated. The overall goal it not a restoration (since the interior is entirely missing) but a conversion to a minimalistic trailer that sleeps 6 with a shower, toilet and small kitchen.

Old 03-12-2011, 07:25 AM   #2
x

XXXX , XXXX
Welcome Zog In my opinion you should start with frame and floor and whuile doing that do the axles. It's best to start with a good base before anything else. Once you have repaired the frame and floor seal up the shell and then you can start on everything else. Guaranteed that if the leaks have caused the floor to rot that the frame has rusted as well.
Sleeping 6 with a washroom and small kitchen will be challenging in a 22fter but doable with a pair of bunks and fold down dinette.
Good luck you indeed have a "big project"
Once you get into it start a thread in the safari section. Post photos and questions and we as a group will try to help.

Old 03-12-2011, 07:56 AM   #3
Zog

1968 22' Safari
Nlogan , Utah
Thank you, I'll tear into the floor today.
Old 03-12-2011, 08:36 AM   #4
x

XXXX , XXXX
Zog be careful the floor is what connects the shell or body of the trailer to the frame. Basically the floor is sitting on top of the frame and all around the perimeter of the trailer inside the walls there is a C shaped channel bolted through the floor into the frame. The outer skins and interior panels are riveted to this channel. If you remove too much floor without supporting the shell you run the risk of having the shell drop down over the frame and buckling the shell.
Old 03-12-2011, 09:17 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Spring Green , Wisconsin
Zog, welcome to the forums. Yes, it would seem you have a large project on your hands, but you have a well defined goal so at least you know where you are headed.

I agree with Chris that repair of the frame and floor should be your first step. I'd also suggest you first remove the belly pan so you can both determine the condition of the frame and see the underside of the floor. It would also be useful if you could salvage some of the old flooring for templates when you cut the new plywood.

A few hours spent reading some of the threads on floor replacement may just save you a lot of work and will definitely give you a better idea of the how to's and when to's of your project.

Good luck and keep us posted. Pictures are always helpful and enjoyed by all of us.
Old 03-12-2011, 12:04 PM   #6
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Welcome to the Forums, Zog. You'll find some great resources here, and we'll enjoy reading about your progress.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1968, safari