Old 09-03-2017, 08:29 AM   #1
Paul Kukstis

2018 30' Classic
Scituate , Massachusetts
New Airstreamer

First timers here from Scituate Ma - taking a big step towards semi-retirement in a couple of years. We pick up our 2018 Classic next month . I Have been reading this forum for over a year now and have to say that it has been most helpful to me in making a choice - a wealth in information - Thank you all! Sheila and I are very excited, a bit nervous, and very much looking forward to our adventures.

Old 09-03-2017, 08:41 AM   #2
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Welcome !!!

Congratulations on the new toy !!

First thing to to - go camping. There's still time before it gets nasty cold. Get out and use it. That's by far the best way to get things sorted out. You don't need to go very far, the end of the driveway is far enough for some

You might want to change the state in your user information from Alaska to Mass. It will reduce confusion later on .... Back when I was young and stupid I used to catch flounder in Hingham harbor just up the coast from you. No idea at all how I survived whatever was in those fish

Bob

Old 09-03-2017, 08:53 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
Davidson County, NC , Highlands County, FL
Welcome! Glad you are here.
Old 09-03-2017, 09:31 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
Welcome to the forums, congratulations on your new AS. Semi-retirement, eh? I guess that means you work when you feel like it? Well, congratulations on that too. I've retired twice now, I think it will stick this time.

Rich & Yvonne
2006 Safari SE -Dora-
2004 4Runner SE

richw46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 11:17 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
St James , New York
Hi everybody last week picked up 2018 cloud 25 ft, iam in NH for two week, my question when driving back home do I shut the power to the entire unit,
Old 09-03-2017, 11:38 AM   #6
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffin View Post
Hi everybody last week picked up 2018 cloud 25 ft, iam in NH for two week, my question when driving back home do I shut the power to the entire unit,
Hi

Welcome !!

If you shut down all power (and the 2018 works like the 2017) the fridge will shut down. Don't ask how I know this .... If you have a solar charger system, it may or may not be impacted by the disconnect. It was not in 2017, it may be in 2018.

Bob
Old 09-03-2017, 01:38 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
Davidson County, NC , Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffin View Post
As you drive along the tow vehicle will charge the battery in the trailer. So you can run a limited quantity of 12 volt things. I would turn off the 12v to 120v inverter since it draws power whether being used or not.

If you switch the fridge to propane it is ok to let it run while towing. Many people stop at a different location to turn off the fridge prior to pulling into a service station for fuel. There is a small danger that the fridge could ignite gasoline fumes if there happen to be a high enough concentration (a fuel spill).

I've been towing like this for more than 20 years. I do not turn off the fridge from the time I leave until the time I get back, months at a time.
Old 09-03-2017, 03:51 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul.kukstis View Post
First timers here from Scituate Ma - taking a big step towards semi-retirement in a couple of years. We pick up our 2018 Classic next month . I Have been reading this forum for over a year now and have to say that it has been most helpful to me in making a choice - a wealth in information - Thank you all! Sheila and I are very excited, a bit nervous, and very much looking forward to our adventures.

Hi and welcome!

Are you new to towing a camper entirely or just new to Airstream? If new to towing - I highly recommend finding a Safe RV Driver training course - usually available at a CDL (commercial driver license) training center.

If new to Airstream - you may also want to check out the local WBCCI units for helpful tips with your new rig! I happen to be a member of the New England Unit (website here: http://newengland.wbcci.net ) and there is a Cape Cod unit that may also be of interest or any other unit you like! These are all in "Region One" but you can actually join any unit at all! Great folks with lots of experience to share.

Congrats on the new trailer - many years of happy camping to you!!
Old 09-04-2017, 09:26 AM   #9
Paul Kukstis

2018 30' Classic
Scituate , Massachusetts
Thanks for the info - this is all new to us.
Old 09-04-2017, 12:06 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Sanford , Florida
Same situation as you but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul.kukstis View Post
We picked up our 2018 25'FB Serenity on 8/19 and hit the road on 8/25. New to Airstream too, new to tow camping too. Here is what we did that was incredibly valuable and enjoyable. We stayed in an Airstream Only RV camp in Helen Ga. for 4 nights (total of 9 night trip). WOW, talk about an education! Second only to the knowledge gained on this great forum! Will share with you one tiny piece of guidance from a fellow AS. After you have dumped black and grey and are on your final day drive home, stop and buy a bag of ice (10 lbs preferred) and dump all the ice down the toilet with some Dawn liquid soap. On your drive home, the ice/dawn will scour your black tank even though it registered zero on your last dump! Maybe a salad bowl full will drain out by the time you get home!