Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-01-2013, 06:08 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1970 31' Sovereign
Asheville , North Carolina
New airstream owner from Asheville, NC - mobile office conversion!

Howdy everyone!

I just today purchased what is said to be a 1970 airstream! I'll upload the pictures from the Craigslist post. It is in pretty decent condition on the exterior (just dirty) and the inside isn't too moist or anything, it is pretty bare, which is what I wanted.

After doing some research, I think it's a 31' - a little bigger than I wanted, but not bad at all, for the price. I paid $2100, with some solar panels + battery, a propane heater...

I'm looking to convert my new Airstream into an office for me. I'm a young Web Developer and working from home is difficult for me because I don't have that specific "space" to work in. I want that to be my airstream.

I know no one cares about anything until there are pictures - so here they are!

Can you guys tell from the pictures if it is in fact a 1971 and what length/model it is? I'm so stupid in forgetting to take a picture of the serial/label.

Looking forward to my Airstream adventures!
jmlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 07:17 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
So you are going to relocate it? You need to check the bearings but if you are not moving it on a regular basis then the axles are on a lower priority then the electrical, so take some more pictures and move it then seal any leaks!
Cliff
Old 11-01-2013, 07:29 PM   #3
Sbb
begorragirl

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denville , New Jersey
Welcome, I offer no help on your question, but understand your intended use...I was out in my"office" just tonight working on my website, had a nice nap in there earlier today too.
2001 Teardrop, Mountain Hardware Tent
For some perfection takes a little longer...
Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 07:48 PM   #4
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Look at the pic's over here: Vintage Airstream Photo Archives - Vintage Airstream That will give you some ideas.

Best way is to get the VIN. Lead-pipe-cinch if you have that.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 07:51 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1970 31' Sovereign
Quote:
Originally Posted by RM66caravel View Post
So you are going to relocate it? You need to check the bearings but if you are not moving it on a regular basis then the axles are on a lower priority then the electrical, so take some more pictures and move it then seal any leaks!
Cliff
Cliff,

I am planning on relocating it when another fellow 'stream member (a family friend) can bring his vehicle to come and get it. It drives fine - the guy will take it partway for me - or even bring it, but I didn't want to make him do that as I'll have to haul it about 30 miles to where I can park it and work on it.

One of the reasons why I got it is that I didn't detect ANY leaks - the thing was SUPER dry. But yes, I'll look for leaks. And I also need to get it titled.

Does it look like a 70's 31' to you guys?

Thanks!
- Julien
Old 11-01-2013, 07:53 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1970 31' Sovereign
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Susan View Post
Look at the pic's over here: Vintage Airstream Photo Archives - Vintage Airstream That will give you some ideas.

Best way is to get the VIN. Lead-pipe-cinch if you have that.

Jim
Yup. It's a '71 - 31 footer - based on those pictures. Down to the climate control. Thanks for the link!
Old 11-02-2013, 08:51 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
I must agree a nice looking 71 and it may be dry but even a new will leak after enough road time! How does it smell? No signs of rodents? You have an idea of what you want in the way of an office? Kitchen, bath and or bed? Check the floor all the way around and if possible look into the belly pan as this will save you headaches later! Nobody likes surprises!
Cliff
Old 11-02-2013, 08:56 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
What does the plate call it tradewind or something to that effect? Could be a 31 but from your picture it is hard to set a scale so could be a 27 footer also.
Cliff
Old 11-02-2013, 09:08 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Looks like an early '70's 31 footer by the length, interior and tail lights. Tail lights look the same as our '72. Welcome!

Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 08:58 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1970 31' Sovereign
Hi again everyone! It is in fact a Sovereign - I didn't mention that but I looked through our emails and that's the model.

@Cliff, it smells great, which is one of the reasons why I decided to get it on the spot. There were some rodents (they left some poop behind) but the guy got a cat and that problem is no longer an issue...

I do have some floor plan ideas, and what I want. No bathroom, so I'd like to remove that, but I am planning on a small kitchenette, with maybe a 2 burner propane top, a sink, and a microwave or something, think IKEA stuff haha.

I guess I should start a thread when I get this thing going. I'll be able to take it from his property in about 2 weeks I hope.

In the meantime, I'll try and go out there and check it out, take some pictures, and do some planning. I will not hesitate to ask questions!

Thanks.
Old 11-02-2013, 11:43 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1970 31' Sovereign
Oh, one more thing. I'm looking around for good vehicles to buy within the next year or two that can tow this thing, any suggestions?

I looked into the VW Touareg but something tells me that I picked a 31 footer and it's not going to cut it... any thoughts on this? I'd love to be able to buy an SUV, so that detached I could take the dog + company, but it's looking like a pickup is going to be my best option... especially after I did some searching around the site.
Old 11-03-2013, 06:02 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
So keep the toilet (every good office needs one) think about the shower in case the other half wants an office romance! Would love to see the floor plans will probably turn out very cool!
Cliff
Old 11-20-2013, 08:50 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1970 31' Sovereign
Whoo hoo! I got the AS safely to the house, it's now in the driveway and I couldn't be happier to start the project. Question - where is the best place to start a resto-mod thread for this guy? I would love a thread that gets enough attention so that people help me out as I have questions and post updates. Forums are a great place to get motivation! Thanks! - Julien
Old 11-20-2013, 01:21 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
Click on the forums tab select trailers then select year and model and your there! Looking forward to your post!
Cliff
Old 11-29-2013, 07:34 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1970 31' Sovereign
Quote:
Originally Posted by RM66caravel View Post
Click on the forums tab select trailers then select year and model and your there! Looking forward to your post!
Cliff
Thanks for the advice Cliff, my new thread is here: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f186...on-113460.html